Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Becky,

What a great job your sister did, she try and sell them via this forum's classified? I'm surprised they didn't sell well. Of course I don't know the price.

Mr. Silverhoot

Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
She did try to sell them on this forum. I think she charged $50 or $60. It sounds high, but I know all you quilters know the time & materials that go into quilting isn't cheap!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Becky,

As a quilters hubby I can definitely agree with you that quilting and Airstreams have something very much in common, both are expensive in both time and money. There is no way anybody would pay my wife what her quilts are worth. The pleasure she derives from quilting is priceless to me. BTW I don't think $50 to $60 is out of line.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When is the Paducah show? Somehow I missed dates... We have a trailer so we can camp with you and I love quilt retreats! Have to see if we could make this. Quilting and AS - what a wonderful combo!
(the guys can do whatever they want as long as they don't bother us!)
Kay
Old 09-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
2011 show is april 27-30.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
My first Paducah trip was with our SOB.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #63
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Truer Words....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Becky,

As a quilters hubby I can definitely agree with you that quilting and Airstreams have something very much in common, both are expensive in both time and money.
Very true and honestly, I had not thought of that. If you charged minimum wage for every hour spent cutting fabric, arranging fabric, machine piecing the top, actually quilting the layers, the price of material/batting... it would have to be a very easy quilt to actually be able to sell it for the same price as one found in Wally World or Target.

Makes me glad I make them for relaxation!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
What a great thread!! I also have a Janome (12lbs) that I take when we are on the road. At the Airstream Park in Minnesota we have a quilters group that meets weekly during the summer. I recently made a throw for our gaucho--purchased Airstream fabric from fabric.com.
Victoria
Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bra Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker View Post
Didn't think I would ever post this question on AS forum. Life is full of surprises.I hope someone can among the advanced seamstress/tailors can answer this for me.

I am trying to learn how to fit and make bras.I have a DD and GD that are very large busted (DD id a double H). Their bras must be custom made and are very expensive.

I have only done some small quilting projects.I have purchased a couple of books on bra making and realize how narrow the seams(1/8th inch) are and even a small deviation will affect the fit. Same as quilting pieces fitting together well. Which is probably why I have not done alot of it.I would consider my self an intermediate seamstress when it comes to dressmaking and the like using standard patterns.

So here is my question:

Would a machine that is good for making the narrow seams required for quilting be advantageous for bra making even though bras and lingerie require a fabrics with some stretchiness.? Which machine would enable someone of my skill level to get good results and not cost a fortune?

Suggestions from you more skilled ladies will be greatly appreciated.

'shaker
My mother caught me trying to use her machine when I was three. She decided to teach me rather than wait to find me howling with a needle through my pinkie. I think I LIVED at the Singer Sewing Center through elementary school. The owner, a relative of some kind, let me use ANY machine, (I was his "how hard can it be if a seven year old can do it?" model.)

Narrow seams - get a machine with a speed governor on it. Sew on SLOW. Also many machines have a seam guide that screws into the bed to keep you straight. If yours doesn't, a piece of colored tape marking the seam allowance distance from the needle can help you go straighter.

Anyone can learn anything if they are willing to put in the time and patience. What you want to do will take both. If you intend to use stretch fabrics a serger is almost a must. That sentence will cause instant consternation from many people - but remember - Scarlett O'hara wore supportive undergarments LONG before elastic was invented.

There are quite a few people today who are allergic to latex who must wear 100% fabric bras. If you can remember the 1950's some of those were still pretty common. In SOME respects those could actually be more comfortable than the spandex ones of today. If you're carrying an extra few pounds, spandex loves to create grooves in your softer spots - and most of todays bras either have NO underwire, or ONE under the cup underwire or ONE stay where the side piece meets the cup. That little sucker will stab you at both ends. Back in the day, most bras for large busted women had a series of vertical side stays, put in like fence posts about an inch apart, from the side of the cup well back under the arm. It kept the fabric from rolling, and gave support without that one little spear jabbing you.

All "C" and up ladies should treat themselves to a trip to a high end fitter at least once. Extra stays can be added to off the shelf bras and many like them better that way. It's a do-it-yourself project if you can thread "wooly nylon" on your standard machine and get the proper bias tape to encase the stay. (Try on an old bra first.)

So: Down to specifics. Take a sewing class in sewing with stretch fabric. The LARGE JoAnne and Hancock stores often run those. There are also some very nice independent stores out there, but check for longevity and reputation of their classes. You can find some very good DVD training too, but when things go wrong an instructor can get you back on track a lot quicker than a DVD. The real benefit of taking a class IN STORE is that you can use the higher end machines like the Pfaff and Elnas and Husqueveras??? sp?. (Then find a used one on the internet.) Instructors will show you less expensive ones too if the top models are just out of your range. You'll get to know what works and what won't by taking the class.

IMHO, nothing Singer has built since the late 60's is worth a darn. Also don't touch anything you can get at WalMart - they may have a known manufacturer's name, but they are a cheaper version.

Virtually all machines are now manufactured in Asia - even the Janomes. However there is decent Asian stuff and Asian crap. Mid-level Janomes tend to be very good machines, both the regular and sergers. I can't speak for the high end embroidery ones though.

Now about those narrow seams. Most seams are trimmed back during or after sewing. Sergers all have cutters that snip the fabric back to the stitch line just before needles. Other seams are oversewn. Get a piece of scrap fabric and I'll teach you two techniques.

FLAT FELD SEAMS - sew your plain old 5/8" seam. Press open. On the inside trim back one seam allowance to a bit less than 1/4" inch. Use small scissors to make it easier. On the other side fold over the seam and press in half parallel to the stitching. Fold that over the raw trimmed seam. Press flat. Run a second line of stitching down the folded side about 1/16" from the fold. TA DA.

Now for a blue jean seam, run another line of stitching 1/16" inch from the first seam.

Another Variation on that is to triple fold the uncut seam allowance and instead of sewing through the front of the fabric actually fold that piece around the trimmed side and sew down the edge just behind the main seam going only through the folded allowance and the trimmed one inside.

FRENCH SEAM - If you ever sew anything that loves to ravel, a serger solves that problem, but if you want to make your seam look very elegant, especially on something that's a bit see-through - there's a very simple way to do it. Cut your pieces as normal. Put them together RIGHT SIDE OUT, sew the seam with 1/4" or less, Fold the pieces inside out, and press flat at the seam. Sew the real seam at 3/8". This encases the raw edges inside the seam. (GREAT for scratchy stiff stuff like Taffeta.)

So. Bras are all detail work, even the "over the shoulder boulder holders". Some machines have a speed limiter (great for kids learning to sew) and very good for this kind of work. Look for that feature and for anything especially designed for stretch fabric.

And DO look up "large cup size bras" on the internet. You may find you CAN get something ready made for your relatives. (Of course the ungrateful wenches will probably have reduction surgery about a month after you master how to make their garments!)

Paula
Old 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Twin quilts for Belle

I just saw this thread and wanted to post a pic of the twin quilts I just finished this weekend for our Airstream:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	110653  
Old 09-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
grand rapids , Michigan
Wow, this information has been great. We just bought our 1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 and after my husband and I had the ' what do you need a sewing machine for when you are camping' discussion, we have been looking for ideas. He agreed that a sewing machine along would be a good thing, because he would have more fishing time with the guys. I already have the machine- I have both a Featherweight and a Janome Jem Platinum, but what is everyone using to store their materials and quilting supplies in? I love seeing all of your projects.

Thanks, Marsha
Old 09-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #68
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Love The Pillow Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
I just saw this thread and wanted to post a pic of the twin quilts I just finished this weekend for our Airstream:
The quilts are great but I absolutely love the pillow cases!! I hope this thread stays alive.... it can be a great source of inspiration!

A thought (if anyone is interested)- I have a craft blog (largely unread except by my friends and family) but if anyone would like to share there ideas and how they did something I would not mind posting them up... or even starting an air streamers quilt blog for us all to share on. A place for us to display our finished quilts....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #69
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
IMHO, nothing Singer has built since the late 60's is worth a darn.
Paula
I will not argue with you on that statement, even agree with you on it and possibly give you proof of it. However, I keep my 9410 Singer from 1999.

Now, I am in no way claiming it is a good machine but she serves a purpose. Yes, she has many unflattering names and my husband knows exactly when I am using her. I will also be keeping the presser foot department in business as the horizontal post that holds the foot to the shank keeps rattling out. However, when I am afraid a fabric is too rough or the project too large for my treadles or featherweight I use it. She takes a licking and so far she's still ticking.. even when I went 10 years with intermediate use without servicing her. So I guess I'm saying even the not so great ones have a use...from time to time. Just don't ask too much of it...

Now that I think about it.. she might be why I went for vintage and antique instead of modern when I purchase "new" machines....hmmm.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #70
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Unnatural Love Of Plastic Bins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberfrog View Post
but what is everyone using to store their materials and quilting supplies in? I love seeing all of your projects.

Thanks, Marsha
Marsha,
First we are new to Airstreaming/Rving and only weekend warriors not full timers so this might not work for anyone else. Also, I only have to pack at most 2 weeks worth of stuff. However, since getting our 1971 overlander I have discovered a powerful love of Sterlite's 16 qt bins. I pack my bins with everything I want to take then haul them out the AS in the drive way. This size fits perfect into my cabinets and I mean I use them for clothes, sheets, towels, dishes, kids toys and crafts. I am sure you could probably find a size bin that fits what you need.

A few other's have listed some great ideas for their large cutting mats and other storage/organization ideas.

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
quilting