Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1072827

We have reservations at the State Park but it got full so lots of folks are staying at another campground nearby "Blanco Settlement" I believe. Right on the river. As you read the thread I think you will see good times coming our way!! Be great to see you there, even in that big 'ol toy hauler!
Chuck,

We haven't gotten the toy hauler yet, we just know which one we want. We'll probably be getting it this Spring. I'll try and talk Brooke into taking a trip and "accidentally" end up in Blanco . We do have our Living Quarters horse trailer, so maybe I might bring that, who knows.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Chuck,

We haven't gotten the toy hauler yet, we just know which one we want. We'll probably be getting it this Spring. I'll try and talk Brooke into taking a trip and "accidentally" end up in Blanco . We do have our Living Quarters horse trailer, so maybe I might bring that, who knows.
This is just an idea, since an Airstream is at least temporarily not in the cards, but why not look into a horse trailer with living quarters that can double as a toyhauler?

Old 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
StingrayL82,
Congratulations on your retirement, your service to our Nation and the support from your wive. Good luck with your next chapter as your write it.
We retired in 2008 and don't regret a day of it other than being with the Troops, which being here at Bragg, I get over real quick. LOL

During our time of service I was gone quite a bit especially from 2001-2008 hitting every great locaiton from SEA, SWA and Africa. What a great time with the troops cleaning up a mess of people wanting to take away freedom as we know it, and showing the locals that didn't know any better, what freedom is all about.
What I always missed was the Airstream, but always thought of how nice it would of been at those locations, with the Kurds or Filipno's, but instead I enjoyed the austere living that was offered by the locals, and can relate that to the early WBCCI caravans.
One of the toughest decisions we had many times was wondering should we sell the airstream that sat in storage for many years 15, while serving for the 28 years, that we eventually completed.
We did have the luxury of living out of it while moving, or waiting for a house or housing as we could pack out early or get the furniture delivered late. We were in never in a hurry as we had a place we could call home.
Now, it is paying off. We have owned it for years, done some super upgrades, and use it to its fullest that it was meant to be used.
Follow your dreams!
Be careful as you look in your rear mirrors as those reflections that look like shiny objects may be Airstreams.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
This is just an idea, since an Airstream is at least temporarily not in the cards, but why not look into a horse trailer with living quarters that can double as a toyhauler?
You know what, Terry, I think our Living Quarters might actually be able to fit the CJ!

I'll have to take some measurements.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
StingrayL82,
Congratulations on your retirement, your service to our Nation and the support from your wive. Good luck with your next chapter as your write it.
We retired in 2008 and don't regret a day of it other than being with the Troops, which being here at Bragg, I get over real quick. LOL

During our time of service I was gone quite a bit especially from 2001-2008 hitting every great locaiton from SEA, SWA and Africa. What a great time with the troops cleaning up a mess of people wanting to take away freedom as we know it, and showing the locals that didn't know any better, what freedom is all about.
What I always missed was the Airstream, but always thought of how nice it would of been at those locations, with the Kurds or Filipno's, but instead I enjoyed the austere living that was offered by the locals, and can relate that to the early WBCCI caravans.
One of the toughest decisions we had many times was wondering should we sell the airstream that sat in storage for many years 15, while serving for the 28 years, that we eventually completed.
We did have the luxury of living out of it while moving, or waiting for a house or housing as we could pack out early or get the furniture delivered late. We were in never in a hurry as we had a place we could call home.
Now, it is paying off. We have owned it for years, done some super upgrades, and use it to its fullest that it was meant to be used.
Follow your dreams!
Be careful as you look in your rear mirrors as those reflections that look like shiny objects may be Airstreams.
We lived out of ours too, when we PCS'd to San Angelo....four months with two little dogs, a big dog and two kids. Between that and the Sovereign starting to fall apart from a pee-poor "resto", I had had enough.

Were you at Group or Division? I thought I was going to be able to do more than 20, but our last BC sealed the deal for me to retire....I wouldn't have followed that idiot out of curiosity, because she was going to get someone killed. She went to the sandbox this year and had to start taking Xanax, because she couldn't take the shelling......she was in the Green Zone.

Thanks for your service too.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Frederic,
spent all my years with three of the Groups with the exception of ROTC for 8-months and the Academy out there in the Great State. WE loved it as we toured all the National Parks during the down time.

I was fortunate with my assignments and leadership. Of course most of the guys I worked for have gotten relieved or made the front page of the Army times due to their leadership and having a standard, never-the-less a high standard.

Understand your challenges. Amazing how some people react to combat and some embrace it. Thanks for hanging in there through these very tough years. Trust me it did NOT go unnoticed. It is still an Away Game.

Get your medical taken care of prior to exit. it is time consuming. Get those records early, make a bunch of copies and smile. Based on your comments, you've been there, as you are about to enter into a world of folks that think they are decision makers. They are NOT.

Get that Toy Hauler out there and continue to dream about getting back into the world of Silver. I know there are a bunch of folks out here that will hook you up. You know you will be far enough away from civilization when the kids in the camp ground say you have a weird trailer (airstream).

Enjoy, and most of all take care of the family. We couldn't have done it without them.

"Stay thirsty my Friend".

Congrats again and Best Regards,
SL4BLLT
Old 11-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
Frederic,
spent all my years with three of the Groups with the exception of ROTC for 8-months and the Academy out there in the Great State. WE loved it as we toured all the National Parks during the down time.

I was fortunate with my assignments and leadership. Of course most of the guys I worked for have gotten relieved or made the front page of the Army times due to their leadership and having a standard, never-the-less a high standard.

Understand your challenges. Amazing how some people react to combat and some embrace it. Thanks for hanging in there through these very tough years. Trust me it did NOT go unnoticed. It is still an Away Game.

Get your medical taken care of prior to exit. it is time consuming. Get those records early, make a bunch of copies and smile. Based on your comments, you've been there, as you are about to enter into a world of folks that think they are decision makers. They are NOT.

Get that Toy Hauler out there and continue to dream about getting back into the world of Silver. I know there are a bunch of folks out here that will hook you up. You know you will be far enough away from civilization when the kids in the camp ground say you have a weird trailer (airstream).

Enjoy, and most of all take care of the family. We couldn't have done it without them.

"Stay thirsty my Friend".

Congrats again and Best Regards,
SL4BLLT
We probably know some of the same people then. I was on a SOT-A with 10th Group and have friends who were in 3rd and 7th.

My medical records were six inches thick...took me three hours to make copies. In fact, I just got my letter from the VA telling me that they would like my case to be settled quickly, but it will probably be taking a bit longer than expected. My VA rep who helped me out told me I'm looking at 70% at least...my back and knees are shot from jumping. Who would have thought something so fun would end up hurting so much?

See you down the road brother.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Sent you a private e-mail. I spent most of my career with 10th in Bad Toelz, Devens and Carson, before I ended up back at Bragg. Who would of thought 25 years alter, but it does happen.

Might of fact i almost had my plate named the "teamhaus", but the wife didn't find that amusing after all those years with the boys.

anyways we'll connect and see if ic an ensure you cross the T's and dot the I's.

SL4BLLT