Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Riveting tidbits about: Wabbiteer

Wabbiteer, welcome to the hot seat

1. What did/do you do for a living?

2. Have you lived in Minnesota all of your life?

3. You have 2 Airstreams? Which is your favorite and why?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Heyas, Hiyas & Hellos Folks. Frankly I don't know whether to wind my watch or to bark at the moon at this honor!

After reading the previous inductees CV's my only option is full disclosure, be gentle what you ask, friends

1)
What did* you do for a living, and what do you do now?

At 21 I found myself waking up every morning for the next thirteen years feeling like I'd gotten a brand new toy train to set up underneath the Christmas Tree, except it was the Washington, D.C. MetroRail Subway system and they paid me to be an Electromechical Inspector on the rolling stock. My better half here accuses me of trying to recreate my own railcar fleet using junk Airstreams and I'm afraid she is correct...

Currently I swap items on eBay, never getting a dollar ahead, and nurse my meager savings and investments. I haven't gotten a real paycheck or paid taxes since 1995.

2. Have you lived in Minnesota all of your life?

Once completely separated from the MetroRail for hearing problems there was a three year recall period they they chose to let lapse, thusly within weeks after that I found myself in St Paul, MN, having moved here for Love.

3. You have 2 Airstreams? Which is your favorite and why?

Neither! Eventually the two trailers will be merged and the bent one will live out its days as the cheapest 25-foot long garden shed money can't buy.

My first trailer was the '73 27' that ended up being a candidate for the SuperFund Toxic Waste Site list. It sits out there now gutted to the liners with most interior pieces being discarded except the aluminum - I was thinking of selling & donating pieces but the chances of vectoring illness or other grief on some poor soul over ruled that....

Thus came about the parts trailer - A $1500 '72 29' that got dropped off a undersized hitch ball somewhen and had a gentle roll over. This trailer smells faintly like sitting at your Great Aunts bedroom makeup vanity set - and the interior is complete but the exterior is toast.

I am currently amassing parts for a diesel heated trailer with solar heat and electricity provisions, like a powerhouse to anchor a homesteading adventure on new rural property in a WARMER CLIMATE. . .

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
1. You got fiber broadband a year ago and were expecting a "new IT renaissance." And then you didn't blog again. What happened?

2. What drives you to buy new airstreams? What drives you to keep the old ones?

3. What's your favorite component of Airstream hardware? Which piece or design decision makes you just sit there and go, "Wish I thought of that!"
Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Is the "park" still coming along?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
I am currently amassing parts for a diesel heated trailer with solar heat and electricity provisions, like a powerhouse to anchor a homesteading adventure on new rural property in a WARMER CLIMATE. . .
Any ideas where that might be? The rural property?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Dave Park

1) You got fiber broadband a year ago and were expecting a "new IT renaissance." And then you didn't blog again. What happened?

Going broadband was neat for about 15 minutes. There are just more things online possible that I won't get around to doing it seems.

On blogging - what I really want is a script that will synchronize a local inbox-style picture folder to my online blog and provide an input page for a short note to be added that will update an online calender to include the note with click through to a page of automatically generated thumbnails images, and the thumbnail links opening that date range of photos in a slideshow format with additional room for comments or note... I've seen it done well by a gentleman in Australia on his private website where he documented the construction and RE projects for an extensive underground house. He said he'd help if I got it started...

Restaurant - Calendar is the crippled website I seem to enjoy ignoring these days...

2a) What drives you to buy new airstreams?

I can not afford new Airstreams. My F-150 has driven me to buy the ones I do have.

2b) What drives you to keep the old ones?

The original idea was to have a trailer to live in while I improved rural property - live in it while I thrash about building an access road and improve the site or refurbish some existing farmhouse.. and all the rest of that rot.

As I age I am finding I am less than thrilled in paying 27 per mile for the thrill of traveling with my trailer in tow, on my pension I could travel about 100 miles a day before I turn into a pumpkin, albeit a shiny aluminum pumpkin.

3) What's your favorite component of Airstream hardware? Which piece or design decision makes you just sit there and go, "Wish I thought of that!"

Hardest question yet. Nothing about the early seventies trailers is paticulalry remarkable but it seems as a whole the idea of an affordable long lasting and stable platform to renovate to suit personal tastes and budgets is the kernal of logic I most admire... Any kid, person or family can jump into the deep end with one of these and have a world-class trailer using little money with enough scheming and labor.

soldiermedic

1) Is the "park" still coming along?

I think he's asking about me having three armored-weather-proof cellphone tower 48VDC generators stashed away and my plan to put one at each of my rural land 'camping' pads, say one in Maine, one in the Florida Panhandle, and one in the middle between them that I already own

The Generators were the easy part - I've backed out of three real estate seals so far for various reasons. I am still hoping for the middle-seaboard property I actually own to become accesible, yes Virginia, there is still land-locked property that only $$$$$ will cure...

DanielB

1) Any ideas where that might be? The rural property?

Your Charleston area looks nice - We spent our tourist dollars down your way after Hugo and had a great time... Far western SC looks good but I guess everyone from Atlanta has already bought up anything worth having...

Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
The cat is awesome. What is his/her name?

What sorts of projects do you enjoy working on the most? Have you any inventions?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
DanielB

1) The cat is awesome. What is his/her name?

YouTube - zoomynxus's Channel

Thats is Missouri, aka. Boo, Cougar, Coo, Zoo, Zeus, Zoobear, Zuree, Tomah...

He is a wild farm cat and the first time I saw him it was from me trying to solve the source of a quiet Coyote song I was thinking was coming from a the far fenceline of this 40 acre field. I was staring over the tops of the mid-April new corn toward the back fence line when my ears told me the sound was nearer than farther... and getting closer... I'd actually taken a few steps back away from the sound when this 20 weeks of age tomcat came into view thirty feet out in the corn field and his song changed to a happy rhyming high-feline language prose - the look on his face was very happy as I had passed some test. He came directly up to me and kept talking the whole time - telling me of the horses, the cattle, who-was-who in his cat world... Can you imagine a cat using using mimicry of his most feared enemy as a psy-ops exercise while crossing a huge field?

Some nights later I slept out on the deck in a chaise lounge using a sleeping bag - and when I woke up he was curled up shivering on the deck at my feet. That's when I knew there was zero chance in me not being adopted by this fine fellow.

I called home at 10pm every night using my cell phone while standing in the yard and the sound of my voice always brought him in. Yes, I gave him some treats, but the frogs, toads and the area-light stunned insects and other small critters were so plentiful he needed no food. I'd forward those same prey foods with diverse proteins gave him a huge boost on intelligence. I showed him my pick-up truck, just letting him sit in it the first night, the second there was food, the third night I turned on the key and let it roll forward w/o the engine on, the next night all the above AND starting the engine briefly... Maybe he chose me cause I had a sharp ride.

Anyway - the last day I was there it was 5AM and I told him is he was there when I left I'd take him with me... 3:30PM I was being seen off by my Uncle and neighbors, the truck gaining speed up the drive and turning onto the road... when everyone started shouting... a small black and white cat had run out of the corn field and was taking huge Hail-Mary leaps trying to catch up to the truck. Needless to say he was in the passenger seat before I formally left.

Now he's got 70,000 miles co-piloting the vehicles I drive in, he's been coast to coast and as far south as Austin. And he has a female companion Minxy who, if she could, would be dressed in her Sunday best and on best behavior every minute while she is traveling.

2) What sorts of projects do you enjoy working on the most? Have you any inventions?

I'll work on anything IF I have companions that are somewhat equally motivated. The things I enjoy the most are the things that absorb one until the passage of time goes unnoticed - writing, painting, prospecting, trekking, work...

Any inventions or processes I ever came up with stayed with the Subway repair shops - I solved a few mysteries and facilitated projects and processes that were never recognized since the managers were fragile and carried grudges, y'all know those for whom cultivating an attitude among their labor force that the vilest form of slander is excellent work performed cheerfully?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Beautiful cat, amazing story.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Thanks LJH - your profile shows your tow vehicle as a 99 Chev Suburban named "Planet Killer" . . .. <> .. . . Thats a good one, wish I would've thought of it. Got any questions?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What an awesome cat! Glad he didn't miss the bus that day

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Thank you Stefrobrts ~~ you'd ought to hear him venting about going for walks near zero degrees... Times like that I am glad he likes me.

C'mon people.. . Ya got ol' Rabbit Ear in the dunk tank & the throws are free!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Besides Airstreams and your adorable kitty - what are some of your other hobbies?
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
x

XXXX , XXXX
O.K. I'll throw. " Ol Rabbit Ear" or Wabbiteer? What's the story behind the nickname/screen. If it's half as interesting as the cat tale it'll be great.