Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #743
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Be careful with quilting: it's just as addicting as aluminitis! Connecting Threads website has some easy quilts on it, and you can download the pattern for a minimal price in just a few minutes. Costs usually about $6.95 or so for patterns. I've done it and it works very well. There are some good quilting magazines at JoAnn Fabrics that have easy patterns in them too, for a few dollars and a few minutes of searching.
If you're not going to put batting in it, you probably don't even need to tie it. If you wanted, you could put an old or cheap new blanket in as batting and tie it. You wouldn't have to worry about the batting pulling apart that way and could tie it in whatever pattern you chose.
Love the airstream fabric with the elephants! Where did you find that?

Kay

Old 01-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #744
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Be careful with quilting: it's just as addicting as aluminitis! Connecting Threads website has some easy quilts on it, and you can download the pattern for a minimal price in just a few minutes. Costs usually about $6.95 or so for patterns. I've done it and it works very well. There are some good quilting magazines at JoAnn Fabrics that have easy patterns in them too, for a few dollars and a few minutes of searching.
If you're not going to put batting in it, you probably don't even need to tie it. If you wanted, you could put an old or cheap new blanket in as batting and tie it. You wouldn't have to worry about the batting pulling apart that way and could tie it in whatever pattern you chose.
Love the airstream fabric with the elephants! Where did you find that?

Kay
Thanks Kay!!

I dreamt about quilting last night! Oh, boy!!
I will check out connecting threads!

I 'designed' the elephant fabric and had it made at spoonflower.com - neat website!

What do you think with our MN weather spring through fall - batting or not?

:-)
Mary

Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #745
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Westfield , Indiana
Love your fabric choices! How fun and a great beginner project. I like your idea of using flannel for backing and no batting and then tying it. I think you'll have a great time making these! Enjouy!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #746
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Westfield , Indiana
enjoy! (sorry)
Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #747
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'd put batting, but that's just freeze baby me.
Lets see: you design fabric but don't quilt. I quilt but don't design fabric. Maybe we should get together!

Kay
Old 01-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #748
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
I'd put batting, but that's just freeze baby me.
Lets see: you design fabric but don't quilt. I quilt but don't design fabric. Maybe we should get together!

Kay
I am a freeze baby too!! But a little intimidated by the quilting sandwich! :-)
I can't wait to get the fabrics so I can start playing around.

Check out spoonflower - you can upload pictures of drawings or buy fabrics that others have designed.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #749
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
WOW!!! That is quite the website! And they have AIRSTREAMS! First time I've ever seen them like that. Fabric is $17.50/yd, so pricey, but worth it for certain things. I definitely bookmarked that one!

Kay
Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #750
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I've debated all day about putting in my two cents worth. Well here goes.....
I very much prefer hand to machine in the form of the quilting. I piece by machine but I want to sleep under hand quilted or hand-tied. Machine quilted lays away for your body. It doesn't hug my lumpy body as I like. I have seen beautiful machine quilting and I think it is great for making a crisp bed spread. I make custom draperies and bedding. The decision is a matter of what you want your outcome to be. With your design talent if you want your quilt to really show your beautiful fabric the machine quilting would be best. I want my quilt to hug my body and be placed under the spread. I have fabric machine quilting when for a spread. Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #751
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Samyjam

Another quilter chiming in with an opinion. I would use batting, my favorite is "Warm and natural" it's a thin cotton batting that is not puffy, it adds a nice drape to a quilt.

If the quilt sandwich is scaring you, there is a method where you quilt as you go. The backing fabric and the batting can be spray basted together and treated as one layer. Then you do the vertical blocks in a long stripe . I tried to find a tutorial but the closest I find was this YouTube .

How to quilt as you go | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials

Of course your strips of fabric would already be pieced.

The nice thing about this method is that you only have to worry about the current vertical section you are working on being straight and wrinkle free. Each section will take care of itself as you go. At the end you'll probably want to add some horizontal stitching too but at that point the quilt will be stable.

I hope this makes sense as its not easy to explain!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #752
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I definitely agree on the Warm and Natural batting! I've never tried the quilt as you go style but have read about it. (sigh) Another technique I haven't gotten to yet! A rag quilt done in flannels or cottons is another option too: squares are sandwiched with backing, batting and top piece, then sewed together with half inch seams or so, with the raw edge on top. When it's all together, you clip the seams at 1/4 inch intervals, and toss it in the wash and dryer. The seams fray out. Makes for a comfortable, no fuss quilt. That'll be my next one. ( I've only had the fabric for 4 or 5 years. Right now I'm consumed by paper piecing snowflakes for a wall hanging).

Rxtravelprn: I agree that hand quilting definitely makes a softer handed quilt, and a very beautiful one. I have hand quilted exactly 1 quilt. I did that because my son told me I couldn't call myself a quilter unless I did. I enjoy it but it is very time consuming for me, so I tend to machine quilt or have things long armed. I'm not good at freehand quilting on the machine (yet). No need to debate putting in your opinion! It's as valid as everyone elses!

Kay
Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #753
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I agree also with Minno (Kay) the Warm and Natural is especially great for machine quilting or hand tied. Someone told me about Wool batting, by the Hobbs Company. ( Hobbs Bonded Fibers - Waco, Texas) For hand quilting it is heavenly. Like quilting butter. Much less stress for your hands. Well worth the extra money. The fabric you designed are just beautiful. Enjoy your new adventure, Happy Stitching, Jeanie
Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #754
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
So, Jeanie, you obviously hand quilt a great deal. I have a question. I have a quilt that was made by my great-grandmother in the early 1940's. It's a crazy quilt top with the pieces machine pieced on a muslin back, then has red sashing between the squares. Every seam is then hand featherstitched. I have no idea how to finish it as it's just a top now. Hand stitching was suggested but I think would be difficult due to the muslin. I don't think machine quilting would be good due to the age of the fabrics in it (early 1910's to 1930's). I'm afraid it would cut the fabric fibers. Do you have any suggestions for stabilizing it so it doesn't deteriorate? It's currently in good condition.
Anyone else have ideas?

Kay
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #755
3 Rivet Member

Thank you, everyone!!!
I sooo appreciate all the advice!

Kay, how lovely that you have that treasure of a quilt! Andy and I were given a handmade quilt from my aunt for our wedding and it has so much sentimental value.

I am so excited to get excited on this project!! I almost ordered warm and natural batting through amazon today, but had to remind myself that it will be awhile before I'm at the stage that I need it!

I did order hand needles, a mat, rotary cutter, and machine needles.

I received the package for garnet hill that included the shams and the twin flat that i'll be cutting up for the quilt - I wanted white polka dots on orange but thought they were out when I ordered and would get orange on white. Surprised that I got the ones I wanted!!
I hope the scale and fabric weight works! Picture (about 6" in L) of the sham attached. I love it and wish that I could buy more.. But they are expensive and when they run sales they are out quickly!

My other fabrics shipped and should be here before the weekend. If you've got nothing better to do on Friday afternoon, pls log in - I'm sure this newbie will have tons of questions!
Thank you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-544714618.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	510.3 KB
ID:	203633  
Old 01-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #756
3 Rivet Member

The fabric arrived!!

Just playing around with it - won't cut until I have the house to myself for a few hours next week.. :-)

Thoughts?

Should I stick with the bigger scale elephant fabric pictured or stick with original plan and get smaller scale? I like this one, but what will it look like in a twin size quilt?
Ahh decisions, decisions!

:-)
Mary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3652965766.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	203755  

Tags
quilting