Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
'Radiation-Proof' RVs to Launch Soon in U.S.

I've thought of any number of inappropriate lead-ins -- instead will let it stand by itself. You might want to use an International CXT as your 'toad' however.....

Wed Jan 12, 7:39 AM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters
(from Yahoo! News)

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Two private U.S. companies have designs on building the first luxury recreational vehicle that could withstand nuclear radiation.

Parliament Coach Corp., a privately held company in Clearwater, Florida, which converts Prevost buses into high-end RVs, has partnered with Homeland Defense Vehicles to offer consumers a luxury motor coach that can protect occupants against nuclear radiation from dirty bombs as well as biological and chemical attacks.

The idea is to offer the option on the pricey vehicles to consumers worried about terror attacks, officials for both companies said Tuesday.

"Many people enjoy the RV lifestyle, but we also live in an era when people have some level of fear about terrorism," Parliament Chief Executive Harvey Mitchell said in a statement. "These concerns about terrorism are linked to states where people with RVs like to travel."

The vehicles, costing from $1.2 million to $2 million, will be introduced Wednesday at the Tampa Super RV Show in Florida.

Parliament takes the Prevost buses, which are like transit buses without seats, and adds a luxury interior that sleeps from two to four people, while also providing such amenities as a satellite navigation system and plasma televisions.

The RVs run from $1.1 million to $1.9 million, including a trailer, Parliament said. The filtration system, which uses positive air pressure, will be an option costing about $100,000, added Parliament, which builds 12 high-end RVs a year.

Occupants could live for several days in the custom-built motor coach, said Daniel Ayres, president and CEO of Homeland Defense, a privately held company based in Newton, Texas, which makes mobile medical and command center vehicles for universities, county and state governments, and the U.S. Department of Defense.

Last week, Homeland Defense introduced a similar filtration system for the luxury version of the Medium Tactical Vehicle used by the U.S. Army and built by Stewart & Stevenson Services Inc.

The vehicle, dubbed "Bad Boy Heavy Muscle Truck," weighs more than 13,000 pounds, is 10 feet high and 21 feet long, and has a ground clearance of almost 2 feet. Homeland Defense hopes to sell 50 of the Bad Boy HMTs this year at prices as high as $750,000.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Kevlar Lined and Bullet Proof Glass

I saw MEET THE FOCKERS last night. Jack Byrnes, the character played by Robert DeNiro, bought a kevlar lined bullet proof glass motorhome to meet the Fockers.

I followed one of those International CXTs up I-35 into Minneapolis last September. I saw it in my rear view mirror first and then it passed me. Basically they are dump trucks with what looked like a tad too small of a pickup bed for the size of truck.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In concept it's a great idea. I suspect there if there is a perception, there will be somone out there that delivers on the fear factor.

So many variables are needed though to ensure survival in such an event that I myself would think it really wouldn't be worth it. Though a terrorist using a nuclear weapon, if they could haul it around, most likely would be a ground or near ground detonation making the blast and contamination areas far less than say a conventional nuclear attack with an air burst at the appropriate height. Most skyscrapers are not gonna let the metals in even a suitcase bomb pass through the metal detecors or physical searchs now in place at most of the skyscrapers I visit in downtown Chicago. I would think other cities here do the same.

My gut tells me that although a terrorist nuclear hit is possible, it's far more likely that well see a chemical or bio weapon attack that would be easier to transport and deliver. Making this luxo yacht something for Robin Leech's life styles of the rich and clueless.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
BTW, there are several companies that armor plate SUVs. The Suburban is one of the favs. Here is but one of a dozen or so outfits.

http://www.alpineco.com/specs/suburban/index2.htm

Given carjackings happen more than nuclear armed terrorists, this might be a better bang for the buck.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Then, uh, go for the 34-foot Classic!

Quote:
I saw something in the Times today. Two companies are making RVs that can withstand the radiation from a nuclear attack. The bad news is you have to spend the next 10,000 years in your RV. – Jay Leno
In Twilight Zone we learned to avoid asking, "Everybody just go away!"

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-19-2005, 12:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
On a similar note..
Check this one out for taking on "Road Rage'r"..
http://www.dieselsuburbans.com
Then, go down the page to the video clip...
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:09 AM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
In Twilight Zone we learned to avoid asking, "Everybody just go away!"

My favorite episode! Damn eyeglasses anyway...

Just a reality check here folks... FWIW, you are significantly more likely to be killed in a car crash, from falling in your house or by your angry spouse than to be killed in a terrorist incident or nuclear attack.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the New Madrid earthquake fault slipping again as it did in 1804 and/or the recently-recognized Yellowstone basin caldera blowing out for the third time than I am about terrorists. And I must add I'm not particularly concerned about either of those!

If you have the opportunity and want to get a little perspective on the state of the world other than as sensationalized by the popular media, read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The sky is falling, the sky is falling...

Roger -- And just how is Michael Crichton any more real than The DaVinci Codes? (cue Bates Motel violins...)

Population center geologic risks still start with the LA fault zones. Let's just hope we never see these in our lifetime. New Madrid has been the spookiest rogue seismic event since Columbus. There's room for both of us on the fringe of the Canadian Shield -- the most stable zone in the continent.

Yellowstone is a large caldera but the most active system is probably the Long Valley Caldera at Mammoth, CA -- regular inflation and deflation in recent decades. (Here and here)

53FC -- I'll back away from your unit any time... !!! Just point out which direction will not pi** you off!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
I've thought of any number of inappropriate lead-ins -- instead will let it stand by itself. You might want to use an International CXT as your 'toad' however.....

Wed Jan 12, 7:39 AM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters
(from Yahoo! News)
The vehicle, dubbed "Bad Boy Heavy Muscle Truck," weighs more than 13,000 pounds, is 10 feet high and 21 feet long, and has a ground clearance of almost 2 feet. Homeland Defense hopes to sell 50 of the Bad Boy HMTs this year at prices as high as $750,000.

My Homeland Security Tax Dollars at work. Every police department in the country is going to what one of these now that they cann't buy 42 inch plasma displays anymore. You have to love the system or you would go nuts.

PS. I wonder if I could work this into my "The Bat Cave Express" rebuild
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote