Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Retired

Hi guys,

I haven't been on the forum much, since I sold our '71 Sovereign....haven't really had much to say, but I do pop in to see what's what from time to time.

I'm finally off Active Duty, after 20 years in the Army. I start my new job as a contractor on the 28th here in town, so we don't have to move, which is a relief. I will officially be retired with 21 years from the Army on April Fool's Day 2012, so I get to double dip on my salaries for a few months, which will pay everything but the house off.

Brooke and I really miss RV'ing, but she is pretty adamant about never getting another Airstream, as long as the kids are still at home...that might change, once we're on our own. What we've decided is to get a Forrest River XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler. I started restoring a 1976 Jeep CJ-5 a couple months ago, and it will fit perfectly in the cargo hold of the XLR.

I was messing with the idea of a motorhome and towing the Jeep, but if ever the motorhome needed repair on the road, we'd be out the cost of repairs and a place to stay; if the truck breaks down, we can stay in the 5th wheel and still have the CJ to toodle around.

In the meantime, I hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving and if you all are ever in our neck of the woods, look us up.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Congratulations on retirement from service Frederic. My wife and I are also military retired (Navy) some years ago. We really enjoy the military RV camps and are at one right now. Feel right at home here, background jet noise and all.

Work on your wife about the Airstream. We are enjoying ours, wouldn't trade it for anything, would be good to have you back in the group.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Congradulations on your retirement, and thank you for your service to our country.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Spooky Coincedence

Glad to hear you're finally retired. That should keep you stateside for a while. Are you in a teaching position? Not bad duty and San Angelo is a great little town.

Doing a little quick math.....So if you went thru there as a student in say '91 or '92, Susan may well have been your instructor. There were only a couple of female instructors around that time. Strange.

Enjoy the toy hauler.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Glad to hear you're finally retired. That should keep you stateside for a while. Are you in a teaching position? Not bad duty and San Angelo is a great little town.

Doing a little quick math.....So if you went thru there as a student in say '91 or '92, Susan may well have been your instructor. There were only a couple of female instructors around that time. Strange.

Enjoy the toy hauler.

Jim
Jim,

I actually started out my career as a 97E, graduating from DLI in '93 and then Huachuca. I then switched over to Aviation, because there was no need for Russian Interrogators with the fall of the Wall. I came back to MI in '96, when the Hueys were being fased out, and went to Goodfellow in '96 for 98C. Shannon Terrell was one of my instructors.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Congratulations on your retirement, and staying on with a contractor. It won't be too long before the next retirement comes up......believe me, time moves quickly. I spent my entire 30 yr. career in the Intel business.....last visit to the Goodfellow school house was during my tour as the PACAF Intel Enlisted Functional Manager. I chose location over employment when I left active duty, but still ended up working 15 yrs. for a DoD contractor in a different capacity. Before you know what happened, it will just be you, the wife, and the dog......so, start another love/hate relationship with an Airstream so you can be ready!

Congrats again.....safe travels.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Congratulations on the retirement Frederic! I just recently (yesterday) found out that the Army has accepted my voluntary retirement for 1 September, 2012. Nice feeling isn't it? Enjoy!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Congratulations on the retirement Frederic! I just recently (yesterday) found out that the Army has accepted my voluntary retirement for 1 September, 2012. Nice feeling isn't it? Enjoy!
Lance, you have no idea! My late wife's father told me that the last five years go by real quick, but he didn't tell me that the last two months drag!

The hardest part is realizing that I'm no longer a NCO, and I can't smoke students anymore...I can only 4856 them.

Congrats, btw. I take it you're at Hood? That's where I have to go to get my DD214....Brooke and I were there last Friday for the Survivor Benefits Program briefing....what a ripoff.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Congratulations on your retirement, and staying on with a contractor. It won't be too long before the next retirement comes up......believe me, time moves quickly. I spent my entire 30 yr. career in the Intel business.....last visit to the Goodfellow school house was during my tour as the PACAF Intel Enlisted Functional Manager. I chose location over employment when I left active duty, but still ended up working 15 yrs. for a DoD contractor in a different capacity. Before you know what happened, it will just be you, the wife, and the dog......so, start another love/hate relationship with an Airstream so you can be ready!

Congrats again.....safe travels.

Chief
Thanks, Chief. The last relationship ended up more hate than love, but it was more because the company that "restored" it took me to the cleaners and did a crap job that started falling apart after four years.

If we get another Airstream, it's going to have to have a rear queen bed.

I just realized I spelled "phased" wrong...Jesus, I'm getting dumber.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Have wondered where you were. A toyhauler behind a Ford, eh? Just remember to keep well to the right when you spot silver in the rearview.

Glad things are taking shape in a manner favorable.

Been reading over on Pirate 4x4? The distinctly juvenile threads here and there are LOL.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Congrats on your retiring Stingray! San Angelo, just a stones throw away from the sleepy little town of Sonora. My daughter, "Brooke" and her family live there. Next time we swing out that way we may take a ride up to Angelo and drive by just to remind you what silver looks like...
Kidding, enjoy!!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Have wondered where you were. A toyhauler behind a Ford, eh? Just remember to keep well to the right when you spot silver in the rearview.

Glad things are taking shape in a manner favorable.

Been reading over on Pirate 4x4? The distinctly juvenile threads here and there are LOL.

No, I stay well away from Pirate....never cared for that forum at all; I am on www.jeepforum.com Those guys are a wealth of knowledge and great help, really good bunch of folks, like on here.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Congrats on your retiring Stingray! San Angelo, just a stones throw away from the sleepy little town of Sonora. My daughter, "Brooke" and her family live there. Next time we swing out that way we may take a ride up to Angelo and drive by just to remind you what silver looks like...
Kidding, enjoy!!

Come on by! The more people who come to visit us, the more Brooke will realize that not all Airstreams are junk. My biggest mistake was having South Jersey RV "restore" ours; my second biggest mistake was going for the "period correct" look. Had I gone more modern and had someone else do the work, we'd probably still have it.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
We might just do that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Come on by! The more people who come to visit us, the more Brooke will realize that not all Airstreams are junk. My biggest mistake was having South Jersey RV "restore" ours; my second biggest mistake was going for the "period correct" look. Had I gone more modern and had someone else do the work, we'd probably still have it.
We are heading to Boerne for Thanksgiving, and then to Blanco on the 8th. Boerne is just with kids and a couple of grandkids but if you were to bring her to Blanco where she could see 20 or 30 Airstreams all in one spot, being used for fun...well that might start some wheels spinning. But.....you cannot get that Jeep into an Airstream.. so, sounds to me like you need two trailers

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Frederic, congratulations on your first retirement. They say the second one is easier.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Congratulations on your retirement. My DH has 22 years of active duty.

I'm curious of your opinion on the SBP. I see you stated it was a ripoff. We will need to make that decision here one day. I'm a SAHM and while we have a few assets, it's nothing that could replace that monthly pension, even at 55%. We are definitely leaning towards getting the SBP.

Sorry to get off topic but I like to pick the brains of the retired, or those about to do so, to help us make those important decisions.

Again congrats!
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhx4 View Post
Congratulations on your retirement. My DH has 22 years of active duty.

I'm curious of your opinion on the SBP. I see you stated it was a ripoff. We will need to make that decision here one day. I'm a SAHM and while we have a few assets, it's nothing that could replace that monthly pension, even at 55%. We are definitely leaning towards getting the SBP.

Sorry to get off topic but I like to pick the brains of the retired, or those about to do so, to help us make those important decisions.

Again congrats!

For my money, I can take the $130+ it would cost me per month for SBP and put it in a 401K, where it's going to make me money. SBP returns absolutely nothing, unless you croak before your spouse, and then it ensures that he/she gets a check, unless he/she gets remarried. Putting my money into a sound investment that I know will give me a return makes much more sense to me.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Frederic, congratulations on your first retirement. They say the second one is easier.
Thanks, Terry. The second one is going to be a lot shorter than the first, ten years max.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
We are heading to Boerne for Thanksgiving, and then to Blanco on the 8th. Boerne is just with kids and a couple of grandkids but if you were to bring her to Blanco where she could see 20 or 30 Airstreams all in one spot, being used for fun...well that might start some wheels spinning. But.....you cannot get that Jeep into an Airstream.. so, sounds to me like you need two trailers
Where at in Blanco? I might just take a trip down there with the family.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Yeah I see your point. From my point of view, thinking worse case scenario and DH passes before me, it's a monthly check thats cola adjusted for life. No investments to manage or market turmoil to worry over.

Good luck with your new trailer. Happy camping.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote