Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2004, 09:54 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
We love Airstreams like you do!

Hi all!

I think there is only one reason why we europeans try to buy airstreams in the US - because we love them!!

It would be way easier for us to buy an old european vintagetrailer over here and restore it, then buying an old airstream in the US and ship it to Europe. Its not only the costs of shipping, but for the german road the hitch-system and the axles have to be changed as electric brakes are forbidden. So before you get your new Airstream on an european/german road you have to spend at least 8000 US$ plus the money for the airstream.
I think no one would spend that money if he wouldn´t really love airstreams and is desperate to own one and I can assure you that not a single airstream sits in an european backyard and is used as a shotgun target...

BTW most people don´t even own a gun as it is very very hard to get a license for them.
I personally hope that one fine day I will find someone in the US to sell me an airstream, that I can bring over to Germany and use with my family for travelling Europe and the rest of the world. And maybe in a hopefully not to far future we will have Airstream Ralleys allover Europe, where people from all cultures meet who have the same ideal - living with an Airstream as a family member.

Best wishes from the other side of the big lake!!

Bjoern
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
greetings and felicitations!
welcome to the forum...in your post you mentioned changeover of brake system...is that required of visitors rigs or just residents of your country?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:22 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
no different than all the Triumphs, MG, Jags, old Porsches, Ferraris, etc that came here from Europe. Especially when the Euro car thing was happening in the late 70's early 80's.
I had a great 81 Porsche euro that came direct from Germany to my garage. Glad to see American iron ( and aluminum) overseas.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
amberieu en bugey France , france
Send a message via MSN to frederic.c01
hi all

I is nothing change on the van b250 the lights and flickering all red.
in europe it's orange.

the caravan also all is of origine.After(tuv) administration control all given has the origin (electric brake , hitch-system) all us origine.
we live in france and we respect the law...hahaha
fred
WE LOVE AIRSTREAM TRAILER IN EUROPE.
old europe ...old trailer
frederic.c01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Norbert,

to be honest - I have to check with the Car registration office over here. I have friends living in Colorado and my idea was to buy an Airstream with tow vehicel in the US and the ship them to Germany with an US License Plate. That would help because I could drive the Trailer to the port in the USA and from the German or probably Dutch Port to my hometown. Otherwise all the transportation (at least in Europe) has to be done by truck.
I will check how the rules are for people visiting europe with their own trailer and tow vehicle.

Bjoern
Old 08-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
<snip>...to see that a 1949 Whirlwind and a 1950 Cruiser were being actively advertised to Europeans
I agree that a seller has the right to sell to whoever is willing to pay the asking price - american or ???. However, my hope is these 'rare oldies' (28' & 25') are being restored for their intended purpose...travel! And that these new owners have the right intentions for their new 'pride & joys' and not some big-buck corporation whose intent is to gut them and turn them into a curio shop, coffee stand, hamburger joint or some other stagnant form of one of our most treasured american icons.

That,
in my opinion, would be a shame whether it be here or abroad.

On the other hand, what makes 'Americans' who we are is our freedom & capitalism...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Why we have a hitchweight problem over here...

Hi all,

I had a look at the VAC ads and I saw the email adress of that guy, who is advertising the whirlwind and the cruiser, in other ads before. What I think is, that he is selling these older models to europeans because he knows that we have a hitchweight problem over here. The average european cars for hauling a trailer (like a VW Passat, an Audi A6 or the Mercedes E Class) have an max hitchweight of 165 lbs. The max Hitchweight I have on my car (the VW Eurovan) is 231 lbs and on the Defender from Range Rover it is 330 lbs. SUV or heavier cars are not very common over here as the gas prices are way higher then in the US (about 5.59 US$ per Gallon!! ) and taxes as well.
BUT I am 100% on your side when it comes to restricting sales to europeans or who ever only!! That is unfair and not in the interest of a free market.
What people over here already did to lower the hitchweight is, that they rearange the new axles more in the middle of the Trailerframe, so that more weight is on the rear of the trailer! I saw that on a 31' Sovereign here in Germany.

Just my 2c and maybe something from interest for you.

And sell your Airstream to a person you trust in and were you have the best feeling that your "darling" is going into good hands. Despite of the nationality.

Björn
Old 08-11-2004, 05:05 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
When I was loking for a A/S the first two sellers did not want to sel to a european
the third raised the price with 50 % over the original asking price
the fourth a nice member of this list was a real nice guy and was very helpfull with aranging for the transport to the harbour and got me also thinks like the brake controler and other smal parts
last week I ( better to say my wife ) refused a offer of 17000 euro on our 1974 27 Ft
overlander good looking but not perfect
and how would you feel if I had a nice vintage BMW BENZ or VOLVO and say No I dont
sell to americans
Regards Remco
the Netherlands
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:54 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Brad, sign me up!

But I heard the bridge toll for three axles is $127,500 -- one way!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:14 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Woo hoo, I'll top that! The Discovery channel aired a show about the possibility of building a bridge across the Bering Strait.

Imagine that...

Pre-register now for Cape Horn to Cape Town, 2009:

This Airstream caravan - on the 50th anniversary of Wally Byam's African Caravan - will be one the road for one continuous year, picking up and dropping off groups of people at predetermined locations including Mexico City, Seattle, Moscow, Paris, Jerusalem and Cairo. But we invite you to make the commitment and join us for the entire trip!

Itinerary: We begin at the southern tip of Argentina. Winding our way up through South and Central America, then up the west coast of the U.S., into Canada, and through Alaska. Then we'll cross the largest structure ever built by mankind: The new 54 mile, $100 billion Bering Bridge.

Then we travel through Siberia in summertime, through Europe, down through the Middle East, and finally into Africa. The last stretch of the trip finishes up in Cape Town, South Africa, where the greatest Airstream caravan of all time began in 1959. And the greatest part? You'll be waking up to the whole world from the comfort of your very own Airstream trailer, your home away from home.
you must be kidding.....IF on the other hand(she had warts...sorry i couldnt stop myself) this is for true...are there to be support vehicles in this wagon train(sag wagons for airstreams and people)?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 08-11-2004, 08:16 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Brad, sign me up!

But I heard the bridge toll for three axles is $127,500 -- one way!
maybe they will have a group rate....

Old 08-11-2004, 08:25 AM   #32
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
maybe they will have a group rate....
I think I can arrange ferry service for $99,000.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:53 AM   #33
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Lightbulb

Hi Remco,

Tell your buyer he can have mine for that price and I'll give you 5k Euros ! no kidding.

Ron
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote