Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quilting and Airstreams

My wife has asked me to make the inquiry as to whether there are any quilters that Airstream. We are renovating our 67 Tradewind and would like to incorporate any ideas other quilters have for sewing while on the road.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Tell your wife other women Airstreamers would love to have her post and talk with us. I have a portable Jenome for quilting that I carry in the arm storage of the Airstream couch and I frequent quilt shops that we encounter and usually pick up patterns and materials and at least start the process of cutting out the pieces on the road if but for nothing else, because of a hectic traveling and exploring schedule. But it's always on my to do list... Ask you wife if she thinks a womens's caravan to wine, cheese, and amish quilts would interest her. I wonder if a quilting rally could render unique squares and fellowship and make a friendship quilt of airstreamers from all over.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
SilverHoot..........When we renovated our 62 Bambi, quilting became an important part of our makeover. Take a look......click on the "Images 8" in our Profile on the left side of this page.
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
When my wife awakes I'll have her post here. My wife has a portable machine also, I think it is called Gem or is it Jem?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Too bad we are leaving this am for a 5 day trip w/o internet service, this is going to be a fun thread to follow. I love to quilt, sew, craft and anything considered artsy.
Have a good week all.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Mrs Silverhoot here! I had heard that ladies took their machines and quilted along the way, however i had been thinking with the list of things my husband says "we'll" be doing, how would I find the time and also where would I put my "things" - I am sure he'll make sure there is a place for some tools, cutting mat and my machine. I have a Janome Jem for travel and hope to put it to the test soon (if he ever finishes this renovation) - I could do a wine, cheese and starting an amish quilt! This new venture in life is going to be a blast! I cannot wait!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'm a quilter also. We've incorporated an extra outlet into the trailer as we wire specifically so I can sew while were on trips. I'm going to make sure we have some storage for my machine and sewing materials (probably under the bed). It'll be like a quilt retreat, only longer! (anyway that's what I'm hoping!). Now if I could just figure out a way to bring my queen sized quilters frame along....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I forgot to say that I'm planning on using batiks in dark blue for window treatments when we get to that point of decorating (probably a couple of years away!), to go with the quilt top I've pieced for our bed (yet to be quilted - it's a ways down in the que). I posted the quilt top in our Little Girl Refurb thread last fall. I'm looking now for where to get paint - oil based isn't real easy to find. I'm going to paint the trailer light blue inside, something on the order of a light sky blue. Haven't gotten any further in the planning yet...

Kay
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
I take small projects. The biggest thing I've sewn on the road was a table runner. I take one of the backup machines with me and it rides in the truck. I just think it's more secure there and I don't have to worry about it bouncing around.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Anyone going to the Paducah quilt show next April? I have gone the last 2 years and it is great! Plenty of campgrounds around there. Do I hear quilt show rally?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
So, what do you all use for travel for a sewing machine? Seems like I'm hearing that I may need to add to my "tools" in order to travel and quilt in style! My current machine is a Brother Quilters Dream, so it's kinda big and heavy. I do love it, but if there's something really good in a smaller model that won't cost more than the house, I'd love to hear about it!

Kay
Old 09-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
This thread just begs the question:

Has anyone quilted an Airstream, quilted a cover for an Airstream, or made a quilt with Airstreams in the design?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Mrs. Silverhoot. me too! I have a Janome 639 that I bought for portability for class at the fabric shop years ago and just bought the case from E-Bay a couple of weeks ago. For those that aren't familiar with it it is a small portable with great features and a handle to make it easy to move around. I actually like it more than my bigger machine in the house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jem-639.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	110497 
Name:   tote.jpg
Views: 2859
Size:  17.0 KB

62Bam I love your log cabin squares. It really makes a great looking couch the way you have incorporated the quilting into the Bambi.

I saw a door banner or flag, I think in one of Silver Gate's posts and that is a project I might like to tackle. I know Lou (loudruff) makes flags and banners as well. So many of these projects enhance our Airstreams, I hardly know where to start, but there was a Welcome to the Shore project I was going to make for the door or hang near the door and make it welcome to the Door (Door County WI) because that is where we were spending the summer at the time. It was applique with the lighthouse and water and birds and sun, then patchwork border. I barely scratched the surface of that project. Oh but I love browsing quilts and quilt shops!

Mcair I might be able to do a quilt show rally next April if I plan in advance for it. Sounds fun.

Kay your decorating sounds like its going to be gorgeous. I will have to look at the Little Girl Refurb thread, that does sound familiar.

Someone made a generator cover that looked like an Airstream hassock, (Robertsunrus?) But I haven't seen any Airstream quilts yet.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Singer 221 Featherweight

One GREAT quilter's machine is a classic is the Singer 221 Featherweight - manufactured from the 1930's through 1950's. It has an aluminum head - and real metal gears... Check ebay. These things can sell for $500. They are collectors items, so if you find one in Aunt Emily's closet cherish it! If you find one of the ever rarer 222 free arm models... you'll be really lucky.

For you husbands of quilters - I have found a couple of Featherweights at yard sales, in junk shops, etc. Finding one of these for $10 to $30 is like finding that gem vintage Airstream in a barn for $300! If you want to make your quilter a special Birthday or Christmas present find one of these for her! Parts and service can still be had at most sewing machine stores. This machine only sews straight stitch, but it's so stong for it's size you can sew through leather.

------ Second favorite machine?

The Janome Jem is a good little machine for quilting and general use in an Airstream as well as for quilting. It's a great starter machine for someone who just wants to learn sewing because it does only the basic stitches and you can catch it for sale - sometimes for around $50. It's not a toy, but it's a good gift for a child who is interested in sewing. It does have the nylon gears and plastic case so it's actually lighter than the Singer featherweight - which isn't entirely good beause it will slide on some surfaces while you're trying to use it. A piece of that foamy drawer liner stuff we all use to protect our dishes works great to hold it in place though.

It is good for piecing small work, but because of the small table / arm length, and the small motor it isn't suitable for big heavy stuff.... (GUYS NO you can't restitch the awning on this machine!).

I store mine in a craft bag under the bed.

Paula
Old 09-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
newly aluminated

1958 22' Flying Cloud
issaquah , Washington
rag quilt

made this rag quilt a few weeks ago, and 7 pillows for our 58 flying cloud. next i will make some for the 57 shasta
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sept1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	110500   Click image for larger version

Name:	sept5.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	110501  

Name:	DSC09063.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	110502  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
58flycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post

Someone made a generator cover that looked like an Airstream hassock, (Robertsunrus?) But I haven't seen any Airstream quilts yet.
Hi, I don't know anything about making quilts; can my old regular sewing machine make them? I will show you some pictures of my Airstream foot stool / generator cover if you post some quilt pictures, done or not.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Too Cute!

The genset cover is adorable.

Regarding some of the other questions- I carry a Kenmore Mini- Ultra 3/4 machine. It is very similar to the Jem machine. Been very happy with it. Lighter and easier to store than my full sized sewing machine and a real workhorse. Sells for less than $100 and can catch it on sale for $50.

I keep my large cutting mat under the mattress of my bed. My large mat fits on the large foldout table in the living area perfectly. Makes pattern cutting alot easier than crawling around on the floor.

I also found a nifty fabric Household Essentials "sewing center" on Amazon for $20. Jo-ann's also stocks them. It is great to set my machine on and has pockets that hold scissors,etc. The padded surface is great for pressing seams. Folds and stores in my sewing bag when not in use.

The Rowenta 1000 watt compact iron is great. Heats and presses as well as a full sized iron.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
My current backup machine is a Babylock Quilters Choice2. It is OK but bigger than what I really want in a travel machine. I am looking at the Janome jem to travel with. My main machine is a Janome 7700 Horizon. LOVE it! but it is way to big to travel with or worry about it being damaged. I am in the process of re-doing our trailer. I have all new curtains made for the front area and am now starting to tackle covering the gaucho. Hubby replaced the ugly carpet with vinyl.
The bedroom is bare right now since I took the old curtains down. I am still undecided as to what to replace everything with. By spring, if all goes well there will be new curtains, quilts and pillows. Just have to find the perfect fabrics.

I have gone to Paducah the last 2 years. It is one of the largest quilt shows in the country. Lots to see (and to buy!) and to learn. The first year I took some hands on classes and loved them. Last year hubby stayed home and it was a girls trip. We stayed at a cabin on Kentucky lake. No stream because I am not yet ready to pull it by myself. Hubby thinks he wants to go again next year so we could easily have a rally. There are 2 parks in town that are even on the AQS bus route, but they both require a weeks stay. We usually just go thurs - sun so that doesn't work as well for us. But there are state parks in both Kentucky and Illinois that are close enough, a few nice COE's on the lake and a KOA, so there is alot to pick from within a 30 minute drive to the show. There is also a large quilt museum and art district in Paducah so there really is alot to do.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Mrs. Silverhoot. me too! I have a Janome 639 that I bought for portability for class at the fabric shop years ago and just bought the case from E-Bay a couple of weeks ago. For those that aren't familiar with it it is a small portable with great features and a handle to make it easy to move around. I actually like it more than my bigger machine in the house.

Attachment 110497 Attachment 110498

62Bam I love your log cabin squares. It really makes a great looking couch the way you have incorporated the quilting into the Bambi.

I saw a door banner or flag, I think in one of Silver Gate's posts and that is a project I might like to tackle. I know Lou (loudruff) makes flags and banners as well. So many of these projects enhance our Airstreams, I hardly know where to start, but there was a Welcome to the Shore project I was going to make for the door or hang near the door and make it welcome to the Door (Door County WI) because that is where we were spending the summer at the time. It was applique with the lighthouse and water and birds and sun, then patchwork border. I barely scratched the surface of that project. Oh but I love browsing quilts and quilt shops!

Mcair I might be able to do a quilt show rally next April if I plan in advance for it. Sounds fun.

Kay your decorating sounds like its going to be gorgeous. I will have to look at the Little Girl Refurb thread, that does sound familiar.

I have the same bag!! I purchased my JEM pretty much for the same reason as you did. I love it and it is great when the grandkids visit! Speaking of flags and banners, I just finished this. I made a friend of mine one of these a year ago and loved it so decided to make another one for us. Our Airstream isn't ready for "travel" yet but it will be next summer (geez, I hope) and so now, I spend my time working, bucking rivets and quilting! My next project are matching quilts for the Airstream, in retro!!

Back to quilting...Have a great day and I am looking forward to meeting all you quilters in the Airstream world!

Mrs. Silverhoot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4378.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	110528  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #20
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Caravan Of Quilts

Quote:
Ask you wife if she thinks a womens's caravan to wine, cheese, and amish quilts would interest her. I wonder if a quilting rally could render unique squares and fellowship and make a friendship quilt of airstreamers from all over.

You might just get me to a quilting rally! What a wonderful idea! Of course I am limited due to the children's school schedule!

maybe even produce a quilt for charities...

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quilting