Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Janesville , Wisconsin
Reserve America

For those of you out there forced to use Reserve America in order to
camp in your state's park system, any tips on how to avoid using
their service?

Though I appreciate the relative ease in reserving a camp spot, and I
understand that park rangers are probably relieved that they no longer
have to deal with reservations, I am annoyed with RA's high reservation
and cancellation fees.
marta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, those guys want to make their money. I know the feeling from the private-campground side, where we get a near-constant barrage of calls from outfits that want to run our reservation system, naturally for a hefty fee. Some of them have been calling once a week for months now. (There's a loophole in the no-call system that allows them to pester businesses to death.)

Lynn
Old 05-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
I used reserve america, and got an unwanted magazine subsricption that I can't cancel. Anybody want "backpacking magazine"?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
At least the mag is free, and has great pictures.

Try leaving the mag in your doctor's office and barber shops - it will improve the selection.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
The only way I know of getting around reserve america is to wait until the day of arrival, show up at the chosen park and get a campsite from the ranger's office (usually at the front gate / entry way). We have never been turned away (good luck or mabe that there are always no-shows and cancellations). Then, sometimes you can book for a few more days ahead if no-one has claimed your spot via reserve america. Depends on the park and who is at the front desk. it seems to be pretty arbitrary how they decide. We have been able to camp at pretty cool sites that way with no reservations. Good Luck!!!!

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ALGOMA , Wisconsin
I've used Reserve America for several years to camp in the Wisconsin State Parks, and I really haven't had any problems with it. Considering the high taxes we pay in Wisconsin any attempt to keep payroll costs down by outsourcing is appreciated. Considering the low cost to camp in our beautiful Wi state parks even with the Reserve America fees it's still a great deal. There's no way I would want to sweat out whether or not a campsite, especially with electricity, would be available just driving in without reservations.
DonFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFitz
I've used Reserve America for several years to camp in the Wisconsin State Parks, and I really haven't had any problems with it. Considering the high taxes we pay in Wisconsin any attempt to keep payroll costs down by outsourcing is appreciated. Considering the low cost to camp in our beautiful Wi state parks even with the Reserve America fees it's still a great deal. There's no way I would want to sweat out whether or not a campsite, especially with electricity, would be available just driving in without reservations.
We have had some TERRIBLE experiences with Reserve America. Not al of them have been bad,but I would say 90% have. We have experienced agents who treated us as if asking for a reservation was an annoyance and a bother as well as unwilling to look park info. But, we have had a few really cool agents. I get excited when they are nice and helpful.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've used their Internet reservation service without a problem. I know there is a fee but what doesn't have one these days. I've been renewing my Missouri state vehicle tags via the Internet. It also has a fee but it beats the travel and standing in line.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Reserve America has improved over the last couple of years. The biggest problem I have is not with Reserve America but the fact that the southern parks that are used all year round have not set some sites aside for weekly rentals. Without that the locals book every site months in advance and vacationers are left with a 5 day fill in at the more popular parks.

If you are able to plan 11 months in advance you too can play that game but most can not.

Another point of interest. Depending on the clerk, you get when you call in, and if her kids are not cring in the background, some can be very helpful and will look way out on a given site and work there way back until they see a vacancy. I think all RA clerks work from home so there is no office culture against you.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
I used reserve america, and got an unwanted magazine subsricption that I can't cancel. Anybody want "backpacking magazine"?
Is that where that came from? We were wondering who signed us up for a new magazine subscription. We knew we didn't sign up for it.
aturner4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'm with DonFitz. We camp in Wisconsin State Parks fairly often and sometimes want busy weekend slots. I don't mind going without reservations if it's a lower traffic period -- or if I just want to use a state or national forest campground. Minnesota has their own system (probably privately administered) that is folded seamlessly into our DNR site and doesn't switch you over to Reserve America.

I have only used Reserve America's online reservation system. Spending the online time to check electric site availability and site parking length is worth it. I've never dealt with a human and the online experience has been flawless. I haven't needed to cancel any reservations though...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Canceling a reservation is a difficult process by design. Try doing it by phone when you are on the road. Nearly impossible.
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner4u
Is that where that came from? We were wondering who signed us up for a new magazine subscription. We knew we didn't sign up for it.
Today we received Field and Stream. Did it come from the same place? You get your fees back in magazine subscriptions?
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
At least the mag is free, and has great pictures.
Try leaving the mag in your doctor's office and barber shops - it will improve the selection. Pat

What a great freakin' idea! Thanks!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We've been getting Field and Stream also--without ever subscribing, to our knowledge. We've wondered...is it through RA? Good grief. You're right. We should just drop it off at a local office for waiting room reading material. I'd forego the magazine if through RA I could get a site in Florida on the water in winter without spending weeks calling at 6:57 am---always to no avail. This system does us no good. I look back fondly at the days when we could pull into a park and have a chance at a campsite. Sigh. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I use Reserve America for a Corp of Engineer campground at Cheatham Dam Lock A, Ashland City, TN. at least once each year. A change last year in their website took a little getting use to but I finally learned how to work it.

I sure am glad that Tennessee State Parks don't use the system.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I've gotten several women's magazine subscriptions this way, to my chagrin, and Marie's (and seemingly everyone else's that I tell) glee. Usually I get Prevention magazine, from Reserve USA, but when we reserved a site at the end of this month with Reserve America, I got enrolled in their Backpacking America (or whatever it's called) magazine.
The idea of me trying to backpack is pretty funny--I guess I can use the backpack to carry my cane. Now if I got healthy recipes magazine subscriptions, I'd be all over them, and probably reserve campsites just for the mags...
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We have always used Reserve America online and it works okay. Nice to have site maps.

According to several rangers we talked to, up until this month there was a way to "game" the system for Florida State Parks. The result was that the same cadre of snowbirds were locking up every site in the 4 state parks located in the Keys all winter long. We only found out after complaining about not being able to ever get in during the winter.

Apparently there were enough complaints that they put in a fix last month so maybe will have better luck this year.

They also just started holding about a dozen sites at Bahia Honda State Park (in Marathon) as "walk-up" only. That should work out great for folks who head down the Keys on the spur of the moment.

I have to say that even with the fees and the cancellation penalties, it's nice to be able to type in a location and get everything nearby -- save a lot of cell minutes.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I've no problems with reserve america at all.
Here in california to use the state parks you gotta use them or take a chance at just driving somewhere and getting lucky.I've already got at least 20 days reserved at high demand state parks. I never speak with anyone- do everything on line, kinda getting used to it. out here in order to get nice places you need to be on line 7 months in advance.Redwoods, pacific ocean beaches, deserts, Lake Tahoe, it's all good.
I myself do not think $7.50 is all that much. the cost of doing business!
I have more of a problem with park rangers than RA. lol

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 AM   #20
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We use RA for State Parks, NF Land, and others, all around New England and beyond. If anything, I find it to be very convenient. I like knowing we have a site waiting for us if we pull into NF Land at 9:00 on a Friday night after a 4 hour drive.
Have never had one single problem. We have even cancelled on the day of (got lucky and found a better site right on the pond) and received a refund (-$10 fee) for the balance within a week.
RI State parks went on RA starting this year. Without it you could not get in to the popular areas without driving down early in the week, paying for the entire week, and leaving your camper there. Big hassle. I find RA to be a blessing!
Free mags? I never got any…send the Backpacking rag to me….

Bill