Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quilting - Singer featherweight case stinks

OK we've had a quilting thread going here for a long time. I have a Singer Featherweight 221 - sews nicely and it's not one of the "rare" ones if there is such a thing. The problem is the case - it's OLD wood and leatherette and while it's solid I nearly puke every time I open it from the extremely strong smell. Apparently many of the old cases get this odor. I've tried everything - saucers full of white vinegar, ammonia, an oxygen generator, Fabreeze (which makes it better for about half an hour then it get bad again).

I've seen reproduction wood cases on e-bay for $79 but I'm just too cheap to buy one. Besides, a plastic one would be lighter. I can certainly make one from fabric with or without internal stiffeners for under $20 and and 2 hours labor - but I thought I'd check here before I go to the fabric store to buy the materials.

I understand that some people treasure these cases - AND that it MIGHT eliminate the odor if I steamed off the interior paper lining, sealed the wood and installed a new one. My lungs would probably collapse in the process. So this one is going into the trash unless someone really wants it. Free clothspin for your nose included.

Paula

Old 07-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
the wife said to put the case in a large plastic bag with dryer sheets and leave it for about a month. I second the motion, I worked for a home care company and when we picked up a Oxygen concentrator that had been a house with SMOKERS, we did the same thing. Yes, we preached NO SMOKING but when we left the house, the family was back at it. Use a good brand of dryer sheets.

mike

Old 07-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
I second the dryer sheet idea but after that treatment, try spraying it with a couple coats of aerosol sealant or varnish. It would be a cheap experiment and if it works, great, if not, you aren't any worse off.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I second the varnish thought. It would seal it, and might eliminate the odor. I bought my machine from someone who restores them, and it came with a new reproduction case. You can buy small roller bags for machines, but probably not cheaper. Try Joanns on line - you might find something cheaper when they have those good sales, or if you can get a 50% coupon on one item...

Kay
Old 07-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Just wondering here, how would it be if you kept it sealed up in a plastic bag with fresh charcoal for some time before doing the new polyurethane? Of course you'd need to need make certain the charcoal didn't touch the case.

I agree about the featherweight Singers -- I used to check them out on ebay, but never did buy one.

Deb
Old 07-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
I have a few singer 221 feather weights don't throw that case away I will pay the shipping if you want to get rid of it , I have a centennial model year that I didn't get the top part of the case ,yours would be a nice donor
Old 07-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #7
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Paula, check with these guys: Remove Odor | Eliminate Odor | Odor Remover df

They sell odor removal products that are mostly sold in the commercial market (hotels, apartments, etc). I'm looking at one of their products for a basement full of mildew. Supposed to be really good stuff.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
OK it's in the bag with many dryer sheets. Hope this works. Setting a reminder on my cell phone to pull it out in a month.

If the smell returns - it's going in the mail to the shineybullet, who asked first.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
OK it's in the bag with many dryer sheets. Hope this works. Setting a reminder on my cell phone to pull it out in a month.

If the smell returns - it's going in the mail to the shineybullet, who asked first.
Thanks just let me know if you decide to get ride of it
Old 07-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Renville , Minnesota
From what I understand, the musty odor is quite common in Featherweight cases, I inherited my Grandmother's 221 when my mother died, a the stench from the case was terrible, I have not completely eliminated the odor, but significantly reduced it by sprinkling bakining Soda inside then setting it in the sun for about a week!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Paula,
My wife has two and one of them smelled. She isolated the majority of the smell to the power cord. We washed it with several different cleaners and Febreezed it. It got better but never completely went away. I'll second the baking soda recommendation. It helps in refrigerators and freezers.

She will be happy to learn there is a quilting thread.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I had 2 of them and they both stank. The smell reminded me of the rust preventative lubricant used by the military. The armory at Fort Drum smelled much the same. I wonder if the cases were treated to prevent rusting in storage.