Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Retirement "Opportunities" and random ranting.

RULE1-We don't have problems or challenges, we have opportunities. Misery may love company but no one ever says that company loves misery..... so I'll try to share a few helpful suggestions, lessons and observations without being harsh or mean spirited. (except when it's just funny)

There is NO such thing as fast wireless.... if you've been spoiled by fiber optic full T-1 speeds. And if your work has had you using a full-sized keyboard for years, the smaller flat ones on space-saving ones like this @##@**! will drive you nuts. Buy something that will let you use a standard keyboard and a screen that is big enough to keep you from getting eye strain.

FLU SHOTS - are a sound idea especially if you have any lung problems... but why aren't doctors and drug chains reminding us that tetanus shots only last about as long as trailer tires. I recently met a man who lived through it... it's hideous, with a huge fatality rate, and you can get it with an exposure as small as a scratch. A trip to your local drug store and you're done.... so if you're restoring an old Airstream start with a shot in the ass.

Tomorrow's installment? Hair... dye it or go silver? Pros and Cons.

Paula
Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I was working on a barb wire fence where wild hogs had been going through and cut my arm on a piece of rusty wire.

My wife ask me how long since my last tetanus shot and I said who knows? Trip to doctor and almost $200 later...got my shot.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
[emoji23]
Old 03-19-2017, 03:55 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For a "home" computer, you can connect an HDMI wire from it to the TV in your trailer, and use that as a monitor. You can also connect a full size wireless keyboard to it using bluetooth or wireless dongle.
"High speed" is relative. We have 60Mbps at home, but on the road, I'm not going to complain about anything better than 128k. After getting used to it at home, the slower speeds make web page loading seem like watching glaciers move...
Don't get me started on shots. I have never had flu shot in my life, and have never gotten the flu, ever. In December, my doctor insisted I get a flu shot, and I insisted I wouldn't. Ultimately, she agreed, then told me it was time for my tetanus shot. Okay, I'll get one of those, since I get my hands and arms scratched up by aluminum regularly. Turned out they gave me a flu shot, and just told me it was a tetanus shot. When I found out, I was beyond furious, and am now in the market for a new doctor.
As for hair, it is currently falling out faster than it can turn grey...
Old 03-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I dyed my hair for a number of years, but the silver streak showing brightly against my dyed hair by week three was just a pia...so I cut it short into layers, grew it out, and never looked back.

Too high maintenance, in my opinion.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I am at 10-15 years away from the big R. But I recently decided to change my hair strategy. I was able to embrace it as a political statement, which helped me to keep it feeling empowering.

The 8 weeks had become every 6 weeks and was threatening to become every 4 weeks.

At every 4 weeks at a full service salon (I have a lot of allergy issues and home process not an option) I ran the math.

Decided that one thing I could do about "income inequality" and embracing acceptance of all shapes/sizes/colors/ages was to put that $5-10,000 that I would spend over the remainder of my working life keeping my hair not gray into my savings vs spending it at the salon. And to show the world my true self and hopefully help others do the same without the pressure to look the same in our 50s as in our 30s.

Sorry if this seems too political. But sometimes having a underlying reason helps with what many would view as a practical decision.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Excellent thread!

My doctor tells me flu shots are really about protecting others. Do you have grandchildren in your life? Older/ailing parents? Your flu shot is one more way to help those more susceptible than you by reducing their potential exposure.

Tetanus shot - can't remember the last time so thanks for the reminder. Will chat with my Doc.

Hair...wish I still had it. Coloring? I think of it this way - Emmy Lou Harris not only has one of the most compelling voices on the planet, but that glorious silver/white mane just makes her seem more accessible and the songs more believable.

My mom always said she earned every one of those grey hairs - I apparently accounted for the majority of them - and was proud of them. I realize everyone's mileage can vary...

Frankly, I'm tempted to start counting the cost of razors for daily shaving (how annoying) and bi-weekly haircuts - to say nothing of dry cleaning bills for work clothes and realizing I'm going to be quite wealthy in retirement for all the crap I can start doing without [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I am at 10-15 years away from the big R. But I recently decided to change my hair strategy. I was able to embrace it as a political statement, which helped me to keep it feeling empowering.

The 8 weeks had become every 6 weeks and was threatening to become every 4 weeks.

At every 4 weeks at a full service salon (I have a lot of allergy issues and home process not an option) I ran the math.

Decided that one thing I could do about "income inequality" and embracing acceptance of all shapes/sizes/colors/ages was to put that $5-10,000 that I would spend over the remainder of my working life keeping my hair not gray into my savings vs spending it at the salon. And to show the world my true self and hopefully help others do the same without the pressure to look the same in our 50s as in our 30s.

Sorry if this seems too political. But sometimes having a underlying reason helps with what many would view as a practical decision.
I find your reasoning not so political, but very practical and refreshing. Most of my girl friends do color their hair. Not a big deal but it's usually more meaningful for other women, for themselves, but not something any of my male friends really care about. Me personally, I much prefer natural color and find years of treatment leaves hair destroyed, but if it means something to that person, no problem. I think what makes someone attractive and interesting usually has little to do with their hair. Of course, at the rate my forehead is growing I really hope that's the case!

Interesting thread. Thanks.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We both just turned 50, can't remember last time I got tetanus shot, good reminder. Wife dies hair, her and the daughters convinced me to do it a few times, but I quit. I like to think I earned them as mentioned above, and frankly, I don't have to look at myself, so really don't care.

Retirement hopefully is 10 years away, depends on what the 4 kids do for college. I want to sell everything and go mobile, wife not a fan..... yet... got 10 years to figure that out lol......
Old 03-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Just got a tetnus shot Tuesday. Also hepatitis A and B. Plus typhoid, pertussis and something else. Heading to Asia is why. I think tetnus is every 10 years. You know it's tetnus because the arm (where it's injected) will ache for about three days.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
Thank you for starting this discussion. I think many of us get in the daily working rut and too soon, it seems like life has passed us by. If we truly want to enjoy our "later years", we need to take control of the present. Changing "bad habits" so we can travel and hike or paddle or cycle the country or just our neighborhood. If we need medication for hypertension, diabetes, etc, take it and then think of things we can do to prevent rapid progression of disease. Adopting healthier lifestyles, getting immunizations, exercise, wt loss etc are all important. Tomorrow is today, live it, love it, and keep enjoying the smaller snippets of camping and travel until you can do it full time.
My epiphany came with our first longer camping trip 2 years ago and I couldn't keep up with my husband who is 2 years older than me. I was holding him back, and I didn't like it at all. Now on the road with a healthier lifestyle, I am making progress and look forward to continuing the process so when I quit working, I can hit the road running instead of a slow walk.
Just my 2 cents.
Gina
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Hmmm...re:hair coloring- not ready to give it up yet, but love that beautiful head of thick white or gray hair some people have... just not sure my grandkids would know me- but they get a peek when I overshoot my appt. and get a wide swath of mousey gray in my part!

Flu shots- no choice- mandatory this year for all clinical personnel- didn't get the flu but never have. I DO NOT like NOT having the option, however. PLEASE GET YOUR TETANUS SHOT!!!

Regarding fast wireless, well, I'm a dinosaur, and probably don't know fast from slow, but when we camp I'd rather be looking at my grandchildren's beautiful faces or the incredible natural beauty surrounding us
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
For those that are considering giving up the hair color but not quite there yet.

Try getting it highlighted with two colors instead of all over colored. Highlights are a blend so it grows out a little bit different.

There are also several different types of gray hair. Usually there is a grey, white or silver and the coarseness of the hairs are quite different.

Luckily I'm only getting mine done twice a year at this stage but yikes it's costly and in retirement that money could certainly go towards better uses.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
My hair went gray early. I've been telling folks for years been dying it gray. Actually this is now a fad with young kids. Saw a couple of 16ish girls the other day with long heads of gray hair. Got my attention. My son explained the fad.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
When I was active duty, they would line us up at Thursday morning muster and run us down a line of corpsman for our annual flu shot. No exceptions except ready flight crew (who would be found later and stabbed with same)

Once I retired, I generally forgot about them until I hit the big "60" and now I just roll up the sleeve and let my Doctor harpoon away... Flu, Shingles, Pneumonia, Tetanus -- thankfully my insurance covers them all.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
For those that are considering giving up the hair color but not quite there yet.

Try getting it highlighted with two colors instead of all over colored. Highlights are a blend so it grows out a little bit different.
Red on the left, green on the right? It would certainly be an interesting look!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I thought one of us might say that. Silly Billies we are.👩👵👱

Two shades of brown or blond depending on your own color.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I get a semi-annual checkup and I always ask my doctor to review my shot list. I'm like Les Nesmond on WKRP, I always have a Band-Aid on me somewhere... or a cut.

A tetanus booster is needed every 10 years. (Tpd - Tetanus, Pertussis, Diphtheria.) Pertussis is whooping cough and can be easily transmitted to a child, it can kill them. Get the shot. Anyone who works on their AS or tools in general can get tetanus. It's only every 10 years; get the shot.

If you're over 65 you should get the pneumonia vaccine to help protect yourself. It won't guarantee you won't get it, but it reduces the risk. Annual, I believe. Get the shingles vaccine too. We had a guy at work with it, very ugly, nasty and painful.

The flu vaccine is a dead virus, you cannot get the flu from the flu vaccine. You can get a reaction to it, sometimes severe, depending on allergies. Discuss with your doctor. This also doesn't necessarily prevent you from getting the flu because the strain can mutate. Survival chances are better if you get the vaccine. The Spanish flu killed millions world-wide. It's a particularly nasty way to die. Get the shot

Hi speed Internet. That's like saying high speed Interstate highway. Sometimes you go fast, sometimes you don't.
How many people want to use that road?
How many people are you sharing your connection with?
You can have a Ferrari but if the road is clogged, you're not going to get anywhere fast. If everyone wants to go to the same place, the parking lot is going to be full. Same with a particular site, it can get clogged.

To make life easier you can get a laptop with a large screen and attach a USB keyboard. This is easier to store but it is a bigger device. You can modify your current laptop by attaching a USB keyboard and DVI/HDMI monitor attached (Most newer LCD TVs can be connected to a laptop.).
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Red on the left, green on the right? It would certainly be an interesting look!
Very nautical, too. It might get you invited to be on the Red Green show too.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've never had the flu, either, but my PCP has strongly urged the shot for probably the last 10 years, and so I get it.

I also got the series of pneumonia shots during this same time period, which I've never had, either.

My PCP keeps a watch on my tetanus timetable, and gives that to me when it's due. It just seems the wise thing to do.

As we get older, tho really at any age, we just don't know what could happen or might strike us unexpectedly, so what we can do for prevention seems prudent to follow up with.

I have met people in their 60's who don't see a doctor regularly, have never had a colonoscopy or other preventative screenings, and just figure that when their time is up, it's up.

Understandable, but I do it differently....I would like to remain healthy and active as long as possible, to see my grands graduate from high school and college, and perhaps to marry.

Maggie