Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #461
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I'm so out of the loop on this thread. Which is what happens when you aren't working on a project. Today I started cleaning out my craft cabinet and condensing again. What a nightmare ... at least until I had to run out to Joann's for some therapy shopping (new cutting mat the Olfa rotating run, a craft "tackle" box, some new scissors) then things started to perk up a bit!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #462
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierrunne View Post
Imgreenfield--Love the fish Quilt!!! Carmilla---Love you puppy dog! My cat "Dempsey" would love to play with him. I haven't read all the thread but I bet not many men are involved with quilting but count me in!! I have run alot of Marathons in that past twenty some odd years and needed to do something with all the shirts. For the past three years I have cut the shirts, ironed them and apply an interfacing on each square. It took alot of time to arrange the squares to look good, but I am gaining on it! I fess up, I do not sew so I had a nice lady sew the top pieces together and now another lady is quilting the top to the backing. I should have the quilt back soon. You ladies do some really nice work! Don
Good use of the T's. Enjoy the memory's and they don't wind up as paint rags.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #463
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
T-Shirt Quilts

I will try and find time to take pictures of mine I made from my high school and college rowing t-shirts. I did one double sided- with identical layouts on each side. The really funny thing is, there's a layout mistake on each side that happened to match up, so it looks like it's done on purpose. I have to say the only hard thing about a t-shirt quilt is designing the layout- no two logos are the same size. That, and get yourself a really good iron on stabilizer to fuse to the knit so it doesn't stretch when you sew!!
Carmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #464
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
Carmilla, you are 100% right about designing the layout. I spent many hours changing locations of the squares and limiting the colors. I used Pellon #911FF for the interfacing. Would love to see pictures of yours--Both sides!!!! Royce, I only used around 50 shirts so have more then that didn't make the cut. Many shirts just did not have a good color or design so still have some paint rags. Should have some more pictures next week. Don
glacierrunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #465
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Anacortes , Washington
Alumapalooza?

Is anyone in this group planning to attend Alumapalooza this year?
lmgreenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #466
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sorry, no. Reports of it on this forum always make it seem fun. If you go, enjoy! Due to health issues with our eldest son, we no longer make "plans" which often need to be canceled last minute. Instead, we take trips when a window of good health opportunity shows itself. Our only plans currently are to spend two weeks in Grand Marais, MN, first two weeks of July. I hope to piece quilt blocks outside on the picnic table overlooking the harbor on Lake Superior. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #467
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
I am going to Alumapalooza.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #468
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Anacortes , Washington
Alumapalooza?

McAir - perhaps we can meet up? My husband and I will be attending for the first time this year. I will, of course, be taking some quilting . Maxandgeorgia - it sounds as though you've found the way to cope with your need to be present for your son and your desire for travel. Good for you!
lmgreenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #469
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgreenfield View Post
Is anyone in this group planning to attend Alumapalooza this year?
Don and I are looking forward to it. We attended last year and had a blast. I will be commuting Tues. - Thurs. as we have had days added to the end of the school year because of the snow days we've had this year. I teach 6th grade Language Arts (used to just be called English). But I'll be there full time Thurs. afternoon - Sunday. PLEASE introduce yourself if you spot our Minuet. The Argosys are easy to spot among the silver.

Take Care,
Lana
Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #470
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I am also going to Alumapalooza. I haven't been posting to this thread recently because I have been dealing with a hip revision and am just now getting back to normal. I even started quilting again!

Last year at Alumapalooza, several quilters found each other and had a great time chatting and sharing pictures and quilts. It would be easy to make an announcement for a time to get together to meet each other. What fun.

All the best,
Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #471
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
I count 4 of us so far at Alumapalooza. Shouldn't be too hard to meet up. We will be on the road about 12 days total. I haven't even thought about what I might bring other than knitting. Will we have enough AC to run sewing machines? I am expecting this a boondock event and don't know how much electric we really get.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #472
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I just copied this from the Alumapalooza FAQ site. I doubt if sewing machines will work with 3-amp power unless they work on 12 volts, but an electrical expert should answer this one:

Q: What utilities will I get on-site?
A: Alumapalooza 2011 will offer 3-amp AC power, and access to water and dump station. If you wish to hook up to water, bring 100 feet of water hose and a Y-connector. Trailers will be “daisy chained” to a central water supply.
Q: Can I get 30-amp electric to run my air conditioner?
A: Sorry, no, but you can elect to park in the generator section and provide your own power. Be sure to check the “Generator section” option when you register. Note that generator sites will not have electrical connections supplied, so if you park in those spaces, you’re on your own for power.
Q: What’s the 3-amp power hookup good for?
A: It’s for keeping your battery charged. Use only 12-volt lights and appliances, and you’ll be fine. Fridges should be on “propane” setting during the event.
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #473
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Diego-Lana, I wish we could attend since it sounds like you'll have a quilters' gathering. I'd especially like to see your Argosy. We have a '78 Minuet partially disassembled (interior) in our barn. We've begun putting down a laminate stone-look floor and I'm torn between redoing uphostery and keeping the side couch and the front dinette or replacing the dinette with another couch. Putting up and taking down the dinette daily is not something we'd enjoy, I fear. Would you believe I've been all winter mulling over this without reaching a decision yet? What arrangement do you have inside in your Argosy? Btw, I see you're a LA teacher. Until retirement four years ago, I taught middle school 8th grade LA. Loved it then, but oh! I'm glad to be home sewing and quilting more now All of you, have fun at the "palooza!" ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #474
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Fort Payne , Alabama
Grandbaby's small quilt I hand quilted this week. She is almost 2 & loved the bright colors. Would love to see what you all are working on this week. We will be installing the new converter on the Argosy this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	125539  
bbnaugher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #475
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Diego-Lana, I wish we could attend since it sounds like you'll have a quilters' gathering. I'd especially like to see your Argosy. We have a '78 Minuet partially disassembled (interior) in our barn. We've begun putting down a laminate stone-look floor and I'm torn between redoing uphostery and keeping the side couch and the front dinette or replacing the dinette with another couch. Putting up and taking down the dinette daily is not something we'd enjoy, I fear. Would you believe I've been all winter mulling over this without reaching a decision yet? What arrangement do you have inside in your Argosy? Btw, I see you're a LA teacher. Until retirement four years ago, I taught middle school 8th grade LA. Loved it then, but oh! I'm glad to be home sewing and quilting more now All of you, have fun at the "palooza!" ~G
Max and Georgia,

Yes, last year at "palooza" I met Caryl, who posts here and another quilter (don't know if she is on the forum or not). It was fun to meet and make so many new friends.

Don just put a new floor in our Minuet last weekend. It's a plastic or rubber like floor, called Allure by Home Depot that looks like hand scraped wood planks, but totally impervious to water. Sounds cheap looking, but it's not at all - I love the way it looks. There is some flex to our floor, so Don's not sure how the planks will hold together, so only time will tell with that.

I spent the weekend working on the cushions (I posted a pic of the material here earlier) and that is still a work in progress, but they're coming along. We are going to try using the gaucho for our bed instead of the dinette and see how that works. Pushing it back against the wall during the day and throwing the comforter over it doesn't seem like it will be a big thing.

Wow, we'll have to get together and talk teacher talk! I am very close to retiring. So tempting to let it all go and be able to sew all I want. It won't be long. Tough decision to know when to retire these days.

Good luck on your Minuet. Hope to see you down the road when you are able to get away.

Lana
Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #476
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
BBNaugher - Fabulous Quilt I really love the bright colors!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #477
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Muslin?

This is sort of a poll~

1). How do you all feel about backing quilts with muslin?
a. bleached
b. unbleached

I know many people use it because it comes in longer naps, I have always used just kona cottons for backing and would piece the backing too. Now I have three large quilts (95" x 95") to back, baste and bind and I was thinking about buying about 10 yards of 105" muslin to do the job.

2). What do you think about buying batting by the yard vs. bagged?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #478
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I've been thinking about buying a whole bat since I suspect the price will be climbing along with everything else. If you are doing several quilts, this may be a best way to go, especially if you can get a "buy" with the quantity through your local quilt shop. More and more I tend to put a darker print on the back of my quilts saving the creamy colored muslin for anything I do in a 40's theme. It is nice to get the wide width for backing if it's available. Just my thoughts...~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #479
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Many quilt shops and online retailers carry 108" backing. I used it for my king size quilt. And it is a nice tone on tone print that complements to front nicely. I will piece backing if needed to get the color I want.

You can get big rolls of batting at Joannes and Hancocks. Our church sewing group bought a huge roll from Joann a few years ago with a 50% off coupon. Great deal. Of course it was poly, but OK for our projects. I've never seen the really good stuff sold in rolls.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #480
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The biggest problem may be storage for such a big bundle of batting! We've downsized and places to store large items has become a challenge. You make reference to "really good stuff." Is this cotton based, something like the warm and natural line? Are some battings better than others? Our quilt shop locally just got in a roll of a blended batting that felt very nice to the hand. ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU

Tags
quilting