Old 03-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
When I was active duty, they would line us up at Thursday morning muster and run us down a line of corpsman for our annual flu shot. No exceptions except ready flight crew (who would be found later and stabbed with same)

Once I retired, I generally forgot about them until I hit the big "60" and now I just roll up the sleeve and let my Doctor harpoon away... Flu, Shingles, Pneumonia, Tetanus -- thankfully my insurance covers them all.

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
For those that are considering giving up the hair color but not quite there yet.

Try getting it highlighted with two colors instead of all over colored. Highlights are a blend so it grows out a little bit different.
Red on the left, green on the right? It would certainly be an interesting look!

Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
I thought one of us might say that. Silly Billies we are.👩👵👱

Two shades of brown or blond depending on your own color.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I get a semi-annual checkup and I always ask my doctor to review my shot list. I'm like Les Nesmond on WKRP, I always have a Band-Aid on me somewhere... or a cut.

A tetanus booster is needed every 10 years. (Tpd - Tetanus, Pertussis, Diphtheria.) Pertussis is whooping cough and can be easily transmitted to a child, it can kill them. Get the shot. Anyone who works on their AS or tools in general can get tetanus. It's only every 10 years; get the shot.

If you're over 65 you should get the pneumonia vaccine to help protect yourself. It won't guarantee you won't get it, but it reduces the risk. Annual, I believe. Get the shingles vaccine too. We had a guy at work with it, very ugly, nasty and painful.

The flu vaccine is a dead virus, you cannot get the flu from the flu vaccine. You can get a reaction to it, sometimes severe, depending on allergies. Discuss with your doctor. This also doesn't necessarily prevent you from getting the flu because the strain can mutate. Survival chances are better if you get the vaccine. The Spanish flu killed millions world-wide. It's a particularly nasty way to die. Get the shot

Hi speed Internet. That's like saying high speed Interstate highway. Sometimes you go fast, sometimes you don't.
How many people want to use that road?
How many people are you sharing your connection with?
You can have a Ferrari but if the road is clogged, you're not going to get anywhere fast. If everyone wants to go to the same place, the parking lot is going to be full. Same with a particular site, it can get clogged.

To make life easier you can get a laptop with a large screen and attach a USB keyboard. This is easier to store but it is a bigger device. You can modify your current laptop by attaching a USB keyboard and DVI/HDMI monitor attached (Most newer LCD TVs can be connected to a laptop.).

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Red on the left, green on the right? It would certainly be an interesting look!
Very nautical, too. It might get you invited to be on the Red Green show too.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've never had the flu, either, but my PCP has strongly urged the shot for probably the last 10 years, and so I get it.

I also got the series of pneumonia shots during this same time period, which I've never had, either.

My PCP keeps a watch on my tetanus timetable, and gives that to me when it's due. It just seems the wise thing to do.

As we get older, tho really at any age, we just don't know what could happen or might strike us unexpectedly, so what we can do for prevention seems prudent to follow up with.

I have met people in their 60's who don't see a doctor regularly, have never had a colonoscopy or other preventative screenings, and just figure that when their time is up, it's up.

Understandable, but I do it differently....I would like to remain healthy and active as long as possible, to see my grands graduate from high school and college, and perhaps to marry.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Hair color, I've thought about a nice platinum on my grey, Billy Idol style. But I've never colored it before. I tune mine up self inflicted style, razor or a Wahl buzz.
Flu shots is a crap shoot, if the CDC picked the right strains for that year. It is said they got it right this year, last year nope, wouldn't have helped at all.
Way over due on the tetanus, and other heavily marketed injected "cures"
Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #22
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Paula, you are an absolute treasure. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My story: I just turned 60 and am looking to open a new chapter in my life. I work for "one of those" Fortune 50 companies that everybody will know if I mention the name. I'm getting ready to open my own small business (translation: that Fortune 50 is sucking the life outta me).

I'll be following along to glean the wisdom of others. I don't have much to offer in the way of hair dressings, 'cause there isn't much there to make a fair judgement.

This thread should be a hoot. Glad I ran across it.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #23
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We get flu shots and other relevant vaccinations per their recommended schedules. In our minds, a crapshoot is better than just plain crap. Besides, one of these years, getting those vaccinations might save us or someone we love. No point being a chicken about getting poked, just get it over with and move on.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Just got a tetnus shot Tuesday. Also hepatitis A and B. Plus typhoid, pertussis and something else. Heading to Asia is why. I think tetnus is every 10 years. You know it's tetnus because the arm (where it's injected) will ache for about three days.
I too got a tetanus booster last fall. Not only did I have a shoulder ache, but it made me about half sick for a couple days. Slight fever and flu-like symptoms, for lack of a better description. Didn't do that last time. But doc said not unusual.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TO DYE FOR
My natural color was sort of a middle brown and in my 40's a few silver hairs showed up around the edges... but the rest gradually just started getting dull. I experimented with a reddish brunette, then settled on a warm medium blonde which sure looked golden brown to me... and got huge approval from all my customers. IMHO choosing a tint that is believable is key if you color your hair beyond age 50. Raven black will draw attention to those smile lines! I really was ready to go silver by my late 50's but my hair wasn't cooperating. "Gun metal gray" is not attractive on most people, but the "skunk stripe" where the dye ends and the real color starts is a pain to hide. My hair grows fast and if I didn't retouch the part every 2 weeks it got very visible, though the color looked more natural as it faded a bit. The ammonia smell that lasts 2-3 days after coloring is another "bonus" but it does kill any "no-see-ums" if you are nuts enough to color your hair inside the trailer.... too small a space, trust me on this! I used to do it at the business late in the evening.

Selling our business was an opportunity that popped up without much advance notice - and we scrambled for weeks and weeks with due diligence issues.... and the gray really started showing... but lo, it was suddenly more silvery. I had the stylist cut off all but 1 1/2 inch which was pretty drastic, and easy to care for. After it grew out a bit I started to like it a lot more.

I do notice that I get a lot more "boy scouts" offering to lift heavy stuff for me and help with hitching and unhitching trailer. I've decided to accept more help after I tore muscles in both shoulders within 5 days (just a freak accident - and then I overloaded the good one. All better now.)

The downside of going silver? Changing at least part of your wardrobe and makeup colors to better fit with the new hair color.... And of course a silver Sprinter for a tow vehicle to coordinate the whole ensemble can't be too far behind can it?

Next chapter? Tankless water heater, upsides and downsides.

Paula
Old 03-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
TO DYE FOR
My natural color was sort of a middle brown and in my 40's a few silver hairs showed up around the edges... but the rest gradually just started getting dull. I experimented with a reddish brunette, then settled on a warm medium blonde which sure looked golden brown to me... and got huge approval from all my customers. IMHO choosing a tint that is believable is key if you color your hair beyond age 50. Raven black will draw attention to those smile lines! I really was ready to go silver by my late 50's but my hair wasn't cooperating. "Gun metal gray" is not attractive on most people, but the "skunk stripe" where the dye ends and the real color starts is a pain to hide. My hair grows fast and if I didn't retouch the part every 2 weeks it got very visible, though the color looked more natural as it faded a bit. The ammonia smell that lasts 2-3 days after coloring is another "bonus" but it does kill any "no-see-ums" if you are nuts enough to color your hair inside the trailer.... too small a space, trust me on this! I used to do it at the business late in the evening.

Selling our business was an opportunity that popped up without much advance notice - and we scrambled for weeks and weeks with due diligence issues.... and the gray really started showing... but lo, it was suddenly more silvery. I had the stylist cut off all but 1 1/2 inch which was pretty drastic, and easy to care for. After it grew out a bit I started to like it a lot more.

I do notice that I get a lot more "boy scouts" offering to lift heavy stuff for me and help with hitching and unhitching trailer. I've decided to accept more help after I tore muscles in both shoulders within 5 days (just a freak accident - and then I overloaded the good one. All better now.)

The downside of going silver? Changing at least part of your wardrobe and makeup colors to better fit with the new hair color.... And of course a silver Sprinter for a tow vehicle to coordinate the whole ensemble can't be too far behind can it?

Next chapter? Tankless water heater, upsides and downsides.

Paula
AVALAIRE. an odd oldie I had never heard of before.Attachment 282275

Hope this picture attaches... saw it in Cape Charles VA AREA
Old 03-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Cant resist to add my nickels worth here
I was 62 last August. My head was turning lighter and thinner out of high school.
In my 50's I did the hair flavoring thing for a few years to impress the ladies and then I finally said screw it.
I am what I am, "Naturally platinum blond"

In the fall of 2015 the big "C" came up in a Doc's checkup and that has me going to Boston to be sure it is in check.
So far so good, but rethinking my future path. Life is shorter that we would like, but we are not in control of the duration.
I started SS early and I am mostly retired from my day job.

Right now I am making sure my MH is in tip top shape so that any travels I take will have minimal problems and maximum FUN!
Hopefully my retirement money and SS payments will outlast my family's needs, so we can have the most fun before I am done!
That is my story, and I am sticking to it
Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Cant resist to add my nickels worth here
I was 62 last August. My head was turning lighter and thinner out of high school.
In my 50's I did the hair flavoring thing for a few years to impress the ladies and then I finally said screw it.
I am what I am, "Naturally platinum blond"

In the fall of 2015 the big "C" came up in a Doc's checkup and that has me going to Boston to be sure it is in check.
So far so good, but rethinking my future path. Life is shorter that we would like, but we are not in control of the duration.
I started SS early and I am mostly retired from my day job.

Right now I am making sure my MH is in tip top shape so that any travels I take will have minimal problems and maximum FUN!
Hopefully my retirement money and SS payments will outlast my family's needs, so we can have the most fun before I am done!
That is my story, and I am sticking to it
Words of wisdom, WayneG!! Healthy travels and years of MH fun