Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Really cold weather travel

It's about 5 degrees in western NY and we are planning our escape to warmer places in the next couple weeks. This will be our second trip in the 2Can. So we haven't had any cold weather experience. We have been discussing various options for travel in and through the cold: 1. keep trailer winterized and stay in motels until we get into warmer temps, 2. load trailer with belongings and groceries and turn on furnace, 3. load everything but water and don't turn on furnace and hope the food etc. doesn't freeze....
What do the rest of you winter travelers do? I have searched the forum but haven't found anything about others successful or unsuccessful adaptations. Thanks for any help, MJ
MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Don't fill the water as you mentioned but we carry bottled water and wipes, we use the toilet holding tank as necessary, we travel with the heat on low perhaps 55 degrees and turn it up when we enter the trailer. Brad will be leaving Michigan for New Mexico on Wednesday. Stopping where there is electric for the night or using 12 volt mattress heater pads for a short time to take the chill off or hot water bottles will warm bedding. Bring winter shovel, emergency food, water, and clothing and blankets in the truck with you. Drive till you get to where its warm or until you are at your destination... just like winter tent camping, only better????

We did go to Grand Canyon one January without running the heat while traveling. The bed was SO cold like a slab even doubling up with full outdoor winter clothing and covers, brrrr.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
wilson , New York
We have done limited winter camping but when the trailer was new and we were just dying to use it we spent a week in the adirondacks in 0-15 deg weather. We kept the trailer winterized and used bottled water for drinking. We also used the campgrounds bathroom and shower. The heat was inadequate and we were forced to purchase a space heater to help keep warm. With that everything was bearable. I am not sure that the insulation in our Classic is the best but then again our experience was in very cold weather. I hope this helps. Good luck.

'05 Dodge 2500 SLT 4X4

TAC# NY-5256
Tin Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
We keep the trailer winterized until we get into warm weather. We carry 4 gals. of water in the trailer. Have the refrigerator full of food, and off while on the road. Keep the heat on around 55-60 depends on how cold outside temp. is while driving. When we get into a campground, turn on the refrigertor (hooked up to short power). We also use the campground bathroom. We do not stay in rest areas or Walmarks over night.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks, there seems to be some agreement. Don't fill the tanks, run the furnace on low and get to warm weather! I will look for a small electric supplement heater for the BR as well and get to a plug in after driving for a day. We will be traveling with a cat who doesn't like to be cold either! Is there any advice on a heater? I'll also be looking for 12V mattress heaters, that sounds wonderful.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When I left Ohio in 10 degree weather, the coach water system was winterized. I left everything off, and purchased all my food when I reached my destination in Florida.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
That is my husbands choice but that means staying in motels, carrying everything that will freeze into our room (including the cat) and packing differently to make that possible. That sounds like work rather than vacation.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Yippee I finally got my picture to show up but it sure is small. What is the maximum size?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBear View Post
It's about 5 degrees in western NY and we are planning our escape to warmer places in the next couple weeks. This will be our second trip in the 2Can. So we haven't had any cold weather experience. We have been discussing various options for travel in and through the cold: 1. keep trailer winterized and stay in motels until we get into warmer temps, 2. load trailer with belongings and groceries and turn on furnace, 3. load everything but water and don't turn on furnace and hope the food etc. doesn't freeze....
What do the rest of you winter travelers do? I have searched the forum but haven't found anything about others successful or unsuccessful adaptations. Thanks for any help, MJ
I would suggest turning on the furnace at about 55-60. Leave it on. Keep the lines, heater and water tank winterized.
The tanks may still freeze. Take gallon jugs of water for drinking, cooking and flushing. Use anti-bacterial wipes for showers.
Put RV antifreeze in the toilet and the shower/grey tank.

I have had mine in -10f this way and it works fine.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote