Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #381
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Anacortes , Washington
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
Well, here's what I've been up to my eyeballs doing -- a Web site for my longarm business. Please take a look & let me know whether it would draw you in. There are plenty of ways I plan to expand & improve the site, but for now it gets "me" across. Also, it shows off some of my work. My b'friend says it looks exactly like my quilts!

http://www.quiltingbysummer.com
Love your web site - pretty to look at and easy to navigate, unlike some with all those semi-hidden layers.
lmgreenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #382
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Oh, THANK YOU. Love any feedback.
Have you posted any photos of your work?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #383
2 Rivet Member

Anacortes , Washington
In the past I've done more traditional quilts, using warm fabric tones and standard patterns, but then I discovered batiks and have moved into a whole new world (for me) - I am totally in love with quilting again from the creative perspective. Here is one I made this past summer for my artist-aunt to help her celebrate her 100th birthday. I wanted to create a quilt that reflected her choice and use of colors in her more recent works, which were quite bright and abstract, so started playing with a batik charm pack and found the creative "me" again. She loved this quilt, so I was doubly blessed - in the joy of the creating and in her joy in receiving the quilt. I machine piece, but hand quilt, so there's a close-up of the quilting as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03488.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	122398   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03497.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	122399  

Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #384
2 Rivet Member

Anacortes , Washington
I'm working on another batik quilt now, for my son's birthday in a couple of weeks. This one celebrates his love of fly fishing. I'm really pleased with how it's coming along and my husband says it's my best one ever. I'll post a photo when it's completed (nearly there).
Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #385
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
So, I know it's only February, but we start planning trips about now. We are registering for the 4 Corners Vintage Restoration Rally in June. Is anyone else from this thread going to be there? We could maybe sew together an afternoon when the guys are doing something grungy (not that I mind getting grungy, but, you know...).

Kay
Sadly, not going to 4 Corners. Maybe when we retire...
Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #386
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
As promised the new upholstery pictures:

I also finished the baby quilt last night. I'll post some pictures a little later today.
Very nice! You can never go wrong with denim!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #387
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Here is the finished baby blanket:

So cute and colorful! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #388
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Here is one of my favorite pieces -- one of the few I've kept rather than sold. I named it "The Borrowers Aloft" because something about the center reminded me of that much-loved old children's series.
I love the water color effect of this quilt and the colors.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #389
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
And here's a simpler version of my typical style.
I love how the colors blend together.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #390
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgreenfield View Post
In the past I've done more traditional quilts, using warm fabric tones and standard patterns, but then I discovered batiks and have moved into a whole new world (for me) - I am totally in love with quilting again from the creative perspective. Here is one I made this past summer for my artist-aunt to help her celebrate her 100th birthday. I wanted to create a quilt that reflected her choice and use of colors in her more recent works, which were quite bright and abstract, so started playing with a batik charm pack and found the creative "me" again. She loved this quilt, so I was doubly blessed - in the joy of the creating and in her joy in receiving the quilt. I machine piece, but hand quilt, so there's a close-up of the quilting as well.
WOW, impressed with your hand quilting. I'm not that patient. I do everything (almost) by machine.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #391
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Well, here's what I've been up to my eyeballs doing -- a Web site for my longarm business. Please take a look & let me know whether it would draw you in. There are plenty of ways I plan to expand & improve the site, but for now it gets "me" across. Also, it shows off some of my work. My b'friend says it looks exactly like my quilts!

http://www.quiltingbysummer.com
I really like your website. It was easy to navigate and it was visually attractive. I would, however, like to see more in the gallery.

My daughter and her husband have decided to uproot and move to Portland. Your location sounds fabulous!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #392
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Thank you, Diego. The gallery will be expanded when, um, I finish more quilts. I'm like the cobbler's children when it comes to actually finishing things, and I haven't yet done that many quilts for other people.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #393
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Thank you, Diego. The gallery will be expanded when, um, I finish more quilts. I'm like the cobbler's children when it comes to actually finishing things, and I haven't yet done that many quilts for other people.
I think we're all in that boat. It's so fun to start projects - harder to finish. Believe me, my UFO drawer is overflowing! Your work is beautiful and I look forward to seeing more of your work. Good luck with your business!!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #394
2 Rivet Member

Anacortes , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
WOW, impressed with your hand quilting. I'm not that patient. I do everything (almost) by machine.
The hand-quilting is relaxing for me - a real stress-buster, and I feel it gives a 'softer' look to the quilts than does machine quilting, but that's just personal preference. I love quilts of all styles and creation methods and am just so awed by the creativity they reflect.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #395
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Imgreenfield, some of my friends and I are beginning to handquilt, starting with some small practice pieces and soon moving on to some old quilt tops that belong to one friend. Because the tops are older, she wants hand rather than machine quilting and we all agreed to become her quilting circle to get them done. Since we've all been practicing, we should have fairly uniform stitches, or so we hope. How do you do your quilting? Do you have a large frame or work with hoops? Do you use a thimble?Your illustration is wonderful ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #396
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Tying quilts?

What about Tying Quilts, anyone still finish their quilts that way? I do all mine that way because I love the way it looks and my vintage Brother cannot go thru 3 layers nor can it do free motion...heck it doesnt even have a walking foot!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #397
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
For me, so much time goes into the piecing that tying wouldn't provide the stability necessary for longevity or wall display. Plus, I exhibit & sell my quilts, which requires a high degree of whatever the powers that be decree as "professionalism."
Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #398
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
By the way, my walking foot has rusted from disuse. All you need for free-motion quilting is a circle foot, of which there are a variety (and then leave yer feed dogs down).
Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #399
2 Rivet Member

Anacortes , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Imgreenfield, some of my friends and I are beginning to handquilt, starting with some small practice pieces and soon moving on to some old quilt tops that belong to one friend. Because the tops are older, she wants hand rather than machine quilting and we all agreed to become her quilting circle to get them done. Since we've all been practicing, we should have fairly uniform stitches, or so we hope. How do you do your quilting? Do you have a large frame or work with hoops? Do you use a thimble?Your illustration is wonderful ~G
What fun to work on that project together! I'm sure it will be lovely! I own a beautiful, wonderful, fantastic cherry quilt frame that my wonderful husband made for me years ago....from a cherry log, I kid you not. It is a work of art! Be that as it may, I do my hand quilting on a round hoop - haven't ever gotten the hang of changing angles and directions and maintaining an even stitch on either an oval hoop or the full-size frame. That is my goal for when I retire, to learn to use that lovely frame for actual quilting, and not just for displaying quilts. Re: the uniform stitches - I find that even if the stitch length varies from person to person, if the stitches themselves are of even length in a given section of quilting, some variation in overall quilting is not so noticeable. What is noticeable is if stitch length in a section/line of quilting is very uneven. Wish I could join you all in that joint quilting effort. BTW, my name is Liga (middle initial M, last name Greenfield, therefore: lmgreenfield.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #400
2 Rivet Member

Anacortes , Washington
Forgot you asked about the thimble - yes, I use a plastic thimble that is open on one side and adjustable in size, so fingernail can stick out, which can be useful at times. I also use two finger cots (one on thumb, one on forefinger of the quilting hand), which helps grip the needle for pulling through the material once you have several stitches loaded on the needle. If you haven't already figured this out, the quilting will be easier and more uniform if you use Quilting Betweens (I like a size 9 or 10) rather than rather sewing needles. Quilting Betweens are shorter, very sharp, and therefore easier to maneuver in a way that gives those nice even stitches.

Tags
quilting