Old 12-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Riveting tidbits about: DanielB

DanielB, welcome to the hot seat

1. What originally attracted you to Airstreams?

2. What is the most unexpectedly enjoyable skill you've acquired so far in your restoration??

3. How do you plan to use your Airstream once she's finished?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Good to be here. Be gentle.

1) The body style is very cool looking. That and the price. Some older Airstreams are surprisingly affordable. So for affordability, quality, beauty, and if a person is looking for a project.. the perfect storm.

2) The surprising thing is that I am enjoying the dirty work it so much. That's about all that I've done so far. And I feel good about the little things that I've learned so far. I'm anticipating that I will like doing some sheet metal fabrication.

3) I have no plan. I think that I will wind up living in it at some point. I have a 10 acre lot back home in NC about 3 hours away that I go to a good bit. I'm sure I'll be dragging her up there. In the meantime weekend camping closer to home. I live on the edge of Francis Marion National Forest which I've hiked and tent camped in. It will be awesome chilling in the Airstream.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
1. Have you made a plan to restore or refurbish your Airstream, or are you waiting for it to speak to you a little more?

2. What's not going back the way it was, and why?

3. I have a fascination with land, and know I will buy acreage in the future. What attracted you to the land, and what are the best features of the parcel you own?
Old 12-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
1) and 2) I'm taking it one step at a time. Each step of the way I'm having so much to learn.. and the interior will pretty much be the last thing. However.. I had a motorhome before and the one thing that I want to minimize is the "cramp factor" an open, minimal interior. Beyond that I really want a porcelain toilet and a roomy shower. And more exterior storage area.

3) I looked and looked for land and finally did run across this piece that is fairly close to where I grew up and it was big enough and the price was within my means. The think that I like most about it is that it is big enough so that I can drive up in it and it is completely private. I don't have to look at anybody and nobody has to look at me.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Does your avatar have a personal resemblance to you or someone you know?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
lol.. I've thought about getting something more.. benign.. but I really do like that raccoon.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
lol.. I've thought about getting something more.. benign.. but I really do like that raccoon.
His evil twin lives on my property. He has beat up a couple of dogs and wreaked havoc in my MIL's storage building. He managed to get in and get into the spare fridge. Seemed to like the pumpkin pies the best.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Enough with the Airstream niceties, already! Let's get personal. Tell us all you dare about yourself. Where did you grow up? What do you (or did you) do for a living? What is your marital status? Do you have any children that you know of? Are you wanted by the Police in a foreign country?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Single, never married. I have an 18yo son who just started college. I've been a single parent for the past 12 years or so.

For most of my life I grew up in the Sandhills area of NC. Me and my 6 brothers and 1 sister (I am second oldest) grew up in old sharecropper houses and worked in the tobacco fields in the summer. No running water, wood heater, axe.

I quit high school at 17 and joined the navy for one tour. Got my GED in the Navy Went to college using the GI bill. Took 9 years to finish. I got a BA in Journalism with a minor in International Studies and a BS in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics.

I started out in Computer Operations in 87 when I was in college. I did that for about 10 years then worked as a Programmer/Solutions Developer for about 10, now back in Operations again. I like Operations because I don't actually have to produce anything.

My favorite hobby is Google News.

I court no favor from power and seek no position or privilege. I will defend the vulnerable and the weak. I am fierce.

My favorite quote: "The birds have their nests, and the foxes have their dens, but the son of man has no place to lay his head"
Old 12-24-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post

I court no favor from power and seek no position or privilege. I will defend the vulnerable and the weak. I am fierce.

My favorite quote: "The birds have their nests, and the foxes have their dens, but the son of man has no place to lay his head"
So.... you love pink fuzzie slippers, long walks and sunsets?

What is your perfect Ideal Airstream (assuming no funds limitations)?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I see you live in Washington. My mother's family is from there. Spokane.

An ideal Airstream would be wider than the one that I have now. Ten feet wide would be good. I don't know if they make them that wide.
60 inch plasma TV with satellite feeds of worldwide and regional news broadcasts.
Very comfortable couch.
Porcelain toilet, roomy shower with an unlimited supply of hot water.
Zero plastic.
NSA/CIA quality parabolic microphone mounted on the roof disguised as a satellite receiver, with a remote control for aiming it.
Infrared floodlights on the outside. Disguised, of course.
George Foreman grill.
Refrigerator
More outside storage.
Push button automatic trailer levelers.

I think that might do it..