Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Marsha,

Since, we have a Bambi, I have to minimize everything. I have an Omnigrid fold away cut and press mat and have seen some mats that flip from cutting to pressing--June Tailor made, I think. My mat fits well on my stove top and sink. I use a plastic box with a secure lid for my sewing stuff. I just think everything through in terms of what I want to accomplish on the trip and pack accordingly. But I always have the mat, portable iron, and a folding Ott light with my Featherweight.

I am looking at the Sew-Ezi table SewEzi USA-Home. Have any of you had experience with this product? I have seen it at quilt shows and like it very much.

Caryl

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Caryl/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Old 09-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #72
newly aluminated

1958 22' Flying Cloud
issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
58Flycloud i like the rag quilt. I don't think I have seen one like that it's great in the Airstream. How are the pieces joined? I just want to run my hand across it it looks so comfy!!!
hello wheel interested -- i appreciate your comment

the rag quilt is very easy to make (check it online for more detailed instructions)... if you want/need backing, it is sewn to your front square prior to sewing them all together. i also secured some of the pieces by stitching around the edges, i.e. 1/2" away from the edge, if the fabric unravels easily. i simply made strips of the squares and sewed them together, not too concerned about matching corners, since the unraveled fabric hides them. important: wash the quilt after sewn together and cut off all the excess threads, there will be a huge tangle! it's like giving the quilt a haircut! LOL

with all the sleek lines of the airstream, i did go for the ragged look on purpose - but it's also the easiest

sabine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
58flycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #73
newly aluminated

1958 22' Flying Cloud
issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
I just saw this thread and wanted to post a pic of the twin quilts I just finished this weekend for our Airstream:
nice quilts !! perfect homey look. i think i will do something like your pillow cases for the shasta - thanks for posting the photo.

sabine
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
58flycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
I will not argue with you on that statement, even agree with you on it and possibly give you proof of it. However, I keep my 9410 Singer from 1999.

Now, I am in no way claiming it is a good machine but she serves a purpose. Yes, she has many unflattering names and my husband knows exactly when I am using her. I will also be keeping the presser foot department in business as the horizontal post that holds the foot to the shank keeps rattling out. However, when I am afraid a fabric is too rough or the project too large for my treadles or featherweight I use it. She takes a licking and so far she's still ticking.. even when I went 10 years with intermediate use without servicing her. So I guess I'm saying even the not so great ones have a use...from time to time. Just don't ask too much of it...

Now that I think about it.. she might be why I went for vintage and antique instead of modern when I purchase "new" machines....hmmm.
I found you a new machine to replace the 9410.
If you want a machine to truly drool for - this is about the last GREAT
Singer built. I know. My mom had one. They went to the slant needle after the 300 series. Most of the slants were actually pretty good up through the 600's. The death knell? "Singer Touch and Sew" and later.

If you're starting a sweat shop in a garage, this is the one you want. It'll sew Sunbrella. You'll toss your new Singer out of a third story window a week after you get this one. Oh, BTW it will need to buy some separate cams to do all of the fancy stitches - and this model uses the "FLAT Cam" style - nice feature is it's front mounted, not inside the top like the later ones with the raised centers. There are bunches of flat cams on ebay all the time.

SINGER 306K INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH SEWING MACHINE LEATHER - eBay (item 270632263148 end time Sep-14-10 10:22:48 PDT)

There was also a 1948 "15" model that would be GREAT for anyone into making Awnings. Only does Straight stitch though.

Paula
Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
I am looking at the Sew-Ezi table SewEzi USA-Home. Have any of you had experience with this product? I have seen it at quilt shows and like it very much.

Caryl
Nice table, but $249? The custom surround for the machine makes sense though, however the depth of the inset for the machine would probably be too deep for a featherweight... unless they adjust that too. Did you know Singer actually MADE a table for the featherweight. Looks like a card table, and with the machine out has a piece that fills in so that it can be used as one. Here's just one of several on ebay. Can't you just see this under your awning? (Make a plastic cover for it, it's real wood.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Table-Singer-Fea...item4aa494b57a

Paula
Old 09-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
I have the table for my janome 7700. I love it but it's never going to leave my basement. Perfect for the machine but too bulky to carry around. I wish they made a mini version of the 7700. It's an awesome machine but way to big to travel with.

I have experimented with bra making. Kwik Sew has several bra patterns available. They can be found at Hancocks. The materials can be ordered from www.sewsassy.com and really aren't that expensive. The original idea was to make some for the daughters who need sizes that you cannot buy at Kmart. Neither of them liked it. they are perfectly happy with the $$$ ones ordered from Dillard's. I made a couple and never finished tweaking the fit enough to like them then lost interest because I can buy mine anywhere at a reasonable price. They were not hard to make and it wasn't a problem doing the 1/4" seams.

Time to make dinner, then I will post a picture of the fleece blanket I have been working on today. We make them for cancer patients and they have several embroidered scriptures on them. The recipients have liked them so much that now we need to make more. One lady's family just donated money to buy more fleece.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #77
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Why Didn't You Tell Me this BEFORE the Gauchos Were done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I found you a new machine to replace the 9410.
If you want a machine to truly drool for - this is about the last GREAT
Singer built. I know. My mom had one. They went to the slant needle after the 300 series. Most of the slants were actually pretty good up through the 600's. The death knell? "Singer Touch and Sew" and later.

If you're starting a sweat shop in a garage, this is the one you want. It'll sew Sunbrella. You'll toss your new Singer out of a third story window a week after you get this one. Oh, BTW it will need to buy some separate cams to do all of the fancy stitches - and this model uses the "FLAT Cam" style - nice feature is it's front mounted, not inside the top like the later ones with the raised centers. There are bunches of flat cams on ebay all the time.

SINGER 306K INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH SEWING MACHINE LEATHER - eBay (item 270632263148 end time Sep-14-10 10:22:48 PDT)

There was also a 1948 "15" model that would be GREAT for anyone into making Awnings. Only does Straight stitch though.

Paula
Hey Paula,
You've just crushed my poor broken spirit. I could have used that machine BEFORE I sewed the two Gaucho covers and saved myself a trip to perdition. Do you have any idea how much I fought that 9410 sewing my covers? Did I mention that the 9410 can't wind a bobbin?

As for the 1948 Model "15", I personally have a 20's model 15 treadle and there isn't much that machine won't sew. However being a treadle and having antique decals in good condition prevents me from using it with the heavier fabrics.
Nicki

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #78
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Drowning In Drool!

You are just killing me today!! Do you want me to drown myself in a river of drool over here? I've not seen one of those that cheap EVER! Wonder what it will actually go for...

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Pictures

This one is almost done. Just some more snipping to do. You can see that the fringing is not complete yet. We would like to get these done faster, but are facing a shortage of embroidery machines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	110724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	110725  

Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Nice table, but $249? The custom surround for the machine makes sense though, however the depth of the inset for the machine would probably be too deep for a featherweight... unless they adjust that too. Did you know Singer actually MADE a table for the featherweight. Looks like a card table, and with the machine out has a piece that fills in so that it can be used as one. Here's just one of several on ebay. Can't you just see this under your awning? (Make a plastic cover for it, it's real wood.)

Table For Singer Featherweight 221 Sewing Machine NR - eBay (item 320588789114 end time Sep-17-10 19:16:56 PDT)

Paula

Paula,

Glad you mentioned the featherweight table. I was so lucky. Walking my dog in the alley one evening, I found one of the original featherweight wooden tables and garbage picked it up and took it home. FREE. Refinished it and use it regularly. I talked to my neighbor who threw it out to see if he still had the machine, but, no luck. It is surely nifty and sturdy as a rock. If my AS were bigger, I could used the featherweight table inside. Hey, wait a minute--a bigger Airstream. What a concept!! I would love to use it outside the AS under the awning, but the table is bulky to transport and can get easily scratched up.

I haven't bought the Sew-ezi table because of the price, as you noted, and because I have the featherweight table. Hard to justify the expense. Sew-ezi can make an insert for the featherweight and, I believe that lower shelf is adjustable. I could also have an insert for my Bernina. They pretty much thought of everything. Once, I did take the old featherweight table to a workshop and it worked well except for the lugging up and down the stairs. The Sew-ezi tables have clever wheels and are easy to transport and are compact enough to travel with. Probably not for the interior of my Bambi--that would be tight. My sewing room is in a dingy basement at home and with the Sew-ezi table, I could bring projects to the den from time to time so I could see the light of day. It is more compact than the featherweight table.

At any rate, because of my arthritic back and shoulders, having a sewing machine dropped into a table really helps and keeps me at it. And I really love the featherweight table.

Maybe you can tell--I love sewing gadgets almost as much as I love gadgets for my Airstream.

All the best,
Caryl
Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Quilting? Did someone say quilting?

I've been sewing from my airstream for well over a year... I have a smaller Janome unit for the AS, plus I have my big Janome 7700 (love it!) for home. I keep the small janome inside my nightstand in a quilted "bag". It fits so perfectly in there. I also keep a large pressing board* in the closet/wardrobe along with my cutting mats and rulers. My notions box goes under my bed.

Yep, I've been seen sewing on a picnic table The dinette is my sewing spot when I can't be outside.

*Pressing board = 1/4" MDF (24x36), covered with an "envelope" made of old bath towels and then a cute retro print cotton envelope cover.

/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quilt while in my AS? I never even thought of it before. Although thanx ladies because now I am think I might be able to get Steve to buy me another machine, as the other machines I want would get a "You could buy an Airstream for that much money!"
Mostly my sewing skills went to making slipcovers and curtains for the Airstream. I think making an airstream quilt would be easy esp if you paper piece it. I'd would sign up for a quilt block swap and love making one for a charity auction. As for rallying I'd love to but we are trailerless waiting to find our next Airstream.
If anyone does want to do a set of blocks to share with others let me know. I have done other quilt swaps before and really enjoyed getting blocks from other quilters from different areas and seeing them all made up in different ways.

Steve's Wife Amber
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Hey Paula,
You've just crushed my poor broken spirit. I could have used that machine BEFORE I sewed the two Gaucho covers and saved myself a trip to perdition. Do you have any idea how much I fought that 9410 sewing my covers? Did I mention that the 9410 can't wind a bobbin?

As for the 1948 Model "15", I personally have a 20's model 15 treadle and there isn't much that machine won't sew. However being a treadle and having antique decals in good condition prevents me from using it with the heavier fabrics.
Nicki
Sorry My mother traded hers for a lighter weight machine. The 306 could be bought in a hard side case and was "portable" but it was a hernia getting ready to happen. She didn't ask me in advance if I wanted it. I would have cheerfully given her more than they offered in trade. If you're not going to bid, perhaps I will.

Paula
Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
[QUOTE=Foiled Again;894214]My mother caught me trying to use her machine when I was three. She decided to teach me rather than wait to find me howling with a needle through my pinkie. I think I LIVED at the Singer Sewing Center through elementary school. The owner, a relative of some kind, let me use ANY machine, (I was his "how hard can it be if a seven year old can do it?" model.)

Narrow seams - get a machine with a speed governor on it. Sew on SLOW. Also many machines have a seam guide that screws into the bed to keep you straight. If yours doesn't, a piece of colored tape marking the seam allowance distance from the needle can help you go straighter.

Anyone can learn anything if they are willing to put in the time and patience. What you want to do will take both. If you intend to use stretch fabrics a serger is almost a must. That sentence will cause instant consternation from many people - but remember - Scarlett O'hara wore supportive undergarments LONG before elastic was invented.

There are quite a few people today who are allergic to latex who must wear 100% fabric bras. If you can remember the 1950's some of those were still pretty common. In SOME respects those could actually be more comfortable than the spandex ones of today. If you're carrying an extra few pounds, spandex loves to create grooves in your softer spots - and most of todays bras either have NO underwire, or ONE under the cup underwire or ONE stay where the side piece meets the cup. That little sucker will stab you at both ends. Back in the day, most bras for large busted women had a series of vertical side stays, put in like fence posts about an inch apart, from the side of the cup well back under the arm. It kept the fabric from rolling, and gave support without that one little spear jabbing you.

All "C" and up ladies should treat themselves to a trip to a high end fitter at least once. Extra stays can be added to off the shelf bras and many like them better that way. It's a do-it-yourself project if you can thread "wooly nylon" on your standard machine and get the proper bias tape to encase the stay. (Try on an old bra first.)

So: Down to specifics. Take a sewing class in sewing with stretch fabric. The LARGE JoAnne and Hancock stores often run those. There are also some very nice independent stores out there, but check for longevity and reputation of their classes. You can find some very good DVD training too, but when things go wrong an instructor can get you back on track a lot quicker than a DVD. The real benefit of taking a class IN STORE is that you can use the higher end machines like the Pfaff and Elnas and Husqueveras??? sp?. (Then find a used one on the internet.) Instructors will show you less expensive ones too if the top models are just out of your range. You'll get to know what works and what won't by taking the class.

IMHO, nothing Singer has built since the late 60's is worth a darn. Also don't touch anything you can get at WalMart - they may have a known manufacturer's name, but they are a cheaper version.

Virtually all machines are now manufactured in Asia - even the Janomes. However there is decent Asian stuff and Asian crap. Mid-level Janomes tend to be very good machines, both the regular and sergers. I can't speak for the high end embroidery ones though.

Now about those narrow seams. Most seams are trimmed back during or after sewing. Sergers all have cutters that snip the fabric back to the stitch line just before needles. Other seams are oversewn. Get a piece of scrap fabric and I'll teach you two techniques.

FLAT FELD SEAMS - sew your plain old 5/8" seam. Press open. On the inside trim back one seam allowance to a bit less than 1/4" inch. Use small scissors to make it easier. On the other side fold over the seam and press in half parallel to the stitching. Fold that over the raw trimmed seam. Press flat. Run a second line of stitching down the folded side about 1/16" from the fold. TA DA.

Now for a blue jean seam, run another line of stitching 1/16" inch from the first seam.

Another Variation on that is to triple fold the uncut seam allowance and instead of sewing through the front of the fabric actually fold that piece around the trimmed side and sew down the edge just behind the main seam going only through the folded allowance and the trimmed one inside.

FRENCH SEAM - If you ever sew anything that loves to ravel, a serger solves that problem, but if you want to make your seam look very elegant, especially on something that's a bit see-through - there's a very simple way to do it. Cut your pieces as normal. Put them together RIGHT SIDE OUT, sew the seam with 1/4" or less, Fold the pieces inside out, and press flat at the seam. Sew the real seam at 3/8". This encases the raw edges inside the seam. (GREAT for scratchy stiff stuff like Taffeta.)

So. Bras are all detail work, even the "over the shoulder boulder holders". Some machines have a speed limiter (great for kids learning to sew) and very good for this kind of work. Look for that feature and for anything especially designed for stretch fabric.

And DO look up "large cup size bras" on the internet. You may find you CAN get something ready made for your relatives. (Of course the ungrateful wenches will probably have reduction surgery about a month after you master how to make their garments!)

Paula,

Thank you for all the tips. I will try them out.

I pretty muched stopped sewing for my DD after puberty. I can tweak a standard pattern for a good fit, but her needs were out of my skill level. She is not heavy and that is one of the problems. Women's clothing is not made for someone with a large bust and small everywhere else.

Books and DVDs are pretty much my main option since I drive longhaul. Wish I could find a one or two week class being offered on bra and lingerie making. It would be worth spending my hometime on.

I would certainly benefit from a class to learn how to fit a bra. DD most certainly did not get her well endowed bustline from me. My method of fitting a bra for myself has been to hold one cup over one boob and throw it in the cart if it looked like a good fit.

Happy trails,

'shaker

fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quilting