Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #681
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Bed quilts

Although they would be super cute in the Tradewind they are not for her, they are for two very special wee ones, I will post pics when I get them all finished up (Im thinking 2-3 weeks).

Recently went to a Quilting Estate Sale and I scored big, with notions, hoops, pearl cotton, zippers and cute trims. Have you ever been to a quilting estate sale? Its a fabulous way to spend a Saturday morning I tell ya! www.estatesales.net sign up there and they will email you estate sales in your area that are coming up.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #682
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ooh, that would be dangerous! I do love those blocks, Jezibels!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #683
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Garden row markers

Been working a lot in the garden so far this spring with this warm weather. Recently a friend gave me a few upholstery samples from her discontinued book so I made row markers to hang on teh garden fence beyond each row, so far I made one for Tomatoes, Eggplant, Peas and Pumpkins:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7253.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	154337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7250.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	526.2 KB
ID:	154338  

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #684
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Marvelous garden flags...I should make a set for myself Will they wear outdoors? ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #685
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Wow. I am seriously so flippin' excited that I found this thread. I am majorly in love with quilting! I just started quiltiing last summer and have made about 4-5 lap quilts, a twin size quilt, and a number of baby quilts.
I have a BabyLock Grace. Love it!!!!! DOes anyone else have this machine and use it for free motion quilting? I'm having a bobbin thread tension issue, not sure what I'm missing.
Anyhow, I love seen all your pics, fellow quilters!
Check out this fabric! I'm making a quilt for our AS!

Name:	trailer fabric.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	154564

Oh yeah, and I'm working on new curtains too!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #686
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Mrs. Mod; I don't know anything about your sewing machine, but mine has a bobbin thread tension adjusting screw on the bobbin holder. I only had to adjust it once in thirty years.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #687
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Marvelous garden flags...I should make a set for myself Will they wear outdoors? ~G

Well I had plans of scotchguarding them, but never got around to it, if they get raggy Ill just make more ; )

I made about 20 so far for the various crops, here is another photo of them in action on the cold weather crops that are planted:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7711_1b.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	156433  
Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #688
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Mrs. Mod; I don't know anything about your sewing machine, but mine has a bobbin thread tension adjusting screw on the bobbin holder. I only had to adjust it once in thirty years.
Hi again,
I know adjusting bobbin thread tension is a big no no, but I've also heard it must be adjusted for free motion quilting.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #689
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is not about Airstreams, other than that ours was parked in her yard, but.......

Doug's mother quilted for decades, starting when you made quilts and blankets out of worn out clothing, etc. She recently pulled out a quilt made entirely of chicken-feed sacks. As she tells it, feed sacks came In prints and patterns because people back in the day made clothing from them. Prints, flowers, paisley, checks, etc, you can just imagine children in little dresses and shirts. The plain sacks were used for dishcloths. The women went to the feed store with the men when it was time to buy feed, because they knew who needed clothing.

She has offered this to me, and Doug is going to snag it when the time comes. It is beautiful.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #690
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Not that it matters, per say, but it's probably worth some money on the antique quilt market. You can still find feed sacks at antique stores occasionally, and people still buy them. There's also a line or 2 of fabrics that are based on feed sack prints. I have a quilt top made by my great grandmother in the early 1940's just prior to her going blind. It's never been finished into a quilt. It's not feed sacks but has fabrics fro the teens, 20's and 30's in it (it's a crazy quilt). She hand feather stitched between each fabric in it. I had it appraised a couple of years ago just so I knew what I had and get suggestions on how to finish it. The quilt appraiser gave me a value of about $350 on it, which isn't a lot of money, but I wasn't really interested in monetary value because it means the world to me.
If you get that feed sack quilt you should probably have it appraised so you can insure it for the value it has and know what you have. I'd love to see a picture of it when you get it!

Kay
Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #691
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
[QUOTE=Minno;1136959If you get that feed sack quilt you should probably have it appraised so you can insure it for the value it has and know what you have. I'd love to see a picture of it when you get it! Kay[/QUOTE]

i'll do that. Doug's mom is 94+, sharp as a tack and still living by herself on the farm, so don't hold you're breath. I'm not holding mine.

I've never looked for feed sacks in antique stores, but may just start doing that.

My niece has a quilt started by my great-grandmother at some point in the mid-to-late 1800's and finished by one of her daughters in the early 1900's. It is made entirely from cloth made from cotton grown on the family plantation in southern Mississippi. The cotton was sent north to make into cloth and print into fabric, returned to the plantation in bolts ready to cut and sew. Amazing.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #692
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow, that's cool about the plantation quilt! And, yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on Doug's mom - she could outlive us all!

Kay
Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #693
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
Well I had plans of scotchguarding them, but never got around to it, if they get raggy Ill just make more ; )

I made about 20 so far for the various crops, here is another photo of them in action on the cold weather crops that are planted:
Absolutely darling!
Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #694
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
Been working a lot in the garden so far this spring with this warm weather. Recently a friend gave me a few upholstery samples from her discontinued book so I made row markers to hang on teh garden fence beyond each row, so far I made one for Tomatoes, Eggplant, Peas and Pumpkins:
SO cute!
Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #695
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
GreenStyleMom: Camper's Quilt

While not an AS quilt, I recently found this (above)& love it!!

GreenStyleMom: Camper's Quilt
Camper Quilt 4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Vintage Camper Love

Moda Bake Shop: Happy Camper Quilt or Quilted Tablecloth
great for rallies?

Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog: I'm a Happy Camper

camper quilt - Google Search

camper quilt - Google Search

Airstreaming Dreaming: Search results for quilt

doe-c-doe: thursday = embroidery
maybe trace this to make a pattern then hand embroider the details &add your own special details?

DIY Curtain Pattern for an Airstream Trailer | eHow.com curtains
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #696
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Mod View Post
Hi again,
I know adjusting bobbin thread tension is a big no no, but I've also heard it must be adjusted for free motion quilting.

I have a Bernina 730. I have two bobbin cases, one I adjust and one I leave alone for regular sewing. (OK, I have 3 cases, one for embroidery). When quilting with varigated heavier weight thread I find it necessary to adust the bobbin tension as well as the top tension. For free motion I do not see this as much but I drop the feed dogs.

Perhaps that helps.

T
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #697
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thumbs up

Check out these fabrics that were debuted at quilt market last week...just HAD to share...esp if you are modern sewists! Are they not awesome???

fabrics

enjoy!
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #698
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Quilts For Kids

I ran across this site and thought that I would pass it along. There might be a chapter in your area so your donation could stay local.

Seems like a wonderful idea, might be something for this winter!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #699
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Yes!Yes! Quilts for Kids is a great organization. I have donated to them before. As a mom of a healthy, wonderful adult son who was in the hospital with him when he was six weeks, I understand how those families feel. We were blessed to be able to leave .

No need for a chapter. I've sent boxes of quilts directly to the offices in Philadelphia. You can use a pattern on the site or anything you make at home as long as you read the parameters. They will even send you a kit should you not want to purchase the material. It's a great way to try out new designs with a purpose.

Great post
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #700
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
If I read it right though, when you order a kit you have 4-6 weeks to return the quilt. Just to be aware of that should you decide that you want to "some day"

I am really excited to be able to start doing more quilting. Today I tried free motion quilting for the first time. It's challenging, but getting a little easier. I am working on practice blocks, until I can take a break from spring fix up on the AS to make one.

However, I think my first quilt to make will be a "cheaters" cathedral window quilt. I hope to have the blocks precut before vacation and be able to iron them all while on the trip. We always have time after the kids go to bed. Then when I get home I can start sewing them together and put in the "windows". I only got these supplies last fall, not too far behind!!
Hyena In Petticoats: Cathedral Window Quilt Tutorial
When I get better at this I hope to be able to donate to this cause as well as finish a sunbonnet sue quilt that was started by my husbands late great grandmother in the late 50's early 60's!!
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!

Tags
quilting