Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
my husband and i have been married for over 37 years. he retired about a year and a half ago after working 7 days a week for over 30 years. i worried that he would drive me crazy being home, but it has actually brought us closer. he was so stressed working so much and now he is so much more relaxed. although financially it is tight, the tradeoff is well worth it! we still have to finish our house we have been working on for 31 years, we are both so excited about traveling in our excella motorhome. and i was always the one who hated to travel, now i'm as giddy as a child at Christmas! i think that is the way it is meant to be. we are both happier and closer than ever!

airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Seems it is never too early ion life to get your head into where you want to go when the time to retire is here!

'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 AM   #17
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I can tell that my wife and I are headed for retirement difficulties... I see in my retirement future a couple of cute, shapely 25 year old blondes in bikinis catering to my every whim, and she sees me dead very soon after the arrival of the young bikini-clad women... Hmmm....

Seriously, retirement planning is important... both from the financial and social perspectives. It is possible to make compromises and still have both partners happy and satisfied in retirement. It's even better when both partners are actively involved!

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Another take on this...

I'll relate two stories on this, one good, one "not so"......

As some of you guys have possibly read a couple of my earlier dissertations here on the forum, I consider myself blessed to be in that ever sacred fraternity of "Airstream Brats"... aka, those fortunate enough to Airstream as kids, years and years ago. I travelled extensively with my Grandparents in their 1969 23' Safari from the time it was brand new, until Gramps sold it due to failing health in the summer of 1976.

Gramps retired as a railroad executive here in Detroit on his 65th birthday, in late 1963, and by January 1964, he had purchased his first travel trailer, a 21' Avion. Now, in retrospect, i really don't know how much "consultation" he did with Grandma on this, but I do know they both enjoyed traveling, and even for years before retirement, they got away as often as they could.
Gramps kept a meticulous diary of every single day they were "on the road" and to look back and revisit these great days of theirs is indeed a heart warming experience. To skim thru these pages, it became quite obvious early on in their retirement and trailering life, that they became hooked. It seemed that the old Avion was being pulled out in the driveway every month, even if it was a short weekend jaunt.
I supposed it helped that both of my Grandparents were both overly social people, and made friends where ever they went. It was in very short order that they were both volunteering for this or that committee with the Avion Travelcaders group. They even did the Mexican Travelcade in 1965, and were gone for 10 weeks there.
They had prolly about worn the wheels off the Avion by late 1968, and they were looking to replace it. This is when (by chance) after looking at the new 69 Avions, they did not like what they saw, they drove down the road to the Airstream dealer to preview the all new completely redesigned Airstreams for 1969. Gramps always told (and re-told) the story about how it was "Mother" (as he affectionalely called her) and Mother alone who made the decision that their new trailer would not be an Avion, indeed, it was gonna be an Airstream.

Well, as I have eluded to a couple times before, they wintered every year with hundreds of fellow Airstreamers in Pompano Beach, Florida, and we also continued to travel with the WBCCI every summer from 1969 to 1976, attending several International Rallies in those years.

Alas, Gramps health started to deteriorate after he caught a chronic bout of bronchitis in Bozeman after the International in 73, and it got worse and worse, and by the spring of 76, it was apparent that he could not handle the rigors of trailer travel anymore. It must have literally broken both of their hearts to have to sell their beloved little silver twinkie.... his entries in his diary in those days were decidingly somber. His days were barely "subsisting" by then, and he made his final voyage in April 1978. He was 4 months shy of 80 yrs old.

Looking back in retrospect, to many years later, i would reminisce with Grandma about those great days (she lived to be 96, we lost her in 1996) and even though she eluded to the fact that she never really had too much of a say in where they went back in those days, it was indeed a life in which they both learned to cherish and treasure, and the friends they made from both of the clubs, they kept for the rest of their lives. It was a case of them both realizing they could each find a rocking chair after retirement, and rot away there, or they could take the bull by the tail, and enjoy these years they worked so hard to enjoy. and from January 1964 to June 1976, they did just that. I am so envious of them, it makes me turn green.

Now the second, and much more condensed portion of my blabbage...
I guess we seem (in our adult lives) sometimes, to attempt to recapture our youth in any way possible, sometimes it is a case of trying to "get back" everything we had as a kid.... My case in point, is that prolly ever since the day Gramps sold the Airstream in 1976, I was wanting to have one and travel as I had so many summers of my youth. Even, ideally an Airstream just like HIS. Well, I was one of the statistically in the majority people that ended up in a failed marriage, and for several reasons. But as not to get too involved in a really unpleasant story, I'll keep it to the point. On more than one occasion in the later years of our marriage, i had casually mentioned the possibility of buying an Airstream to restore, and travel in with our two small children. We had a larger Chris Craft Cruiser that slept 6 and we travelled all over the lower Great Lakes with that as a family, and we all loved it, so i figured, why not try the Airstream route too....

Now, unlike my Grandfather prolly did, I consulted with my (then) wife, and tried to "sell" her on the idea. But as I later realized, the marriage and the relationship was already heading downhill fast, and this was too little too late. I was later told in so many words (and not kiddingly) that if i ever brought one of "those $#@*& ugly silver things" home to our driveway, I could sleep in it!!

Well, long story short, I realized that "selling" her on this idea, in any shape, form or fashion was a futile effort.... there was just too much water under the bridge, too much unhappiness between us, so i promptly tabled this idea. But despite the cold hard fact that we were divorced almost two years ago, the good part is that in the longer run, i am much happier than before. I know Gramps and Grandma smiled down on me that day last May when i found the ad on the internet for the '69 23' Safari Twin in WPB, Fla. And restoring this trailer, and the anticipation of traveling with my own children this summer, is indeed a labor of love, and a long time coming too....

Okay, now that most of you are asleep, or your eyes are bleeding, I'll shut up now.....

Oh, and in case you'all didn't get a good enough laugh before, attached is a pic of Grandpa and Grandma and I, in 1975, while I was visiting them on Easter Break. Yeah, Yeah, the tie.....I know....I know.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan-1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	35094  

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Nice story (and tie), Scott.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
psychology revisited

ultimately, our society will suffer from the lack of fulfulling distractions as youth. having a life means developing a psychological flora and fauna of things that give us pleasure and make us happy. without that, our youth reach middle age with only knowing how to work. the grandparents and parents of old passed down these interests and started us on the road to adult happiness. the demise of a real liberal arts education is part of the demise of a gentle culture

i'm feeling much better now
Donna & Mike
Cowboy up! or go sit in the truck

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I watched the dream of my sister and brother-in-law get radically altered when she had a double mastectomy only a year after retirement. They were full-timers and building some great relationships as RV volunteers doing church related construction projects. She survived, but ten years of ensuing problems have put the kabosh on RV use.

When my wife and I began our own serious thoughts on retirement (I had been a pastor for nearly fifty years and she was my secretary at the church so when I retired in 2002 at age 67, so did she) I said I don't want to wait too long and then not be able to do things we wanted to do. I don't know how one can predict that, but one is wise to consider this. We had no exotic plans but since 1983 we've thoroughly enjoyed Airstreaming. Our primary use of the Airstream is when we visit family in Colorado and Nebraska. It sure is nice to have our privacy and to not take away the privacy of our family!

Since we had about twenty years of camping together we had no major glitches upon retiring. We like doing things together. With the high fuel costs we've had to plan our trips a little more carefully but we've decided that our clock is ticking and within reason we're going to travel wherever and whenever we want becuse there will be a day when we can't. We have very simple tastes on most things so we are able to handle the current fuel costs OK.

Since I belong to a denomination that did not require churches to fund retirement I had to do my own plan. I didn't "wake up and smell the coffee" until I was in my mid-forties so we didn't accumulate a really big retirement account but we're doing OK. I worried a lot when I used to read the AARP and other publications about how much would be needed for retirement because mine was a drop in the bucket compared to their recommendations but I found their philosophy to be flawed. We were already living very conservatively so we haven't needed what their experts predicted. The key to doing this is that in the late 1970s we committed to living debt free except for a home mortgage. Our goal of a mortgage-free home was reached during the first year of retirement.

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote