Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Hair color, I've thought about a nice platinum on my grey, Billy Idol style. But I've never colored it before. I tune mine up self inflicted style, razor or a Wahl buzz.
Flu shots is a crap shoot, if the CDC picked the right strains for that year. It is said they got it right this year, last year nope, wouldn't have helped at all.
Way over due on the tetanus, and other heavily marketed injected "cures"
Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #22
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Paula, you are an absolute treasure. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My story: I just turned 60 and am looking to open a new chapter in my life. I work for "one of those" Fortune 50 companies that everybody will know if I mention the name. I'm getting ready to open my own small business (translation: that Fortune 50 is sucking the life outta me).

I'll be following along to glean the wisdom of others. I don't have much to offer in the way of hair dressings, 'cause there isn't much there to make a fair judgement.

This thread should be a hoot. Glad I ran across it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #23
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We get flu shots and other relevant vaccinations per their recommended schedules. In our minds, a crapshoot is better than just plain crap. Besides, one of these years, getting those vaccinations might save us or someone we love. No point being a chicken about getting poked, just get it over with and move on.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Just got a tetnus shot Tuesday. Also hepatitis A and B. Plus typhoid, pertussis and something else. Heading to Asia is why. I think tetnus is every 10 years. You know it's tetnus because the arm (where it's injected) will ache for about three days.
I too got a tetanus booster last fall. Not only did I have a shoulder ache, but it made me about half sick for a couple days. Slight fever and flu-like symptoms, for lack of a better description. Didn't do that last time. But doc said not unusual.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TO DYE FOR
My natural color was sort of a middle brown and in my 40's a few silver hairs showed up around the edges... but the rest gradually just started getting dull. I experimented with a reddish brunette, then settled on a warm medium blonde which sure looked golden brown to me... and got huge approval from all my customers. IMHO choosing a tint that is believable is key if you color your hair beyond age 50. Raven black will draw attention to those smile lines! I really was ready to go silver by my late 50's but my hair wasn't cooperating. "Gun metal gray" is not attractive on most people, but the "skunk stripe" where the dye ends and the real color starts is a pain to hide. My hair grows fast and if I didn't retouch the part every 2 weeks it got very visible, though the color looked more natural as it faded a bit. The ammonia smell that lasts 2-3 days after coloring is another "bonus" but it does kill any "no-see-ums" if you are nuts enough to color your hair inside the trailer.... too small a space, trust me on this! I used to do it at the business late in the evening.

Selling our business was an opportunity that popped up without much advance notice - and we scrambled for weeks and weeks with due diligence issues.... and the gray really started showing... but lo, it was suddenly more silvery. I had the stylist cut off all but 1 1/2 inch which was pretty drastic, and easy to care for. After it grew out a bit I started to like it a lot more.

I do notice that I get a lot more "boy scouts" offering to lift heavy stuff for me and help with hitching and unhitching trailer. I've decided to accept more help after I tore muscles in both shoulders within 5 days (just a freak accident - and then I overloaded the good one. All better now.)

The downside of going silver? Changing at least part of your wardrobe and makeup colors to better fit with the new hair color.... And of course a silver Sprinter for a tow vehicle to coordinate the whole ensemble can't be too far behind can it?

Next chapter? Tankless water heater, upsides and downsides.

Paula
Old 03-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
TO DYE FOR
My natural color was sort of a middle brown and in my 40's a few silver hairs showed up around the edges... but the rest gradually just started getting dull. I experimented with a reddish brunette, then settled on a warm medium blonde which sure looked golden brown to me... and got huge approval from all my customers. IMHO choosing a tint that is believable is key if you color your hair beyond age 50. Raven black will draw attention to those smile lines! I really was ready to go silver by my late 50's but my hair wasn't cooperating. "Gun metal gray" is not attractive on most people, but the "skunk stripe" where the dye ends and the real color starts is a pain to hide. My hair grows fast and if I didn't retouch the part every 2 weeks it got very visible, though the color looked more natural as it faded a bit. The ammonia smell that lasts 2-3 days after coloring is another "bonus" but it does kill any "no-see-ums" if you are nuts enough to color your hair inside the trailer.... too small a space, trust me on this! I used to do it at the business late in the evening.

Selling our business was an opportunity that popped up without much advance notice - and we scrambled for weeks and weeks with due diligence issues.... and the gray really started showing... but lo, it was suddenly more silvery. I had the stylist cut off all but 1 1/2 inch which was pretty drastic, and easy to care for. After it grew out a bit I started to like it a lot more.

I do notice that I get a lot more "boy scouts" offering to lift heavy stuff for me and help with hitching and unhitching trailer. I've decided to accept more help after I tore muscles in both shoulders within 5 days (just a freak accident - and then I overloaded the good one. All better now.)

The downside of going silver? Changing at least part of your wardrobe and makeup colors to better fit with the new hair color.... And of course a silver Sprinter for a tow vehicle to coordinate the whole ensemble can't be too far behind can it?

Next chapter? Tankless water heater, upsides and downsides.

Paula
AVALAIRE. an odd oldie I had never heard of before.Attachment 282275

Hope this picture attaches... saw it in Cape Charles VA AREA
Old 03-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Cant resist to add my nickels worth here
I was 62 last August. My head was turning lighter and thinner out of high school.
In my 50's I did the hair flavoring thing for a few years to impress the ladies and then I finally said screw it.
I am what I am, "Naturally platinum blond"

In the fall of 2015 the big "C" came up in a Doc's checkup and that has me going to Boston to be sure it is in check.
So far so good, but rethinking my future path. Life is shorter that we would like, but we are not in control of the duration.
I started SS early and I am mostly retired from my day job.

Right now I am making sure my MH is in tip top shape so that any travels I take will have minimal problems and maximum FUN!
Hopefully my retirement money and SS payments will outlast my family's needs, so we can have the most fun before I am done!
That is my story, and I am sticking to it
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Cant resist to add my nickels worth here
I was 62 last August. My head was turning lighter and thinner out of high school.
In my 50's I did the hair flavoring thing for a few years to impress the ladies and then I finally said screw it.
I am what I am, "Naturally platinum blond"

In the fall of 2015 the big "C" came up in a Doc's checkup and that has me going to Boston to be sure it is in check.
So far so good, but rethinking my future path. Life is shorter that we would like, but we are not in control of the duration.
I started SS early and I am mostly retired from my day job.

Right now I am making sure my MH is in tip top shape so that any travels I take will have minimal problems and maximum FUN!
Hopefully my retirement money and SS payments will outlast my family's needs, so we can have the most fun before I am done!
That is my story, and I am sticking to it
Words of wisdom, WayneG!! Healthy travels and years of MH fun
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I cleared an acre of land last year using chain saw maybe 35/40 trees.
I told my DR I am going to have to start acting my age (78) and quit acting like i"m 70.
This year I'm limited 3 to 6 hours of labor a day knees just can't take it anymore never used to think much about it but now realize I may be getting old.

Have no idea where my hair went it's mostly gone however, I am in need of a tetanus shot thanks for the reminder will get it asap.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #30
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My Pa started losing his hair early on.. about 20... of course it was just spotty..

He still says.. "It can turn anything it wants, except loose."

I have a few spots thinning out a bit.. but if it goes, it goes.. I will just need a 'Wally' hat..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
AVALAIRE. an odd oldie I had never heard of before.Attachment 282275

Hope this picture attaches... saw it in Cape Charles VA AREA
HATE WINDOWS 10!!!!!

An operating system built for illiterate people....but I can't go back. And I can't seemy own attachment. Something wrong with my settings. Can anyone else see it?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #32
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
HATE WINDOWS 10!!!!!

An operating system built for illiterate people....but I can't go back. And I can't seemy own attachment. Something wrong with my settings. Can anyone else see it?
Nope.. when I click on it, the page is no longer 'there'...

But, 'puters iz stupid... they reflect the level of the programmers... some of which .. are great folks..

"Don't HACK me dude!"
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
A couple of years ago there was a big fuss about rollaway shower doors. So if you've had one for a while how do you like it?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:02 AM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
HATE WINDOWS 10!!!!!

This may help with winedoze:

http://www.classicshell.net
Old 03-29-2017, 05:39 AM   #35
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
This is a great thread. I just want to follow along. We are both 62, and have been evaluating retirement for a few years. My wife does not accept change very well. So we will stay in this house, and she will more than likely continue to keep her hair colored forever. It's expensive, but me bringing it up, would be more "costly."
Up to date on all my shots. Have never had high speed internet, so I don't know what I'm missing.
Thanks for starting this. Should provide lots of future enjoyment. Especially since I no longer sleep. Another side effect of getting a bit older..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I strongly recommend flu shots. I had mine in late autumn of 2016, and then came down with the flu in late February 2017, which was verified by testing as a strain of Type A that had not been included in this year's vaccination. I was told that the vaccine was only about 60% effective this year because of unmatched strains becoming more prevalent than forecast.

I had additional viruses in conjunction with that flu (it can be like STDs - not just one bacteria or virus, but rather they travel in groups), with the upshot being that recovery has taken more than a month. I've been back for medical treatment multiple times and have been told multiple times that influenza can be a very serious illness and full recovery just takes an extended period of time.

I attended a technical conference yesterday in which I was the featured speaker. I had to start my presentation by advising the audience that prolonged periods of talking loudly can irritate the lungs and that if I developed breathing problems, I might have to duck into the Ladies to inhale some meds, but not to worry - I would be back to continue speaking. It's pretty sobering when you realize just how NOT in control you are with an illness like a serious influenza.

You've no doubt heard the old expression "it's your funeral"? Well, if you forgo a flu vaccine and come down with a serious case, it just might be your funeral, especially if you are an older person or a person with health issues. Even if the strain turns out to be different as in my case, the vaccine will provide some measure of resistance - mine probably would have been even worse if I hadn't had that vaccine late last year.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
HATE WINDOWS 10!!!!!

An operating system built for illiterate people.
Downloading Windows 10 today. Thanks for the reminder for preventive shots Paula.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Downloading Windows 10 today. Thanks for the reminder for preventive shots Paula.
Preventative shots for Windows 10 are available from Apple...
I couldn't resist!
Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Downloading Windows 10 today.
Okay! We'll see you in 2018!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Windows 10 is the best Windows OS yet. Much better and more fun than getting a flu shot. On the other hand, iOS is the most dumbed down, inflexible, and boring OS out there.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote