Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #267
Certainly Blessed
 
rebelstand's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,791
I have a confession to make. I finally took the time to get acquainted with my featherweight....OH MY! What a difference! Why did I wait so long? I only had to rethread my needle a few times. There was a lot less time spent fighting the machine. The actual sewing was pain free and I enjoyed using my featherweight.

And I got over my fear of scratching off the decals too when my husband pointed out "If the paint and decals chip off, I'll paint it silver or polish it up to match the Airstream".

And I finally redid the front gaucho covers. Let me just say, "

Paula you are so right about the plastic sewing machines!"

I am now on the look out for the 306K. Then I can banish the 9410 to Goodwill.....
__________________

__________________
Nicki

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #268
Rivet Master
 
maxandgeorgia's Avatar
 
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,610
Nikki, I returned my featherweight to its PO so she could do some adjustment to the bobbin winding system, but I've had just enough taste of sewing with it to want it back NOW! For piecing or simple forward/reverse sewing, it's the best thing I know of since sliced bread, as the old saying goes. I love all the things I can do with my big $$$ Bernina, but I love this little Featherweight just as much for what it does so well. I'll be using it "on out!" ~G
__________________

__________________
maxandgeorgia
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #269
Certainly Blessed
 
rebelstand's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
Nikki, I returned my featherweight to its PO so she could do some adjustment to the bobbin winding system, but I've had just enough taste of sewing with it to want it back NOW! For piecing or simple forward/reverse sewing, it's the best thing I know of since sliced bread, as the old saying goes. I love all the things I can do with my big $$$ Bernina, but I love this little Featherweight just as much for what it does so well. I'll be using it "on out!" ~G
One thing I could live without but won't...the Bobbin Winder. Best $25.00 I have ever spent. I buy two spools of thread and use one just for the bobbin winder. Trust me, with the complexness of remembering how to properly thread my treadles (and all the models differ) this is a sanity saver.

As for the featherweight, it sewed through 4 layers of denim at times without a hitch. It was beautiful. Makes me wonder why I let it sit there for over 2 years without using it........
__________________
Nicki

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #270
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
I have a confession to make. I finally took the time to get acquainted with my featherweight....OH MY! What a difference! Why did I wait so long? I only had to rethread my needle a few times. There was a lot less time spent fighting the machine. The actual sewing was pain free and I enjoyed using my featherweight.

And I got over my fear of scratching off the decals too when my husband pointed out "If the paint and decals chip off, I'll paint it silver or polish it up to match the Airstream".

And I finally redid the front gaucho covers. Let me just say, "

Paula you are so right about the plastic sewing machines!"

I am now on the look out for the 306K. Then I can banish the 9410 to Goodwill.....
You can look for the 306K or a 319K, virtually identical except the 319K has five stitch cams built in. There are five levers on the top that you select your stitch with. Do be careful about the timing. The next generation of Singers had slant needles... these are straight up and down. They actually use a needle that is about 1/8th inch shorter than the slant needles used today, but the shorter needles are still made. Some people who sell them adjust the timing for the longer more common needles. It's very important to use the correct needle to get flawless stitching. Both of these will also use a double needle for decorative stitching. If you have the wrong length single needle it might work, the wrong double will generally mess up very badly very quickly (large hairball of tangled thread around the bobbin. A seam ripper and long tweezers are generally needed to undo the mess.

There are several on e-bay right now but I know an nice man locally who's looking for one me that won't cost $300. Mom bought hers new for about $100 when I was in elementary school.

BTW, I never realized until I started checking E-Bay that these models came in more than one color. Most 306's were tan, but they also come in black. Most 319's are green, but they too come in black.


Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #271
Rivet Master
 
Jezibels's Avatar
 
1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 511
Images: 2
Anyone currently working on any Christmas Quilts / Gifts?

On a side note: I need to make two Christmas quilts for gifts...and I have not even started to piece them but at least I have all my fabrics cut.
__________________
Happy Trails!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #272
R n B
 
King O D Road's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
1961 24' Tradewind
Ephrata , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 84
Featherwights of a different color

Mind if I butt in? The Green and Tan (also white) were made for the Canadian and UK markets. They are virtually the same machine, but the White one has a little shorter flip down table on it. There are even red and purple ones, but someone was repainting them and selling them on E-Bay. Kinda cool looking but not worth the $700-900 price he was getting. You can buy new decals if yours are in bad shape.

They are sweet little machines. Hardly anything to go wrong and easy to maintain with regular cleaning and oiling. At a quilt workshop once, there was a man who told the history of the sewing machine and since so many of us had Featherweights, he spent quite a bit of time talking about them. There is also and interesting book on them. He said the reason they are so popular for quilting, besides only weighing 13 lbs, is that they sew a truly straight stitch which our newer machines with fancy stitches do NOT even when you have them set for straight. You can figure out your machines birth date by the serial number.

I have had several of them, sold a few, and still have three at the moment. I have never paid more than $125 for any of mine. They are out there if you keep looking. I can walk into an Antique Store and smell them. The grease goes rancid and I am very sensitive to the smell. Once I had to leave a class that had several and the smell in the sewing room was really overpowering. My husband takes mine to his shop, cleans out all the old grease and re- lubes them. and checks them over. We learned the hard way not to over tighten the belt. You would think it needed to be tight, but the little buggers just don't like to run that way.

Anyway--interesting thread and I thought I would put my dollars worth in. Bonnie
__________________
King O D Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #273
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by King O D Road View Post
Mind if I butt in? The Green and Tan (also white) were made for the Canadian and UK markets. They are virtually the same machine, but the White one has a little shorter flip down table on it. There are even red and purple ones, but someone was repainting them and selling them on E-Bay. Kinda cool looking but not worth the $700-900 price he was getting. You can buy new decals if yours are in bad shape.

They are sweet little machines. Hardly anything to go wrong and easy to maintain with regular cleaning and oiling. At a quilt workshop once, there was a man who told the history of the sewing machine and since so many of us had Featherweights, he spent quite a bit of time talking about them. There is also and interesting book on them. He said the reason they are so popular for quilting, besides only weighing 13 lbs, is that they sew a truly straight stitch which our newer machines with fancy stitches do NOT even when you have them set for straight. You can figure out your machines birth date by the serial number.

I have had several of them, sold a few, and still have three at the moment. I have never paid more than $125 for any of mine. They are out there if you keep looking. I can walk into an Antique Store and smell them. The grease goes rancid and I am very sensitive to the smell. Once I had to leave a class that had several and the smell in the sewing room was really overpowering. My husband takes mine to his shop, cleans out all the old grease and re- lubes them. and checks them over. We learned the hard way not to over tighten the belt. You would think it needed to be tight, but the little buggers just don't like to run that way.

Anyway--interesting thread and I thought I would put my dollars worth in. Bonnie
Actually the tan and white (aka "celery" because it has a slight greenish tinge) were made in NJ - it's just that they were the final years of production - I think around 1955/1957. It was a style thing when black sewing machines were thought of as old fashioned. These machines also don't have most of the decorative decals. There were also two styles of decal; the earlier ones had "Celtic" decals, the later ones had "Prism" or "8" designs starting in 1953 I think. All of the 222 (freearm version) have Prism decals. There are also a lot of differences between the end cap design depending on the year. A real oddity is the "crinkle" finish which was made during WWII - something to do with war rationing.

Look on E-Bay for the 222, if you can score one of these at a yard sale or junk shop, you're in deep clover. Many more of the 222's were made in 220 for the British market, but there ARE 110's too.

There's a nice website TheFeatherweight221Factory.com

where you can get a lot of the detailed information in his monthly news releases. The gentleman who runs it really knows his stuff and does repaint a lot of models. His machines may seem overpriced, but considering that they are rebuilt it's like getting a new machine.

I agree you can find them in junk and second hand stores - some in almost new condition, but others really rough. I've had several tuned up and rebuilt, and a good rebuild is over $140, mostly labor. Only two things really go wrong - the tensioner and the bobbin housing - though the feed dogs can break too. Service manuals are available, most on CD.

Do be aware that there are a few Chinese replicas out there but the differences are pretty damn easy to spot. The quality just isn't there.

GEEEZ... you could get just as addicted to Singers as to Airstreams, couldn't you.

And don't forget those 308's and 319's for the BIG machines.

Now if you're truly obsessive/compulsive, go look on e-bay for a "fiddlehead hand crank singer" These were the VERY early sewing machines.

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:36 AM   #274
R n B
 
King O D Road's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
1961 24' Tradewind
Ephrata , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 84
I met you at Lynden this year. Looking forward to next year and doing a project. Bonnie
__________________
King O D Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #275
Certainly Blessed
 
rebelstand's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
GEEEZ... you could get just as addicted to Singers as to Airstreams, couldn't you.

Happy Thanksgiving all,

Paula
Paula,
Could? I am already addicted to both! I have four machines and they are all Singers. This thread feeds both addictions......

Happy Holidays!!
__________________
Nicki

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #276
Rivet Master
 
Minno's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,323
So where would a newbie go to get a good one at a decent price? I'm leary of Ebay since I know so little about them but I'm very curious about them since people here are so very passionate about them! Any suggestions?

Kay
__________________
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #277
Rivet Master
 
maxandgeorgia's Avatar
 
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,610
One is advertised in our local paper for $375. I found mine when talking with an instructor for an applique class I was taking. Once you prime your eyes and ears, you'll find them popping up. Happy hunting! ~G
__________________
maxandgeorgia
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #278
Rivet Master
 
Minno's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,323
These are the 2 latest "creations" from my sewing room. The spiral swirl table runner is a Christmas gift for a sister-in-law. The hardest part about that one is forking over the money for the wedge ruler you need to cut the strip sets apart! That's why I'm planning on making several.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buu 2010 2.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	116111


The paper pieced table runner is from a pattern by Judy Niemeyer. It's the most involved paper piecing I've done so far, and I love doing it. Gives you very intricate piecing with not near the amount of work you'd think it would be. It IS putsy though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table runner 2010 01.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	116112


Kay
__________________
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #279
Rivet Master
 
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 621
Kay, Those lastest projects are beautiful. After all this quilting "talk", I might just have to go look through some quilting books. Get some ideas to motivate me into sewing something. Happy Thanksgiving to all, Susan
__________________
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #280
Certainly Blessed
 
rebelstand's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,791
I am still waiting on the Wool strips from Pendleton. I decided to make 3 quilts for the A/S from them (man could we have used them at Thanksgiving!!). However, the amount I needed taxed their availability!!!
__________________

__________________
Nicki

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
quilting


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Airstreams mike001 General Repair Forum 36 06-12-2011 07:22 PM
Why are Airstreams better? tschamp Our Community 20 07-06-2010 05:40 PM
Where 'O where are the airstreams at.... till Our Community 3 02-09-2004 06:31 PM
Where were all the Airstreams? sjptak Our Community 18 06-22-2003 12:42 AM
Where are Airstreams Jenturnr Airstream Motorhome Forums 4 06-17-2003 01:44 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.