Old 01-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
InsideOut

1) What are some of your other hobbies?

I know I am forgetting something - I dabble in DIY RE, complain about energy prices, love to 'what-if' the stock market, admire architecture and construction and engineering, gawk at pretty women (dead if didn't, dead if I do), am a capable fix-it man as a carpenter, mechanic, electrician... yanno all the standard goof-ball stuff.

After working for the Subway in buildings covering 4 acres I find trying to do anything in a residential setting leads to me resembling 'PigPen' from the Charlie Brown Cartoons, so is 'Clutter and Collections' a Hobby? I am very good at finding priceless loot and the odd treasure which nearly always follows me home - but I am extremely poor at separating myself from "things obtained" (the cloud of dust following PigPen around) .. .

Ebay looks ideal until one has to find boxes and padding to disappear items with - then there is always will the buyer be satisfied with the crumbly wooden Kraft Process Cheese boxes or fifty pounds of loose PV solar cells too fragile to ship? I simply have a magnetic personality when it comes to hoarding and incubating junk!

Anyhow - sorry to bark at the moon on y'all.

One travel hobby I repeated for years was visiting the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas - I'd try to stay for 5 to 10 days every summer and put in 10 hour days washing pea gravels from now-defunct commercial mine that started there around 1900. I've seen 115F days out on the dirt fields where the heat doesn't rise until 2AM and got some good exercise in trying to wash down 15 or 20 buckets of gumball clay silt to release the gravel to hope there was a diamond among them.

How do these look as the rewards for 500 buckets of muck screened out? As diamonds go they have little or no value, but as American-sourced collectors pieces they may be worth $35 each. You can usually tell if it from that mine if the crystals are smushed or oblong, plus sometimes "burnt' as the 100 million year old eruption was especially violent and did not allow the crystals to stay at the 'sweet spot' for formation but for a moment...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
wasagachris

1) Wabbiteer? What's the story behind the nickname/screen.

Tinnitus.. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

"Tinnitus
is the perception of sound within the human ear in the absence of corresponding external sound.. . . ..a pure steady cluster of tones like that heard during a hearing test.. . . ..unable to hear clearly external sounds which occur within the same range of frequencies as their "phantom sounds".

Clank two empty wine bottles together with your face nearby (I don't recommend it, example is emptying a recycle bin so the glass claps together) and that acoustic pressure is what I have 24/7. It's kind of like sticking your head out the window of a car, plus loitering near a Lear Jet with the turbines spooling up, plus some real low frequency things that should be shattering glass and making the public run in panic all in one.

Womens voices, especially the consonants disappear on me. I had to approach my coworkers at the subway to explain if I didn't see their lips move when around heavy machinery it was iffy if I would even know someone was there or talking, a whole load of stress ended on separating from line duty there.

Anyhow - Rabbit Ear is from my ears feeling three feet across sometimes. Was that too much information?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
InsideOut

1) What are some of your other hobbies?

...but I am extremely poor at separating myself from "things obtained" (the cloud of dust following PigPen around) .. .

<snip>

I simply have a magnetic personality when it comes to hoarding and incubating junk!
"Incubating junk" has become all the rage of late...they even have a couple of TV shows about it these days...maybe you can become famous! Uh, well, on second thought...maybe that's not the kind of fame you'd want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post

How do these look as the rewards for 500 buckets of muck screened out? As diamonds go they have little or no value, but as American-sourced collectors pieces they may be worth $35 each.
Nice! I'd like to try my hand at that kind of treasure hunting someday...fun!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
What's next for the Wabbiteer?

What is your favorite vice?

Why do you have more than one AS, and how did that come about?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Where did you grow up?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Dave Park

1) What is your favorite vice?

I enjoy tobacco - I've grown it here and found whatever price it is in the stores is cheap compared to the insight, labor & diligence it takes to produce a quality crop. I've been told, and believe, the only thing harder to produce than a godly tobacco is bourbon. Although Johnny Walker is a friend of mine I seldom drink - I've known too many people led down the merry path by drinking in life with a gusto, the brain cell regions targeted by ethanol start making situations, politics, people, relatives and any physical resource looking like vessels to be consumed for the WIIFM factor rather than protected or nurtured. But hey, what do I know.

2) Why do you have more than one AS, and how did that come about?

My first trailer was the '73 27' that ended up being a candidate for the SuperFund Toxic Waste Site list. It sits out there now gutted to the liners with most interior pieces being discarded except the aluminum - I was thinking of selling & donating pieces but the chances of vectoring illness or other grief on some poor soul over ruled that....

Thus came about the parts trailer - A (Craigslist) $1500 '72 29' that got dropped off a undersized hitch ball somewhen and had a gentle roll over. This trailer smells faintly like sitting at your Great Aunts bedroom makeup vanity set - and the interior is complete but the exterior is toast.

Eventually the two trailers will be merged and the bent one will live out its days as the cheapest 25-foot long garden shed money can't buy. (Reply copied from comment two item 3 in this thread)

DanielB

1) Where did you grow up?

You may be giving me too much credit on that one. I spent the first four years in the woods behind a half-mile long driveway fifty miles from Washington, D.C. and then the next thirty-five years staying within a couple of miles of the D.C. border in Maryland. Probably all my growing up occurred when my first marriage dissolved at the tender age of twenty-one; I found out sharing dreams 98% of the time merely gave other parties traction or mass to react against toward bettering their own positions. Again, probably too much information but at least 98% of my readers will have some food for thought (just kidding!).

Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I don't know you, but I think you are a cool dude.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Soldiermedic, I seem to remember yakking about making a renewable energy RV campground 1.2 eons ago.. Just let it be known my matching all the numbers on a valid lottery ticket would make it happen yet... That was wild about the recent 290 million dollar winners matching 4 of the 6 "Lost" series Dharma number set!

DanielB: I don't know you, but I think you are a cool dude.

Doubtful. Very doubtful. I'm just your average near-hermit spending far too much time trying to figure out WTH happened instead of trying to figure out WTH is going to happen

EPILOGUE: 45 hours and no questions.. my 15 minutes of fame is vanishing! Time to retire Wabbiteer alongside greats like CrawfordGene, silverhoot, insideout, danielb, dave park... Lets hope the next invited suspect, err... target, err... honoree accepts and cooperates...

Old 01-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
The question I aways ask.

What is your favorite types of music?

Name your all time favorite bands or artist.

Name a favorite band or artist we may never of heard of.

I have ulterior motives for these questions.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
SilverHoot

1) What is your favorite types of music? Name your all time favorite bands or artist.

I've rarely sought out tunes - to buy a cassette or LP only meant getting hit with that 'gotcha' feeling of getting fleeced for my $3, $5, $7 bucks and being dragged through filler tracks or a poor pressing or faded tape. Too many artists like the sound of their own voice IMHO.

I just saw a line in a movie a week or two ago... Q:How do you know you're in love?A: The songs makes sense.

The tunes OTHER people had are what I remember places and times by... I've never owned - America, Eagles, Yes, Hendrix, Creedence, Santanna, Jeff Beck, Heart, Starship,
ELO, RUSH, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Dire Straights, U2... The last ten years its whatever is being played without advertisements - Satellite Radio...

My first album was Rod Stewarts "Every Picture Tells a Story" Album - and that I spotted from an overpass as it was lying in the middle lane of the DC Capitol Beltway in a mailing sleeve... and the last Album I bought was by Zero-7 just for the two instrumentals on it...

3) Name a favorite band or artist we may never of heard of...

Deanna Bogart
- about 88 or so the lady in my life wanted to boogie down to Key West to see the DBB play at Sloppy Joes. We tent camped and had a blast.