Old 09-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #85
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Sorry My mother traded hers for a lighter weight machine. The 306 could be bought in a hard side case and was "portable" but it was a hernia getting ready to happen. She didn't ask me in advance if I wanted it. I would have cheerfully given her more than they offered in trade. If you're not going to bid, perhaps I will.

Paula
Would love to bid on it but right now we are saving up for the new fridge for the AS. I will be keeping it in mind because I honestly do want a work horse that's a less frustrating machine!

So I'll say

"Thank you so much Paula for giving me a good option for my work horse!"

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #86
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood View Post
If anyone does want to do a set of blocks to share with others let me know. I have done other quilt swaps before and really enjoyed getting blocks from other quilters from different areas and seeing them all made up in different ways.

Steve's Wife Amber
Amber,
I am very interested in this. I hope we can get enough interest.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Amber,
I am very interested in this. I hope we can get enough interest.
Me too. Maybe Amber can tell us how we go about this. Is there a theme we should follow or a particular scale, applique or patchwork? I have never been a part of something like this but it seems like it would be a lot of fun. Would we be doing scenes or our Airstream or camping or RVing motifs?

I am really impressed with all the experience and expertise here. I am a novice by all accounts, think folk art and rudimentary renderings and basic skill levels.

These project pictures are so cool. Keep the pictures coming everyone. I love it. I enjoy pattern books and all the various designs and quilts. It's always nice to see the work others have done. Sewing or quilting seems to bring women together for more than material and stitches... it's a nice dynamic.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
I pretty muched stopped sewing for my DD after puberty. I can tweak a standard pattern for a good fit, but her needs were out of my skill level. She is not heavy and that is one of the problems. Women's clothing is not made for someone with a large bust and small everywhere else.

Books and DVDs are pretty much my main option since I drive longhaul. Wish I could find a one or two week class being offered on bra and lingerie making. It would be worth spending my hometime on.

I would certainly benefit from a class to learn how to fit a bra. DD most certainly did not get her well endowed bustline from me. My method of fitting a bra for myself has been to hold one cup over one boob and throw it in the cart if it looked like a good fit.

Happy trails,

'shaker
Large bust modification - or large ANYTHING modification. Most people make the mistake of expanding patterns SIDEWAYS to accommodate large bust hips or buttocks, but that is a one dimensional fix for a three dimensional problem. If you are large to super large, darts are the only solution. A tape measure and cheap unbleached muslin are your best methods to learn the large bust mod.
  • If you are big busted the measurement from your underarm to your waist isn't bigger than a normal persons, but the difference from your mid shoulder across the nipple of your bust and down to your waist is - by 3 to 12 inches, Next measure from the side seam in the underarm across the nipple to the centerline of your body.
  • the side to side measurement from your underarm to your midine across the nipple is also MUCH bigger than a B cupper's size.
  • For any shirt or dress the solution is to chop the front top piece in quarters with both the horizontal and verticle cuts going directly through the spot where the nipple would be (wearing a bra).
  • Measure the pattern - mid shoulder to waist - subtract that from the actual big busted persons length - that's how many inches top to bottom you'll have to add to the pattern.
  • Measure the pattern - horizontally across the bustline to the centerline of the body - suptract that from your actual measurement - that's how much wider the front piece has to be...
So next you ask... well how do I get this giant front piece to fit to the back piece - DARTS at the side, at the top and at the waist. AND by cleverly re setting of the pieces of the pattern. For instance the two pieces that were cut apart vertically can be scooted together at the waist and mid shoulder leaving a wide gap at mid-bust - then only a dart on the side is needed to reduce the side seam to the same length as the back piece. Of course if the front buttons, all of the button locations will have to be adjusted. In some cases you may also want (or need) to do gathers in the front top at the seam, and put a dart at the waist.

The muslin? Make a trial top. If it's still too tight, slash it and sew in pieces until it fits correctly, then you take that apart and make a finished muslin pattern! for future use.

If you'd like to envision this without a model, cut a back piece and a front piece, then put the back piece on the table, and put a funnel on top of it where the breast would be located, now snip the top piece top to bottom, from the CENTER to within 1/2 inch of the top - and in the other direction, from the center to within one inch of the bottom, again cut from the center sideways to within an inch of the side and center seams. Put the piece over the funnel and pin to the back piece. See where you're missing fabric? Fill in the pieces and you have an adusted top.

paula
Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Paula, you are purely amazing for your insight that transfers a confusing complex project into something simple and understandable in comparison. I wish we could have a big sewing rally with you as chief instructor/problem solver. I'd love to sit with my machine and fellow seamstresses/quilters and sew the days away. As for "camping" fabric for possible projects, have any you seen Moda's "Happy Campers" line of fabric designs? Early this summer I purchased several small square packs of the HC line, thinking I'd do a disappearing nine patch throw for my daughter who bought her first camper, a Coleman pop up this winter. Just the other day, I saw another piece in the line, a panel of about nine "pictures" framed in "stick frames" and bordered all around with a red plaid. The "pictures" look like '40's, reminiscent of my own family pictures of that vintage. This line is colorful, vintage-looking, fun. I plan to do some winter sewing/quilting with it to get ready for spring camping. Maybe some of you will like it to. It's not detailed design piecing, but easy, quick, and fits the camping theme with our Airstream/Argosies. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #90
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
As for "camping" fabric for possible projects, have any you seen Moda's "Happy Campers" line of fabric designs?
I love that fabric line. I really wanted to do something with it when it first came out but had too many projects going at the time. My local shop doesn't have any of the precuts left. However, it might still be available online for purchase. Possibly off the bolt as well (off the bolt around here usually costs about $8 per yard.)

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Below is a thread that references some helpful links to some really neat fabrics. I found there are fabric vendors on Ebay who sell these special fabrics and you can bid your "best offer" and may just get them for a reasonable price.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ges-67853.html
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Re: tweaking patterns
Sometimes you wind up using a smaller size pattern piece for the back than you do for the front. Of course you ned to make sure to lengthen the smaller one so your sides match up. I've seen several people do this and it works great for them.
I love to make clothes for me because I am different sizes on top and bottom and it is easy to make a dress bodice one size and then curve out to a bigger size for the bottom. Custom fit that you won't get from any RTW garment. I am excited to see other garment sewers here. I enjoy the quilting, but garments are my first love. I think I enjoy the challenge more.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
And for all of you garment ladies, there lot's more patterns out there than the big 4 (simplicity, butterick, mccalls.vogue) that you get at Joanns. I am a huge fan of Burda (german, but available in english) and there are several small pattern companies that are not too well known. Much more fashionable and better fitting than the big 4. Love, love burda's pants!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Capitan , New Mexico
Love the idea and hope to follow this quilter

I would love to follow and see the type of quilting that all of you do. I am making yo-yo's for a jacket that promotes our University of Iowa team. Someday we will move to NM so I'll have to add some other colors. I got my material at Walmart with the logos on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
My wife has asked me to make the inquiry as to whether there are any quilters that Airstream. We are renovating our 67 Tradewind and would like to incorporate any ideas other quilters have for sewing while on the road.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Capitan , New Mexico
Please keep me posted on your quilting project.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

The Snail Trail

This is what my wife came up with....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1237.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	110780  
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Look at that Snail's Trail...leading my mind to all kinds of meanders with the Airstream in the center! Wonderful design ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One more simple thing

The best $10 I ever spent on anything for sewing was a "walking foot".

When you're sewing a seam - particularly on the bias or using a slippery fabric, or if your presser foot is pressing too hard, the bottom layer tends to be gathered by the feed dogs while the top layer tends to stretch. Hellish if you're trying to match plaids... but still makes for a puckered mess even on a more forgiving seam. The walking foot varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it causes the top layer to move in concert with the bottom one. Some are basically roller bearings, some are spring loaded rollers. I've never bought a machine where one was an included accessory.

Of course you can save $10 and baste those seams by hand. Forever!

If you are using a serger, the differential feed adjustment can overcome this tendency... however for max control and detail work, the conventional machine is far better. Sergers are great for high speed work. Even for piecing simple quilts.

Paula

Tags
quilting