Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
OOH, something I could acturally AFFORD??!!??? I'll have to check that Janome Jem out. I've heard about Featherweights, but never actually seen one. I'm a ways from retirement (or it feels like it right now, anyway - 9 - 10 years depending on the economy) so I have time.
I made a wallhanging for my parents Airstream a number of years ago, and have it back now that they are no longer owners. I'll have to take a picture of it and post. It was at the time that I was doing a lot of machine satin-stitch applique and wasn't into quilting much yet. I was thinking the other day that I would love to put together an Airstream paperpieced wall quilt - getting the actual brain power to think it through and draw it is the problem!
Has anyone seen patterns for Airstream related stuff?

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #22
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Ideas For Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
I've heard about Featherweights, but never actually seen one. I'm a ways from retirement (or it feels like it right now, anyway - 9 - 10 years depending on the economy) so I have time.

I was thinking the other day that I would love to put together an Airstream paperpieced wall quilt - getting the actual brain power to think it through and draw it is the problem!
Has anyone seen patterns for Airstream related stuff?

Kay
For featherweights, first check craigslist for your local area. Check garage sales. Check Goodwill Stores and they have an online auction site and more than once a Featherweight has come up. I got mine off Craigslist, with a Singer Treadle for less than $100 from a bitter ex-husband who just wanted to get rid of it. As well as three bags of unused clothing fabric, which I donated. I sold the treadle (I already had two) and actually made a profit on my purchase.

I could have a few ideas on the Airstream wall quilt. There is a site online that I buy 1 inch hexes from that has all different shapes.

Welcome

You could literally purchase the shapes you needed to create your AS pattern.

If anyone is interested here is the link that I post my crafting pictures on for friends to view.

http://capriciouscrafting.blogspot.com/

Warning - there is a bit of cross posting if I do something for the A/S that can be considered crafting.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #23
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I have a current project that is a hand pieced hexagon quilt and 99% is already cut out. So I have not actually taken any quilting tools out besides a needle, thread, and scissors. Our longest trip so far has been 3 days, so I would be interested to find out what everyone's must have quilt tools for a long trip is.

Loved the storage of the rotary mat under the bed... particularly as I didn't think I could find room for one.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Be careful buying featherweights (or any old Singer). Singers were made by the millions and were very tough machines. There are lots of them out there in all shapes, sizes and conditions. Do not let craigslist and ebay sellers convince you that they are rare. They are not, but I have seen some ridiculous ads lately trying to sell them for hundreds of $$. Parts and service are still available all over the country from sewing repair shops. I bought a 1927 model 99 portable with the curved wooded case for $15. It needs work but will be a nice machine again if I ever get around to doing it.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
You might just get me to a quilting rally! What a wonderful idea! Of course I am limited due to the children's school schedule!

maybe even produce a quilt for charities...
I wonder if we can make our squares, one for each participant and one for the charity quilt while we wait for April then join or exchange them at the rally. I would love to go to the Paducah Quilt Show! I may have passed the general area and stopped at a museum of crafts once while traveling, nice exhibit. The biggest quilt show sounds like sensory overload and I will gladly jam all my circuits for the cause, ooooo!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Mrs. Silverhoot I love the Americana square and Kay I have been thinking about runners or wall hangings, even place mats. 58Flycloud i like the rag quilt. I don't think I have seen one like that it's great in the Airstream. How are the pieces joined? I just want to run my hand across it it looks so comfy!!! Bob thanks for posting your very ingenious project. It came out so cool, no one would ever guess there is a generator inside.

I carry a cutting mat which is padded for ironing on the reverse side and a portable iron too. The mat gets hung up against the wall in the closet. I carry a zippered craft binder with various supplies and my crochet and knitting needle sets.

I will try to post a few projects of mine to show soon. I love this thread! Oh a pun.

photography
Old 09-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Sensory overload is only the beginning. There is also wallet draining, sore feet and lots of drooling over things you can't afford. Start your training program now and bring your most comfortable shoes. It is a BIG show with LOTS of walking. If you want to take any of the classes (highly recommended!) sign up for them as soon as they open registration. They fill up fast. They are a little pricey ($80 for an all day workshop, about $50 for 1/2 day) but alot of fun and you get to use top of the line machines all day. Usually the class rooms are stocked with Bernina's, Pfaff's and Janome's. And they will try all day long to sell you that nice machine you are using. The deal is usually sweetened about every 2 hours, so if you are tempted, wait until the end of the day to commit. The only problem is that you don't know which machines are in the room until you get there, but if you can find out the instructors favorite brand, that is usually what is there. I am not in the market now since I just got my new Janome a few weeks ago, so I won't be tempted. The schedule and registration are usually open in mid December.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #28
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Too Many Machines???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
Sensory overload is only the beginning. There is also wallet draining, sore feet and lots of drooling over things you can't afford. Start your training program now and bring your most comfortable shoes. It is a BIG show with LOTS of walking.

I am not in the market now since I just got my new Janome a few weeks ago, so I won't be tempted.
First... sensory overload is wonderful if your at a Quilt Show. I just love walking through it all. However, this one sounds bigger than any I've been to before.

As for not being on the markets.... hmmm, is five too many machines to have?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #29
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quilt Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I wonder if we can make our squares, one for each participant and one for the charity quilt while we wait for April then join or exchange them at the rally.
I really like this idea. Anything goes design wise per square, or go for a definite design? Or mix of three?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
5 machines are not too many! (I have 6) and am willing to aquire a few more vintage ones if given the chance.

Now if I don't get off the 'puter none of them will get any attention today.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #31
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
5 machines are not too many! (I have 6) and am willing to aquire a few more vintage ones if given the chance.

Now if I don't get off the 'puter none of them will get any attention today.
I know the feeling! I have a powerful love of treadles... but for space and sanity's sake I have limited myself... not saying that I won't get more.. but I will consider selling one of the others... if positively forced to.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I have a 1926 Singer featherweight that has a special nook in the truck. It's my traveling machine. I use a Rowenta portable iron, a portable Omni folding cutting board and ironing surface which fits well on my stove top and sink. I prepare my project before I go so that I know I can sew comfortably in the Bambi. So much fun. I worked on my feathered star quilt in the Black Hills recently as I enjoyed the smell of the Ponderosa Pines.

We have stayed in the Duck Creek Campground in Paducah for the quilt show. Units are packed in there for the show but everyone is jolly. They run a shuttle back and forth to the convention center and have an open house for the quilters to get to know each other.

Here are some resources for featherweights:

English Hand Sewing Needles - Jean S. Lyle

Singer Featherweight Sewing Machines

Sew Rite - Home of the Singer Featherweight 221
I got my featherweight from Jim Sorrell at sew-rite. He is very knowledgeable and has given me wonderful service. He can answer any of your questions about featherweights. they are wonderful machines for piecing. The stitch they produce is just beautiful.

This is a great thread. Thanks to Silverhoot for starting.

I am up for a rally in Paducah. Nothing better for me than airstreams and quilting!

All the best,
Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
5 machines are not too much - I have 4 (hmmm, if sergers count...). I would love to do the Paducah Quilt Show, however, we can't rally yet - not WBCCI members due to not having a functional Airstream yet. Hubby says 2 more summers of work to get her functional again. Dang! I, too, have become Rosy the Riveter, Mrs. Silverhoot!
By the time we get to the rally point, you'll have the bugs worked out of this one, right?
I love all the stuff posted so far!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Minno, this is not a WBCCI event. It is an informal rally where anyone is welcome, trailer or not. If you do not have a functional camping unit there are plenty of hotels around, just book them soon as they fill quickly. There are also several cabins there. Last year since it was a girls only trip we stayed in a cabin at the Moor's resort.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
Hello, another quilter here. I've never quilted on the road as most of my stuff is machine pieced and we primarily boondock. I did once see a woman sitting at the CG picnic table running her sewing machine....with a generator powering it! I may have to copy the concept as we are going to Alaska next summer to pick up our caravanner and I plan to decorate its interior with Alaska-themed curtains, covers, comforters, etc.
I like the idea of a quilting bee rally. Anybody going to the Houston Quilt Show in November?
Paula
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I am a serious fan of linking the Airstream with quilting.

My wife is one of those folks who has to be busy - and when she isn't - well .... what can I say ..... my list gets longer ..... and life just ain't so rosy ....... even the dog hides ....

Long road trips (which I love) are deadly for her - quilting is our mutual salvation - without it we would never have pictures of anything farther away than pretty much a days drive from home .... better make that a 1/2 days drive .....

Obviously the Bambi is a bit challenged in the space department - but that seems OK - she does those little square things before they are knitted together into the big square thing - I know that sounds very technical - but whatever it is she does keeps her gainfully occupied - and the Bambi on the road ..... so what could be better than that? .....

Jay

(P.S. my wife has given me permission to print this post ....)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
This thread just begs the question:

Has anyone quilted an Airstream, quilted a cover for an Airstream, or made a quilt with Airstreams in the design?

Ken
My wife has made a flamingo quit for the Overlander.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flamingo_quilt_2.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	727.5 KB
ID:	110559   Click image for larger version

Name:	flamingo_quilt_5.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	110560  

WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Pretty, flamingos that's perfect, love the turquoise!

photography
Old 09-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #39
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Bad news for me and the Paducah Show. The kids spring break is a month too early for me to attend! Unless something changes....

I saw something about a Houston show??? Still interested in doing the charity quilt... if anyone is game!

As for a generator to run the sewing machine... how about the old hand crank portable machines. Although, I've only seen Singer models I am sure they weren't the only makers. Here is a link to one on EBAy:

*1933*SINGER HAND CRANK SEWING MACHINE*MODEL 99*SEWS VG - eBay (item 270630375998 end time Sep-12-10 19:11:29 PDT)

I know you can find them for cheaper than this. I found one someone was throwing out on the curb once. Also, the ones that have the old electric motors can probably be retro-fitted to be a hand crank too.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #40
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Love The Flamingos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander & Sea View Post
My wife has made a flamingo quit for the Overlander.
That's a really great quilt!

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
quilting