Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Reserve America New Fees for FL parks

Reserve America new fees for FL parks and maybe others. I noticed while making trip plans for this December that there is a new as of about a year ago fee of almost $7 per reservation. This seems a bit much since many folks park hop on the way from point A to point B. We usually stay at Falling Waters in Chipley and it is usually about $20 a night with all the fees which is pretty good. Well now it is close to $27 for the first night but we only stay there one night usually so we always get hit with the fees. I think the fee should be per order not per park. So on the way back a week later I have to pay the same fee again because the reservations were not consecutive. This kinda of fee structure is encouraging you to not stop at reasonable intervals which means more tired drivers with large vehicles which to me means more accidents. So potentially you could rack up $20-$30 fees or more for a one week vacation. I don't know of any other way to stay at a FL park other than pay this fee. Not sure if this is a FL thing or some new fee Reserve America is tacking on to everything.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Apparently those fees are still small for a lot of people, since the worst problem with FLA SP is that they always show full and then you can spend a whole weekend looking some of the best spots empty, but if you talk to the rangers they will say if they don't call to cancel they can not do anything. Since SP are public land and to use them is a privilege, there should be a fee for not showing up and not canceling making the space available for the rest of the population.
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
I've used RA for a few Florida parks. My impression is although the web site shows sold out the parks are half empty at best. If I'm just passing through from here on I'm going to chance it by calling when we're close to see if there's a spot. Of course we're really flexible travelers. I can stay at a WM, or a truck stop, or just about anywhere, and be happy so I'm not really risking much. I have a feeling as long as folks like RA can get away with it they will continue to increase rates and decrease service. But that's just me.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The only time I make reservations is for organized rallies. I have never been turned away from a Florida State Park even when officially they are full. They seem to always have a few spots held back from Reserve America. This is also true of National and private parks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
GA state parks hold back some sites for walk-in's or so I have been told at the parks. My guess is that many parks do the same. Some even show on RA as non-reservable sites but you have to show up to get them but hosts will let you know if open when you call.

Bonnie
WBCCI# 13031
LittleLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We live in the far western Florida Panhandle. We we head out on a trip within Florida, we spend a lot of one nighters in Florida State Parks. As we are senors and Florida residents, we pay $12 for a full hook-up campsite in a Florida State Park. To pay Reserve America $7 for a one night reservation nearly doubles our cost. We refuse to pay it and take our chances as a walk-in to get a campsite.

As to the no shows, they are paying for the campsite and the reservation.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
FL Panhandle , Florida
We are also FL senior residents. Reserve America was charging a $17.50 cancelation fee last time I checked, making it cheaper to NOT cancel in some cases.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black7beard View Post
I've used RA for a few Florida parks. My impression is although the web site shows sold out the parks are half empty at best.
Just an observation, we have stayed at Ft. Clinch when every site was full and at Topsail Hill when there were only one or two (relatively undesirable) sites available. (And Topsail is a big park.)
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Getting to be a norm? We stayed at a county park in Illinois that had a $20.00 per night sur charge for NON county residents. The park soon closed.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
In KY you are charged the RA fee when making reservations at state parks.
On a recent trip south I noticed that GA did not charge the RA fee but instead smacked me with a $7 use fee on the way into the state parks.
Their gonna get it one way or the other.
Indiana also charges this use fee.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I believe that when ReserveAmerica went "live" some years ago, that "fee" came with it, as I recall us being surprised and a bit aggravated that we paid it when reserving in advance and also the exact same fee for drive-up spots....because any registration still used their system.

It is a hefty fee, not a small one, in my opinion.

What a racket.

Maggie
Old 11-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

As to the no shows, they are paying for the campsite and the reservation.

Brian
Obviously you are within your legal right to do it, but to us is a matter of camaraderie to fellow campers. Many FL SP are among some of the most sought after, and many of them such as the new ones in the Keys, Sebastian or any other beach location get sold a year in advance, making it almost impossible for Florida residents to enjoy their parks during the weekend. We understand that we have to be fast and reserve a year in advance, but if we can not go for any reason we cancel to make it available to someone else. FL SP are very cheap when compared to private campgrounds, and they have much better locations, they are an affordable luxury supported by everyone's taxes, so when there is a no show it's not the park or RA the one perjudicated, it is people like you and families that have to stay at home because of a fellow camper "shelfisnes". Obviously this is a very personal approach but to our understanding SP are a privilege to be shared by the people, and keeping a waterfront space at Bahia Honda empty for the whole weekend (last time we were there 3 of them remained empty), while there is people paying over 150 bucks next door for a parking lot space, it is not very civic behavior.
When we have to cancel because our kids get fever (kids always get sic when you have the best reservations), we cancel and announce it on the FB forums that we are active to make sure someone will enjoy it.
I don't mean to offend anyone, just give our personal approach. Many hotels do it this way, you don't show and you loss your room even if you paid.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is cheaper to not cancel on a one night reservation. I at least call the park if I can't make it. I think they even told us the can't rent it unless you go through and pay a hugh fee to cancel plus a nights rent.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Cancellation is still $17.50 per reservation if you cancel before your arrival date. If you cancel on your arrival date it's $17.50 plus the first night's camping fee. I accidentally selected the wrong date, went immediately to change it and got assessed about $8 fee to make that 1 minute change.

Still, the Florida parks are great in January and February. I find they are more expensive than many of the RV parks but you get a nice sized spot among the trees, quiet and some great rangers. We go down and spend a month in the SP, hopping around, then maybe 1-2 months more in the RV resorts, the cheaper ones, and take day trips to the parks.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Interesting information, that means that RA's system is promoting empty campgrounds and less availability which is a complete nonsense. We will write to them to find out their opinion...
As per the prices, we do not have much experience, barely one year and only in SoFla, but we find SP a lot cheaper and better placed than private campgrounds, but that might be only south of Orlando
Old 11-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Florida is great in the winter but getting into the parks is difficult. The reservation window opens 1 year in advance and the popular places will fill up in minutes after the window opens. Maximum stay is 14 days but I've talked to folk who will put one reservation in their name, another in their wife's name. (they didn't think it was cheating)

We have made multiple reservations in the same park, 2 days here, 5 days there, etc. We just kept moving around, even between parks close together. Our first year we were lucky to find a 14 day cancellation in a very nice spot. It's expensive but still cheaper than an RV park for less than a month.

I'm sure that all these park systems are happy to have RA to handle the reservations, cancellations and disputes. I can't imagine the Rangers doing all of that. RA provides a service and is entitled to their fees and yes, they are high for a 1 night reservation. You're better off going to or calling the park to ask. Many of them, especially Federal places, have walk-up only spaces on a first come basis. You can use the RA site to see how full up a park is and make the determination if you want to make a reservation or do a walk-up.

Personally, I like RA. I think it's a great planning tool, letting you see where the spaces are, what's available and for how long, park features, etc. Of all the money I spend to use our AS, the RA fee is a very small expense. It's good value for the money.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote