Old 01-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Eating right, not drinking too much and exercising might help you live longer. For sure it will feel like longer. What a drag.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #296
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
My PCP told me to watch my waistline, so I had to get it out where I could see it.

Bob

Check out the Duluth Trading catalog if you can. They have a banded bottom polo shirt for people like me who suffer from Dunlap's disease (i.e., when your belly dunlaps over your belt :-) ).

Disclosure - I have no connection with Duluth other than being a completely happy customer of nearly everything I've purchased there (and no, I haven't tried that particular polo shirt :-) ).

On a more serious random health thought - I just submitted my 6-months cigar free affidavit to my employer which will result in a reduction in my health care premiums. More importantly, it resulted in a moment of thankfulness that I have been able to give them up (they were becoming more than an occasional event) and not miss them.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #297
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Congrats on giving up the cigars. I quit smoking on August 1, 1988. I can't imagine the money I have saved... When I smoked, I could get a carton of cigarettes at the BX for what they're paying per pack today. About ten years after I quit, I was wearing a favorite leather jacket of mine, and found myself fishing around in the breast pocket... Realized I was reaching for a smoke I hadn't had in at least ten years. Habits die hard. Congrats again!

-Red, still wondering where the money went...
Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #298
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Congratulations from me as well. I gave up smoking on May 28th, 2006. So few months after Hurricane Katrina, there were no 24-hour convenience stores in the metro area because there weren't enough people who had moved back to staff the night shifts. So when I ran out of cigarettes around 10pm on a Sunday night, I knew I had zero chance of finding anyplace open to buy more. I said to myself, "Self, you might as well just quit." So I did, just because I was too danged lazy to go hunting for more. No patches, no support groups, just quit cold turkey.

Surprisingly, I haven't missed smoking in all that time, but I am not bothered by other people smoking around me, either. I'm not one of those annoying born-again nonsmokers who has to lecture smokers on the evils of the demon nicotine.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #299
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
My oldest daughter has taken up the vapor cigarettes. Is completely off of regular now. Her lungs are clearing up, morning hack has gone, has her singing voice back. One way to try for smokers...

I too, like Protagonist, quit cold turkey. Picked a day that was a few months out, and said that will be it. I got up Aug. 1st, threw away the cigarettes I had left in the freezer (like I ever let one go stale) and was a grumpy SOB (not "some other brand") for about three weeks. Pretty rare that I ever even think about it this far down the road, but every now and again, like when you're sipping a beer and someone lights one up nearby... Or a cup of coffee first thing in the morning when it's all cool and crisp and a little smoke rolls by... Or ...

-Red, running out to buy a pack...
Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #300
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I had quit a 3 pack a day cigarette habit in my 20s and only had an occasional cigar over the years. When the occasion turns in to days of the week ending in the letter "y" that could be a sign :-)

While I hate the smell of cigarettes and have never really been tempted to pick them up again, I still love the smell of cigars and pipes and am going to have to be extra diligent not to let that sway me in to firing up again.

Everyone's mileage will vary - no judgement here!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #301
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I had quit a 3 pack a day cigarette habit in my 20s and only had an occasional cigar over the years. When the occasion turns in to days of the week ending in the letter "y" that could be a sign :-)

While I hate the smell of cigarettes and have never really been tempted to pick them up again, I still love the smell of cigars and pipes and am going to have to be extra diligent not to let that sway me in to firing up again.

Everyone's mileage will vary - no judgement here!

I have the same problem with beer... I completely quit for eight years, and limit myself now to when and how many. The "only on days ending in y" thing comes way too easily for me.

Luckily, when I do drink, I'm a REALLY happy drunk. The downside is I get incredibly handsome, and women have a hard time keeping their butts off my hands... So, yeah, I avoid going there. It saves me a lot of embarrassment and apologizing...

-Red, completely unattractive sober...
Old 01-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #302
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
My Doc, who is my cousin, told me to get back in shape or I would shorten my lifespan by 20 years or more.

I said "Kurt, you've seen our older relatives. They're in their late eighties, and they are all HUGE."

So, I'm guessing none of them are going to make much past 100.

As for the smoking, I quit for 2 months after my by-pass surgery. (You really do not want to cough or sneeze at that time.) That should count for something.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #303
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Dies at 102... Relative at funeral: "If only they had exercised..."

Just keep moving. As long as you're moving, you're not dead!

-Red, still moving...
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #304
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
My brother's wife had a heart attack today. They have her heart beating again, but in a coma. Not sure of the damage. Prayers are appreciated... Not quite fifty yet. Too young to go...

-Red, hurting a bit...
Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #305
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Red, sorry to read that news. I will include her in my prayers

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #306
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Same as switz here, red.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #307
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas