Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #401
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Liga, if I may use your given name, thank you for good information. Your cherry quilting frame does sound lovely-lucky you with that to look forward to when you retire. I'm trying a silicone thimble, soft and flexible, yet seems to do the job. I don't know what you mean by "finger cots." We are using Betweens, and they do make stitching easier than with regular sewing needles. We may start in early March and if so, I'll report back here on our progress, or lack of. I do know what you mean by uniformity of stitching being important. Back forty years ago when I was a young mother in north Missouri, our town's senior center had a large front window that looked out on our main street. I'd pass by and see several ladies hovering over a pieced quilt in a frame, stitching away. I absolutely fell in love with an elderly lady with knotted arthritic hands who had the most beautiful quilting stitch. I don't know how she managed, but her quilting was wonderful, while that of many others would wander and jump, nothing like the beautiful work of Hester. Those old hands of hers were works of art in the art they could create. I wish she were here to guide me in my hand quilting today. And, wish you could join us, Liga ~G (Georgia)
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #402
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
What about Tying Quilts, anyone still finish their quilts that way? I do all mine that way because I love the way it looks and my vintage Brother cannot go thru 3 layers nor can it do free motion...heck it doesnt even have a walking foot!
I have done 2 or 3 by tying. The first was by request and the second just seemed to go with the fabric. Not my favorite way... I tend to go with whatever I feel the quilt needs.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #403
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Anacortes , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
.... I don't know what you mean by "finger cots." ...... ~G (Georgia)
A finger cot is a medical supply used to cover one or more fingers in situations where a full glove is unnecessary. You can get a small package of them in mixed sizes in any store that sells first-aid supplies. If you like using them, then you can go to medical supply store or order online a larger package of just the size(s) that best fit you. (A box of them costs about $3 and lasts years). You can also find them in some quilt shops, in small packages of mixed sizes, but "quilter's finger cots" packaged specifically for that use tend to be more expensive than those sold at drugstores, and are identical in material and quality. Check out this web site for some more handy tips for hand-quilters: Hand Quilting Quilt Tips from Quilters Around the World!
lmgreenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #404
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Anacortes , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
I have done 2 or 3 by tying. The first was by request and the second just seemed to go with the fabric. Not my favorite way... I tend to go with whatever I feel the quilt needs.
Tying is a really quick way to finish a utility quilt and can be lovely because it can be done using a thicker, puffier batting so that the finished product is very fluffy, with a high loft and pretty puckers where the ties are. You can also use different threads for tying (such as embroidery threads, yarn, metalic threads, etc.) which can serve as an enhancement to the quilt fabrics and designs. I'm with rebelstand - use what the quilt "tells" you to do; I also have done machine-quilted and tied quilts in addition to the hand-quilted ones - each method is perfect for certain quilts.
lmgreenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #405
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Tying Quilts

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on tying, as Im thinking about it now I realize that the very 1st quilt I ever saw as a wee one, was at my Grams house and it was in fact one that she tied with embroidery thread and after multiple washings and wear the little ties turned into cute little balls. That must be why I always lean toward a tied quilt. My next one I will do both, hand quilt and tie....stay tuned because this next one will be the 1st quilt Ive ever made for myself!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #406
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
It's funny we should be discussing tieing quilts now. Just last weekend, my four-year-old granddaughter spent a long weekend with us. We had gone to movies, cooked, created art...finally I suggested we make a dolly quilt. I had left over from a tablecloth project some charm packs of "camping" theme. She was so excited, arranged the little squares as she liked them in rows on the tile floor, changing images and colors until she had five rows by five, just as she liked them. She'd gather them up, bring them to me and "help" me sew them on my little Featherweight. After helping me make the sandwich of layers, she then helped me tie the little quilt with red Pearl cotton--very slowly and exactly. I'll have it bound for her soon, and I think she'll love it for life ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #407
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
m&g -- I sure love to see your posts, by the way. You guys are two of the warmest people I've ever met, and it would be great to cross paths with you soon ....
Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #408
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thank you, Summerkid, for your kind words. As for crossing paths, don't we (as Airstream-Argosy lovers) always hope to share campfires with new and old camping friends around the country? I know that when we pull into a campground, we always scan for silver or cream "twinkie" shapes and make a point to stop by and swap howdies. So often, a hello turns into an hour-long chat and often a tour of another's AS and ours in return. And now that we know there are 'streamers out there who also quilt and sew...we'll be scanning for small sewing machines, maybe Featherweights like mine!, set up and stitching on picnic tables along side an Airstream or Argosy! Life just gets more interestiing ~Georgia
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #409
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Snack mats

Well I had no idea what to give my Mother in law for her Birthday this weekend, so I whipped up 4 placemats (Easter on one side and a springtime green gingham on the other) along with the gift I also made 2 more scrappy orange snackmats for her two little grandchildren to spill stuff on

Im pretty confident she doesn't read this forum so its safe to post pics of them here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	123458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1620.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	123459  

Name:	IMG_1660.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	123460  
Old 03-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #410
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Well I had no idea what to give my Mother in law for her Birthday this weekend, so I whipped up 4 placemats (Easter on one side and a springtime green gingham on the other) along with the gift I also made 2 more scrappy orange snackmats for her two little grandchildren to spill stuff on

Im pretty confident she doesn't read this forum so its safe to post pics of them here!
Could you come to my house and finish my unfinished projects? You seem to get so much more done than I can!

Your placemats are gorgeous!! And a great idea!

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #411
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
I agree, they are beautiful!! You have inspired me to bring my crafts with me. I recently acquired a serger and home it sits as we Airstream on the weekends. Maybe I will bring it along!!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #412
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I'm amazed at the projects that are getting done among quilters in this group! On my own news front, I completed my two-year-pastdue Thimbleberries quilt and handed it over to my machine quilter friend to quilt in "feathers". I've completed two large lapquilts for church Piecemakers--ready tomorrow to layer them and then machine quilt them very simply at home. I've done four blocks of six pieced blocks for a quilt that combines appliqued and pieced blocks. I've taken a class to sharpen my applique skills and will soon begin the six applique blocks. That will be fun and something different. My grandson wants a Queen sized quilt so I've been collecting batiks in lights and darks to do the Triangle Surprise quilt featured in last month's Fons and POrter magazine. I belong to a needlecrafters group at our local Conservation Center, and this year's quilt features Missouri wildflowers. I've decided to embroider rather than piece the twelve blocks through the year. I"ve taken a class in red work embroidery to refresh skills before beginning this. And finally, I've committed to make the Jinny's Garden quilt featured on the Jinny Beyer's newsletter on line. Gorgeous paper piecing of flower blocks (batiks again?) set on black or dark background in lattice. Well...there is my year ahead in quilting. Can't wait to get deep into it all, and for sure, I'll be piecing,, appliqueing, or embroidering my way across the country if we find a niche of time to take off in our Airstream Spring is popping up around here--grass is greener after our last snow melt and bulbs are peeping up under pines and in flower beds. Happy stitching to all, ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #413
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Quilting Arts Mag

The Feb/March Issue of Quilting Arts just came in the mail, nice article about taking your quilting projects with you on the road. One idea I liked was to use a covered basket (aka Dorothy in Wiz of Oz) and keep your quilt in there with your tools in a cute little tin (altoids) so its handy to take anywhere you go. I may look for a basket now...and of course I would have to sew it its own one of a kind hip rockin' scrappy basket liner
Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #414
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
PS: Thanks for your kind words guys! It really makes my day!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #415
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hmmm, do you suppose someone has been following our thread and gone public with the discussion?! It's interesting that a freelancer is exploring the same ideas that we are here on the forum. Good...I'll look for the issue and article. Thanks for the headsup. ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #416
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:

So very nice!!
Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #417
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
I'm amazed at the projects that are getting done among quilters in this group! On my own news front, I completed my two-year-pastdue Thimbleberries quilt and handed it over to my machine quilter friend to quilt in "feathers". I've completed two large lapquilts for church Piecemakers--ready tomorrow to layer them and then machine quilt them very simply at home. I've done four blocks of six pieced blocks for a quilt that combines appliqued and pieced blocks. I've taken a class to sharpen my applique skills and will soon begin the six applique blocks. That will be fun and something different. My grandson wants a Queen sized quilt so I've been collecting batiks in lights and darks to do the Triangle Surprise quilt featured in last month's Fons and POrter magazine. I belong to a needlecrafters group at our local Conservation Center, and this year's quilt features Missouri wildflowers. I've decided to embroider rather than piece the twelve blocks through the year. I"ve taken a class in red work embroidery to refresh skills before beginning this. And finally, I've committed to make the Jinny's Garden quilt featured on the Jinny Beyer's newsletter on line. Gorgeous paper piecing of flower blocks (batiks again?) set on black or dark background in lattice. Well...there is my year ahead in quilting. Can't wait to get deep into it all, and for sure, I'll be piecing,, appliqueing, or embroidering my way across the country if we find a niche of time to take off in our Airstream Spring is popping up around here--grass is greener after our last snow melt and bulbs are peeping up under pines and in flower beds. Happy stitching to all, ~G
Sounds like you have accomplished a lot as well! AND have much planned for the year ahead. I absolutely LOVE Jinny's Garden quilt, too. Are you going to use her fabric or collect/use some of your own? I am chomping at the bit to buy her kit for it, but cannot figure out a place to hang it in my house. Six feet by six feet is a large quilt to hang and I don't have a wall for it. If I make it, I sure want to display it where I can enjoy it!

Good luck with your projects. They all sound enjoyable.

Lana
Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #418
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hello, Lana. I'm glad to find another quilter salivating over Jinny's Garden. I'm thinking of ordering the flower fabrics, but not the setting. I'm not sure I'd like black, but a navy with tiny dots might be nice for me. Then again I think of how startlingly beautiful some of the Amish quilts are done in black backgrounds or settings. The lattice seems to be a neutral batik-I like that. I need to stop puzzling over it and just order it, figure out the details later on! Is there a way you can reduce the quilt size and still achieve that stunning look? My knees knock thinking of all that paper piecing, but this project would push me from novice to accomplished, I hope. Let me know if you order the kit--I'll do the same Is anyone else here interested? ~G
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #419
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Just got a flyer from our local Craft Warehouse and it showed that March 19th is National Quilt day. they are having a series of events starting 3-17. I'll be in So Calif then so will miss out. Any one else have a local event that sounds like fun, and will attend.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #420
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
In Progress

Here is what I worked on today!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	508.0 KB