Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #1135
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Iím a member in a Facebook group for Canned Ham owners... odd group of people. They have an unwritten rule against talking poorly about Previous Owners, so as not to hurt the feelings of someone who may do a crap repair on their own trailer. Seriously! EVERYTHING I have repaired to this point on this little Canned Ham is due to crap maintenance by Previous Owners. Everything! Tell you what, just do your best preventive maintenance, and I wonít say one negative thing about you. But do a ďrepairĒ that causes more damage than no maintenance at all and expect me not to comment? Now weíre talking crazy talk... Sorry, Iím feeling the pressure of my self imposed deadline. Well, itís only self imposed by me buying a camper that wasnít any where near ready to camp, and I have to have it ready by January 11th... what the heck was I thinking. Busy weekend coming up!

Dear Previous Owners of my rotted out Canned Ham, you are probably all some of the best people in the whole planet. Iím not questioning your morals, or calling you malicious, or saying anything about your character. You are AWESOME people. I love you bunches! But for the love of all things aluminum, get some help when you go to make a repair on your camper. Read repair forums. Ask people questions. Practice on scrap material. And if you just canít get the hang of it, pay someone to do it right. You will thank me, your trailer will thank me, the next owner of your trailer will thank me...
Dear next person to own my camper, sorry for some of the short cuts I took. I was in a hurry. Go ahead and talk bad about me. Iím a big boy, I can take it!

-Red, sometimes part of the problem, sometimes part of the solution...

Old 04-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #1136
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I think 20% for taking an order and bringing the food to the table is too much. 10% should be enough for that job, after all they wait on several tables at a time.

I usually tip 15%, but what did that waitress say as we left?
OLD POST, but did you know that in many states wait staff still get less than $3.00 per hour and many of their customers are unkind, unwashed and sometimes borderline insane. Jack Nicholson was a pussycat by comparison.

I leave a bad tip only for truly wretched service without extenuating circumstances.

Remarkably great service? I call the manager's attention to it AND drop $20 for a $12 check. (About once a year if that)

Paula

Old 04-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #1137
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
OLD POST, but did you know that in many states wait staff still get less than $3.00 per hour and many of their customers are unkind, unwashed and sometimes borderline insane. Jack Nicholson was a pussycat by comparison.
I am reminded of an incident that happened to an acquaintance of mine who worked at the New Orleans Hard Rock Cafe.

A celebrity family of four (all adults)-- who will remain nameless because they are political figures-- went to the Hard Rock for drinks and dinner. The manager recognized the family, and assigned my acquaintance to serve them, and only them, for the duration of their stay. In the space of six hours they ran up a total tab of $396 and change. Even including four meals and accounting for French Quarter drink prices, that's still a lot of drinks to be served to just four people. Because there were only four in the group, no gratuity was added to the bill; gratuities are only added for groups of six or more. As she tells the story, this political family got more rude, more condescending, and more obnoxious with every drink served, not at all like their public personas on television.

The head of the famous family paid the tab with $400 cash, and graciously said "Keep the change." My acquaintance was heartbroken. She had worked hard her whole shift serving that one table and only that one table, and got less than $4 in tips. Since her wages were "$2 per hour plus tips" according to her employment contract, she put in a grueling six-hour shift for less than $16 total wages.

I used to moonlight in a bar in the French Quarter when I was younger, and I learned to not only appreciate but also reward good service after having been the one having to serve rude and ungrateful patrons while smiling and pretending that I and my co-workers actually enjoyed being treated like third-class citizens for wages too cheap for even illegal aliens to endure just because of a loophole in minimum wage laws.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #1138
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Various owners of the food establishments got a slave labor law passed so they could make even more profit off of their employees. Every other business has to pay the so called living minimum wage (try and do that) and restaurant food prices have only gone up with time, but not the pittance hourly wage for wait folks.

End of rant.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #1139
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
I spent ten years tending bar and waiting tables in some of the best places. People vary in many ways, and one of them is recognizing others for their efforts. I will say that the lessons learned make one a better person, and more prone to recognize others for their efforts.