Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Recognize this symbol etched onto glass?

Wondering if anyone recognizes this symbol etched onto this stemware. We found a set of four glasses in an old Airstream that

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140308_123152.png
Views:	234
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	207045

was being stripped. It reminds me off the old United or Van lines moving company. Just don't want to get rid of them if they are Airstream related.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #2

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Thousand Palms , California
I'm new here, but I believe I have a valid answer to your question. First, allow me to share with you a few facts. MY dad used to work for the Airstream plant in Cerritos, CA, in the 1970's to 80's. He was an executive, and worked side by side with the president, etc. Everyone got along great together, like a happy family!! I can still recall the dinner parties my mom and dad would host at our home in Tustin, and all the executives and their wives would come and have a great time.

MY folks bought their 1st Airstream back in 1963, & my dad founded the Keystone Unit in PA. I spent many a weekend and summer vacation in our trailer and saw a lot of this country, too. As I look back on this they were some of the best times of my life!!

I don't believe your glasses, the pattern, have anything to do with the Airstream Corporation. I say this because before my dad retired he was given a large box of stemware/glasses made of a very fine quality crystal. The unique thing about them is that Wally Byam is etched on the glasses and he is riding an old style bicycle, the type that has the large wheel in the front and the small one in the rear and he's towing an Airstream with this bike!! They really are beautiful glasses and have never been used.

Both of my parents are now gone, and I ended up with all their worldly possessions. If you think you might be interested in purchasing some of these from me, I'd certainly be willing to have a serious conversation with you about this. I've been trying to find them online, but haven't had any luck, so I honestly don't know if I may have something quite unique or , if perhaps, I just haven't located them on the internet yet.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe my dad was given these glasses just before the Cerritos plant closed down.

Just in case you don't kow who Wally Byam is he was the person who started the Wally Byam Caravan Club for Airstream owners. As a matter of fact, at one time my dad and I were working on restoring Wally's original Airstream. It was the only one that was gold in color. He travelled in that all over the world. I recall taking down the interior walls and watching all the red African sand falling down to the floor!! Pretty amazing stuff!!

I will leave you with this. Feel free to get in touch if you would like to explore obtaining some of these glasses.

Take care,

Gloria
gloria737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Wondering if anyone recognizes this symbol etched onto this stemware. We found a set of four glasses in an old Airstream that

Attachment 207045

was being stripped. It reminds me off the old United or Van lines moving company. Just don't want to get rid of them if they are Airstream related.
Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn has been associated with Airstreams and WBCCI for many years. He is WBCCI member #2. I don't know if he's active on Air Forums - his user name is PeeWee. Perhaps he can shed some light on both types of glasses.

Those things that look like mountains might be the pyramids of Egypt! Who knows?! I hope you can get in touch with Dale.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thank you both for replying. This thread was quite old so we were no longer subscribed to it but stumbled onto it today. Interestingly enough it is the only I had ever posted that had not gotten a reply or comment. Until now.

We did finally pass the glasses on to Goodwill as I was reasonably comfortable they were NOT Airstream related.

Thank you

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
P.S.

Coincidentally Dale is a member of our Arizona 4 Corner Unit.

Hittenstiehl
Old 05-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Glasses

Bump this Thread!

I was in contact with Gloria via PM and she has responded to me regarding the glasses she has inherited from her dad. I will have a chance later today to speak with her about them and will post what I find out here if others are interested. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote