Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhx4 View Post
Yeah I see your point. From my point of view, thinking worse case scenario and DH passes before me, it's a monthly check thats cola adjusted for life. No investments to manage or market turmoil to worry over.

Good luck with your new trailer. Happy camping.
Don't get me wrong, for some people I think it's an option worth looking at, but I'm 38 years old and don't plan on kicking it anytime soon. Of course, after making it through three combat tours, getting hit by a bus while crossing the street would suck...try explaining that one to St. Peter.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Of course, after making it through three combat tours, getting hit by a bus while crossing the street would suck...try explaining that one to St. Peter.
I'd probably blame the demon Murphy.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Frederick, Congratulations and thank you and every one else for your service. Time will go by fast, especially when you change ID cards. I would suggest 'soft' selling an Airstream to your wife. Take it slowly and go look at some trailers (new and used), and go visit some rally's. Then look for a very special event (like a 25th anniversary) to celebrate and buy a trailer.
smhx4, when I retired, I declined SBP, and chose term life insurance, and put the difference in various savings accounts. We also went through Dave Ramsey's Total Money Make over. (please note, I am not pushing this program, but it worked for us and was more useful than the info presented during my retirement brief).
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
Frederick, Congratulations and thank you and every one else for your service. Time will go by fast, especially when you change ID cards. I would suggest 'soft' selling an Airstream to your wife. Take it slowly and go look at some trailers (new and used), and go visit some rally's. Then look for a very special event (like a 25th anniversary) to celebrate and buy a trailer.
smhx4, when I retired, I declined SBP, and chose term life insurance, and put the difference in various savings accounts. We also went through Dave Ramsey's Total Money Make over. (please note, I am not pushing this program, but it worked for us and was more useful than the info presented during my retirement brief).
Dave Ramsey is a great inspiration....where debt is dumb, cash is king and the paid off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice.

We have The Total Money Makeover in hardbound edition.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Check out this thread

Quote:
Where at in Blanco? I might just take a trip down there with the family.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1072827

We have reservations at the State Park but it got full so lots of folks are staying at another campground nearby "Blanco Settlement" I believe. Right on the river. As you read the thread I think you will see good times coming our way!! Be great to see you there, even in that big 'ol toy hauler!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
Thanks, we are Dave Ramsey fans. Read the books, attended a live event but didnt complete FPU, hope to finish that one day. I think we will be forced to take SBP, DH is a smoker and even if he quits, he has severe sleep apnea. We have a renewable term policy but that goes up every year. He has 22 years in and won't retire til 26 at the earliest, I convinced him to stay as long as possible to boost the pension instead of starting a second career. I'm not the one going to work everyday but he seems to be at the peak of his career and is doing well.

I agree, showing your wife some different models may renew a love for Airstreams. Winter is coming and deals on trailers are easier to find.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Fredrick

Congratulations to you and your family. It is a well earned. Although you will miss many aspects of the military, at least we did, there is a hole new world out there. adjust and enjoy it.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Survivors Benefit Plan (SBP) vs 401k. My recommendation would be to do both if at all possible. SBP is adjusted for cola and is not subject to the rims of the market. 401ks can show some nice growth however if you were retiring a couple of years ago many got their A-- kicked and saw their 401 k go down by 1/3 or to even a 1/2. It is tough to make that up when you are 65 or older. Another downside to 401 Ks and insurance is that you can stop them anytime. Most of would say we would not do that but I have found that not to be the case. I was a Survivors Assistance Officer for a spouse who husband before he died cashed in all of his insurance and spent it. She was left with nothing and at 60 had little or no skills to fend for herself. I am not saying that this would happen to you just that it does happen. It can't happen with SBP.

Just food for thought
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1072827

We have reservations at the State Park but it got full so lots of folks are staying at another campground nearby "Blanco Settlement" I believe. Right on the river. As you read the thread I think you will see good times coming our way!! Be great to see you there, even in that big 'ol toy hauler!
Chuck,

We haven't gotten the toy hauler yet, we just know which one we want. We'll probably be getting it this Spring. I'll try and talk Brooke into taking a trip and "accidentally" end up in Blanco . We do have our Living Quarters horse trailer, so maybe I might bring that, who knows.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Chuck,

We haven't gotten the toy hauler yet, we just know which one we want. We'll probably be getting it this Spring. I'll try and talk Brooke into taking a trip and "accidentally" end up in Blanco . We do have our Living Quarters horse trailer, so maybe I might bring that, who knows.
This is just an idea, since an Airstream is at least temporarily not in the cards, but why not look into a horse trailer with living quarters that can double as a toyhauler?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
StingrayL82,
Congratulations on your retirement, your service to our Nation and the support from your wive. Good luck with your next chapter as your write it.
We retired in 2008 and don't regret a day of it other than being with the Troops, which being here at Bragg, I get over real quick. LOL

During our time of service I was gone quite a bit especially from 2001-2008 hitting every great locaiton from SEA, SWA and Africa. What a great time with the troops cleaning up a mess of people wanting to take away freedom as we know it, and showing the locals that didn't know any better, what freedom is all about.
What I always missed was the Airstream, but always thought of how nice it would of been at those locations, with the Kurds or Filipno's, but instead I enjoyed the austere living that was offered by the locals, and can relate that to the early WBCCI caravans.
One of the toughest decisions we had many times was wondering should we sell the airstream that sat in storage for many years 15, while serving for the 28 years, that we eventually completed.
We did have the luxury of living out of it while moving, or waiting for a house or housing as we could pack out early or get the furniture delivered late. We were in never in a hurry as we had a place we could call home.
Now, it is paying off. We have owned it for years, done some super upgrades, and use it to its fullest that it was meant to be used.
Follow your dreams!
Be careful as you look in your rear mirrors as those reflections that look like shiny objects may be Airstreams.
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
This is just an idea, since an Airstream is at least temporarily not in the cards, but why not look into a horse trailer with living quarters that can double as a toyhauler?
You know what, Terry, I think our Living Quarters might actually be able to fit the CJ!

I'll have to take some measurements.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
StingrayL82,
Congratulations on your retirement, your service to our Nation and the support from your wive. Good luck with your next chapter as your write it.
We retired in 2008 and don't regret a day of it other than being with the Troops, which being here at Bragg, I get over real quick. LOL

During our time of service I was gone quite a bit especially from 2001-2008 hitting every great locaiton from SEA, SWA and Africa. What a great time with the troops cleaning up a mess of people wanting to take away freedom as we know it, and showing the locals that didn't know any better, what freedom is all about.
What I always missed was the Airstream, but always thought of how nice it would of been at those locations, with the Kurds or Filipno's, but instead I enjoyed the austere living that was offered by the locals, and can relate that to the early WBCCI caravans.
One of the toughest decisions we had many times was wondering should we sell the airstream that sat in storage for many years 15, while serving for the 28 years, that we eventually completed.
We did have the luxury of living out of it while moving, or waiting for a house or housing as we could pack out early or get the furniture delivered late. We were in never in a hurry as we had a place we could call home.
Now, it is paying off. We have owned it for years, done some super upgrades, and use it to its fullest that it was meant to be used.
Follow your dreams!
Be careful as you look in your rear mirrors as those reflections that look like shiny objects may be Airstreams.
We lived out of ours too, when we PCS'd to San Angelo....four months with two little dogs, a big dog and two kids. Between that and the Sovereign starting to fall apart from a pee-poor "resto", I had had enough.

Were you at Group or Division? I thought I was going to be able to do more than 20, but our last BC sealed the deal for me to retire....I wouldn't have followed that idiot out of curiosity, because she was going to get someone killed. She went to the sandbox this year and had to start taking Xanax, because she couldn't take the shelling......she was in the Green Zone.

Thanks for your service too.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Frederic,
spent all my years with three of the Groups with the exception of ROTC for 8-months and the Academy out there in the Great State. WE loved it as we toured all the National Parks during the down time.

I was fortunate with my assignments and leadership. Of course most of the guys I worked for have gotten relieved or made the front page of the Army times due to their leadership and having a standard, never-the-less a high standard.

Understand your challenges. Amazing how some people react to combat and some embrace it. Thanks for hanging in there through these very tough years. Trust me it did NOT go unnoticed. It is still an Away Game.

Get your medical taken care of prior to exit. it is time consuming. Get those records early, make a bunch of copies and smile. Based on your comments, you've been there, as you are about to enter into a world of folks that think they are decision makers. They are NOT.

Get that Toy Hauler out there and continue to dream about getting back into the world of Silver. I know there are a bunch of folks out here that will hook you up. You know you will be far enough away from civilization when the kids in the camp ground say you have a weird trailer (airstream).

Enjoy, and most of all take care of the family. We couldn't have done it without them.

"Stay thirsty my Friend".

Congrats again and Best Regards,
SL4BLLT
Old 11-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
Frederic,
spent all my years with three of the Groups with the exception of ROTC for 8-months and the Academy out there in the Great State. WE loved it as we toured all the National Parks during the down time.

I was fortunate with my assignments and leadership. Of course most of the guys I worked for have gotten relieved or made the front page of the Army times due to their leadership and having a standard, never-the-less a high standard.

Understand your challenges. Amazing how some people react to combat and some embrace it. Thanks for hanging in there through these very tough years. Trust me it did NOT go unnoticed. It is still an Away Game.

Get your medical taken care of prior to exit. it is time consuming. Get those records early, make a bunch of copies and smile. Based on your comments, you've been there, as you are about to enter into a world of folks that think they are decision makers. They are NOT.

Get that Toy Hauler out there and continue to dream about getting back into the world of Silver. I know there are a bunch of folks out here that will hook you up. You know you will be far enough away from civilization when the kids in the camp ground say you have a weird trailer (airstream).

Enjoy, and most of all take care of the family. We couldn't have done it without them.

"Stay thirsty my Friend".

Congrats again and Best Regards,
SL4BLLT
We probably know some of the same people then. I was on a SOT-A with 10th Group and have friends who were in 3rd and 7th.

My medical records were six inches thick...took me three hours to make copies. In fact, I just got my letter from the VA telling me that they would like my case to be settled quickly, but it will probably be taking a bit longer than expected. My VA rep who helped me out told me I'm looking at 70% at least...my back and knees are shot from jumping. Who would have thought something so fun would end up hurting so much?

See you down the road brother.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Sent you a private e-mail. I spent most of my career with 10th in Bad Toelz, Devens and Carson, before I ended up back at Bragg. Who would of thought 25 years alter, but it does happen.

Might of fact i almost had my plate named the "teamhaus", but the wife didn't find that amusing after all those years with the boys.

anyways we'll connect and see if ic an ensure you cross the T's and dot the I's.

SL4BLLT