Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Carmilla, going back to post #1, would you tell me about your quilting frame? What kind and where to get one like it? How to set a quilt into the frame? I have decided to buy a good frame for handquilting for myself. Also, two friends and I are trying to put a twin quilt top, backing, and batting onto a floor frame at a nearby church, and we obviously do not know what we are doing! Advice would be SO appreciated. Thanks for all. ~G
Georgia, too bad you are not a lot closer. I have a oak king size quilting frame in my attic, never used. I would happily give it to you.
Also on the UFO with Labor day just around the corner I thought I really could have finished at least one project. But haven't completed any, but have come closer to being completing so maybe I will this fall.
But on the happy side we have had several trips since March. For the most part we take a trip, come home to was clothes, mow the grass and reload. Off again in a few days. Looking forward to see all your finished projects. Susan

Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Susan, what a wonderful offer, but we are so far apart, much like Lewis and Clark setting out from St. Louis to your seacoast! Thank you for your kindness, but perhaps one of these days you'll haul that oak quilting frame back downstairs and put a beautiful quilt sandwich into it for hand quilting. I hope so As for UFO's, we've had family concerns this summer that have distracted me from all the quilting goals I made last spring. I can see I'll not meet the Labor Day deadline, but my spirits are improving and I still intend to sew, sew, sew, right through the fall and winter. I can DO it Again, thank for your generous thought! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Quilt Racks

I wish I could tell you the brand, but it is a home-made one that my mother bought at a garage sale and then I liberated from her basement. I have another one from my sister in-law that belonged to her mother that I use for twin size projects.

What I like about mine is it is basically built on two saw horses. Yes, it's harder to manuver around, but it is STURDY! When the dogs or kids bump into it (or the greyhound decides to use the quilt as a hammock) I know it won't fall over and the rollers won't bend.

Mine has three rollers. There are two "back" rollers. The Quilt top goes on one, and the batting and backing go on the other. I only use two of them- even with a queen sized project, I quilt from the middle out.

Alot of the ones you can buy are flimsy, and the rollers bend easily, or are hard to turn. This one has heavy rollers with actual locking sprockets. If you're handy with a saw and nail gun- there are building plans all over the web.

Sadly, my UFO will not be completed by Labor day either- But the contest did get me up and moving again!!! I'm almost ready for the border, but I can't decide what design to use. Maybe I'll post some pictures and ask for opinions.

Only 6 days left!!!

Tess
Old 08-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Ooops! As for getting it into the frame- my only suggestion is to make sure you sew it onto the rollers straight- othersise when you roll it up, it gets hard to sew straight. I can't wait to see how this one is shaped when it comes off. I think I may have stiched it into more of a trapezoid.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thank you, Carmilla. You confirm what I've suspected when looking at frames on the internet--flimsy, not what I want. I think that is what I admired about yours: it looks very sturdy, like the ones I remember elderly friends quilting on decades ago. I may look into having an Amish set made when we go visit friends in North Missouri next month. These men have marvelous wood working skills, would understand the need for sturdiness as well as functionality. I know I want locking sprockets or gears, much like I used on a floor loom years ago to keep tension tight and even. Thank you for describing your frame. You've given me ideas that may turn into a terrific set of frames for my own hand quilting! ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Tess- Can we have an extension to Halloween? Looks like many are still unfinished?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Can we get an extension on the Labor Day dealine?....Say Halloweeen?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Sorry for the 2nd post, the first one didnt show up for me until now.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #65
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
I would be up for an extension??? lol, not that it would help but maybe pigs WILL fly.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Extension

I'm up for whatever the group decides on. Personally, I'd benefit from an extension as well!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
For whomever would like it- once I get this quilt off the rack, I'd be happy to take detailed photos for those looking to build their own. The only downside to mine is that it doesn't tilt. I think quilting would be easier on my back if it tilted.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Is it possible to block up the back two "feet" to give a tilted surface for quilting? Or would that put a strain on the cross pieces? I'd love to see your frame in close up photos. Thanks so much for thinking of this. ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Extension

What is the group vote? Are we drawing today or extending until Halloween?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #70
Dreaming of Streaming

2004 22' International CCD
Davis/SF , California
I vote Halloween! And I am really going to get on it... is there no "rolls eyes" smiley icon?