Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,266
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Really Great, Stupid Idea!

Hi, everyone. I had a Really Great, Stupid Idea. A co-worker and I were discussing little ways to improve our RVs. [ My Airstream trailer and his SOB motorhome] We were looking at Grainger Book and found a smoke alarm with a built in "Hush Button". This would help with false alarms while cooking by pressing the "Hush Button" just before you start to cook or to shut it up at the first time it gets smoke. Really Great Idea; So we each bought one about a month ago. Tonight I pulled my trailer forward enough to get the door open so I could do some tinkering and replace my original smoke alarm with this new fantastic model with "Hush button". Well that was Stupid; I bought the same exact smoke alarm that my trailer was built with. [with "Hush Button"]

Anyone else brave enough to tell the rest of the forum about your "Really Great, Stupid Ideas"
__________________

__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
boatdoc's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 644
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, everyone. I had a Really Great, Stupid Idea. A co-worker and I were discussing little ways to improve our RVs. [ My Airstream trailer and his SOB motorhome] We were looking at Grainger Book and found a smoke alarm with a built in "Hush Button". This would help with false alarms while cooking by pressing the "Hush Button" just before you start to cook or to shut it up at the first time it gets smoke. Really Great Idea; So we each bought one about a month ago. Tonight I pulled my trailer forward enough to get the door open so I could do some tinkering and replace my original smoke alarm with this new fantastic model with "Hush button". Well that was Stupid; I bought the same exact smoke alarm that my trailer was built with. [with "Hush Button"]

Anyone else brave enough to tell the rest of the forum about your "Really Great, Stupid Ideas"
Hi Robert; I certainly hope that you do not believe that you are alone. The rest of us, are just as privileged to do stupid stunts as you are. Why, some of us may even have more privileges than you do. I got on the road the other day to the metal supplier to pick up few sheets of aluminum. Few miles down the road, I spotted the suppliers delivery truck going in the opposite direction. I began to wonder about this coincidence and remembered that they had offered me a delivery at the time of ordering. When I got back the truck was waiting at my shop. Just please keep it a secret, I did not tell my wife about it. "Boatdoc"
__________________

__________________
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
When I got back the truck was waiting at my shop. Just please keep it a secret, I did not tell my wife about it. "Boatdoc"
Don't worry BD,

You're secret's safe with us!!!
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
dudebb's Avatar
 
1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 402
Images: 7
me too!

Have you ever headed out on an errand - starting out driving the way you normally go to work - and end up half way to work before you realize you wanted to go someplace else in a what is by now different direction?!!
__________________
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Just please keep it a secret, I did not tell my wife about it. "Boatdoc"
As long as "Mrs. Boatdoc" doesn't peruse the forums, your secret is safe with us.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Robertsunrus

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Nope, I've never done anything like that . Nope, not me.

Actually, that needs to be clarified. Not today, or even this week at least.

I sure feel a lot better about my own little incidents after seeing yours though. Thanks for the early Easter Egg.

Barry
__________________
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,697
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebb
Have you ever headed out on an errand - starting out driving the way you normally go to work - and end up half way to work before you realize you wanted to go someplace else in a what is by now different direction?!!
Oh yeah, then my wife says "where you going?"
__________________
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Oh yeah, then my wife says "where you going?"
I've sadly had the WYG question asked a time or two and find that one a tad awkward for sure.
Barry
__________________
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,266
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Well, are we the only people on this forum brave enough to admit what we done. Or are we the only people, on this forum, who have done stupid things?
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,697
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Well, are we the only people on this forum brave enough to admit what we done. Or are we the only people, on this forum, who have done stupid things?
Our spare bathroom has wallpaper with various quotes on it. One of the quotes is: "You grow up the day you have your first laugh at yourself".
Dave
__________________
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
FreshAir's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,327
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Our spare bathroom has wallpaper with various quotes on it. One of the quotes is: "You grow up the day you have your first laugh at yourself".
Dave
Have you wondered why your guests are spending longer than normal time in your bathroom? Bet you blame that on your cooking.
Neil.
__________________
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Avatar;
Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,697
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
Have you wondered why your guests are spending longer than normal time in your bathroom? Bet you blame that on your cooking.
Neil.
Could be a little of both...there are a few great sayings on the walls. We get a lot of comments. Kinda fun/funny.
__________________
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
wheel interested's Avatar
 
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Well, are we the only people on this forum brave enough to admit what we done. Or are we the only people, on this forum, who have done stupid things?
Noooo As soon as you posted I was all excited to post my similar experience. I have thought and thought and thought, but I am so stupid I can't remember what it was.

But I tell you this, it happened not so long ago at all. I tried very hard to figure out what I was going to do about something in the Airstream that I did not like, all the while griping to myself, "why in the world did they do that? What were they thinking?" Idea after idea got exercised and at last I happened upon something I thought just might work out. As I went to impliment my great idea...DAH! It hit me like a ton of bricks!...that was precisely what it was for and all this time it had completely baffled me.

So now it looks like I am going to have to rediscover what that was, and start the entire process of figuring out what to do with it, and then when I figure out what I could do with it, I will know that's exactly what it is for, only next time I will get to add the rememberance that I had been there before but had forgotten! (They let me out without a keeper...I don't know why.)
__________________
Caroljb



photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,697
Images: 8
Just be sure to take notes this time around....
__________________

__________________
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strip 'n Polish Project Thread (lots of great tips and links) Ferroequine Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 419 09-12-2017 09:52 AM
Hello to all here is a PIC of my '68 GT Jim Clark 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter 8 08-12-2007 08:27 PM
Great idea! Nonbreakable vases for travel pamelake General Interior Topics 2 02-24-2007 07:18 PM
Forum Addition Idea? JodynJeep On The Road... 1 09-22-2002 11:48 AM
Where do you suppose they put the antenna jack -'73 safari ? Chuck 1969 - 1973 Safari 14 06-13-2002 12:34 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.