Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Red face RV Covers

I'm planning to construct a structure to park my baby in as well. I have considered a few options, and am curious about what other Forum members might have built. It would be interesting to me to see some photos of member's various storage facilities.

Old 07-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Picture of a Cover for a Motorhome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMo
I'm planning to construct a structure to park my baby in as well. ...... It would be interesting to me to see some photos of member's various storage facilities.
Here is my "Airstreamport", or, as the AB says, the "carport on steroids"...
she thinks it's an eyesore, and I am proud of it because it does exactly what I want, is stout as hell, and only cost 3,000 bucks out of pocket.

Also shown in the pic is "The Beast", my one ton dually conversion van, the toad for the MoHo, the little Saturn wagon, and the two stacked sections of scaffolding I use to access the top of the Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toys and  Airstreamport.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	7811  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Mine is a vinyl double layer canopy, raised higher using plastic pipe over the support poles. The poles are sunk into plastic buckets filled half way up with concrete. If I had the room I would sink some poles into the ground and make it even more solid, but it sits on my driveway, and tis way can be taken apart if needed, easily.
After a year plus of use, it has saved me a ton of work in cleaning and waxing the roof especially, and kept my AS way nicer overall.
A more permanent structur would be great if you have the room and cash to spend.
Check the canopies and "RV carport" on the web...and EBAY.
I found mine locally at a ridiculous price.(end of season, "Value City")
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I'm actually thinking of constructing a steel building later this summer to house a few of my toys and to provide a good working place even when the weather is not helping.

There are many types of low cost buildings available today such as poly buildings, but I guess you would need the room for such a thing and not everyone has that luxury. However, there are some poly enclosures that are made specifically for RVs. You might want to check them out, just do a search on the net for Poly Buildings.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
RV Cover

Since we traded up to a 25', the RV cover we had for the 19' Bambi just wasn't enough, so we bit the bullet & went with the one in the attached pics. We bought it at a local Fleet Farm store & it measures app 12W x 20L x 10H. The structure is designed to be installed on a pad of sorts, which because of zoning I was not able to put down. What I did was put in some 4x6 treated posts about 18' high, attached 2x8 top boards & then bolted on the structure. The added benefit to this, was it gave me more height. The unit does come with zipper ends. While we could have used the next size longer it just wasn't worth an added cost of $300. So far it has worked great.We'll see come winter how it performs with a snow load.
Best,
Attached Images

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LeeMo, I built a shelter like 87MH's, but just big enough for our 25 foot Excella, at 32 feet long by 12 feet wide. For uprights I obtained 4 used poles from the local power company, and cut these in half to produce 8 poles about 15 feet long. I buried these about 4 feet in the ground. I then used 8 by 2's to link the poles, and for rafters, and covered the structure with a steel roof. I covered the top half of the south side with used plywood to screen the sun. The job took two (long!) days, working alone, and $600. A friend dug the holes with an augur on the back of a tractor. We're very pleased with it. Nick
Old 07-21-2004, 10:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Lee
Pick up the Atvertiser or thrifty knickle. There are adds in there for car ports if your looking for something more perment.

I'm looking at widening my drive some and using some pavers to make a flat area with a little less slope for the coach.

Then I'm probably going to do the same set up Alan has. I will be able to sink some posted into the groung and for go the buckets but other wise about the same. I will be nice to leave the roof vents cracked to vent and not have to worry about rain.

They hope is to move where we have a better parking situation and eventually build a shop with a car port for the coach on the side. So I don't want anything with a lot of expense at this point or too perment.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:27 PM   #8
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
RV Cover

Here is a picture of what I threw together out of surplus oil field pipe until I can get my equipment barn / RV storage / garage completed.
Attached Images

GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Smile RV Covers

Thanks to all for the information. Based on the covenants of my neighborhood, I will have to go with either a wood or metal interior support structure. The covenants say the outside appearance must be the same as the main structure--my house has wood siding.

With that in mind, I had considered one of those $1500 metal structures (30l x 18w x 16h) then attaching support framing for the wood siding...with the hope that it wouldn't look to tacky. I was thinking I might be able to pass it off even with a dark metal roof exposed. Nonetheless, I need to do something to protect the MoHo from the elements and pine trees.

Again, thanks to all for the feedback. As always, I'm very impressed with the ingenuity of some of you folks. Man, I love this website!

Your Pal,

Lee
Old 07-21-2004, 03:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMo
Thanks to all for the information. Based on the covenants of my neighborhood, I will have to go with either a wood or metal interior support structure. The covenants say the outside appearance must be the same as the main structure--my house has wood siding.

With that in mind, I had considered one of those $1500 metal structures (30l x 18w x 16h) then attaching support framing for the wood siding...with the hope that it wouldn't look to tacky. I was thinking I might be able to pass it off even with a dark metal roof exposed. Nonetheless, I need to do something to protect the MoHo from the elements and pine trees.

Again, thanks to all for the feedback. As always, I'm very impressed with the ingenuity of some of you folks. Man, I love this website!

Your Pal,

Lee
Best thing I ever didd for my yard is get rid of ALL the pine trees. Nothing good can come from them but paper and lumber.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Check the building codes where you live before you put up a structure. Things change, temporary structures are now considered permanent in some places. We wanted to put up a temporary cover ( the ones you buy in a catalog ) but our county wouldn’t let us. They consider them an eye sore.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote