Old 09-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #15
newly aluminated

1958 22' Flying Cloud
issaquah , Washington
rag quilt

made this rag quilt a few weeks ago, and 7 pillows for our 58 flying cloud. next i will make some for the 57 shasta
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sept1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	110500   Click image for larger version

Name:	sept5.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	110501  

Name:	DSC09063.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	110502  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
58flycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post

Someone made a generator cover that looked like an Airstream hassock, (Robertsunrus?) But I haven't seen any Airstream quilts yet.
Hi, I don't know anything about making quilts; can my old regular sewing machine make them? I will show you some pictures of my Airstream foot stool / generator cover if you post some quilt pictures, done or not.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Too Cute!

The genset cover is adorable.

Regarding some of the other questions- I carry a Kenmore Mini- Ultra 3/4 machine. It is very similar to the Jem machine. Been very happy with it. Lighter and easier to store than my full sized sewing machine and a real workhorse. Sells for less than $100 and can catch it on sale for $50.

I keep my large cutting mat under the mattress of my bed. My large mat fits on the large foldout table in the living area perfectly. Makes pattern cutting alot easier than crawling around on the floor.

I also found a nifty fabric Household Essentials "sewing center" on Amazon for $20. Jo-ann's also stocks them. It is great to set my machine on and has pockets that hold scissors,etc. The padded surface is great for pressing seams. Folds and stores in my sewing bag when not in use.

The Rowenta 1000 watt compact iron is great. Heats and presses as well as a full sized iron.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
My current backup machine is a Babylock Quilters Choice2. It is OK but bigger than what I really want in a travel machine. I am looking at the Janome jem to travel with. My main machine is a Janome 7700 Horizon. LOVE it! but it is way to big to travel with or worry about it being damaged. I am in the process of re-doing our trailer. I have all new curtains made for the front area and am now starting to tackle covering the gaucho. Hubby replaced the ugly carpet with vinyl.
The bedroom is bare right now since I took the old curtains down. I am still undecided as to what to replace everything with. By spring, if all goes well there will be new curtains, quilts and pillows. Just have to find the perfect fabrics.

I have gone to Paducah the last 2 years. It is one of the largest quilt shows in the country. Lots to see (and to buy!) and to learn. The first year I took some hands on classes and loved them. Last year hubby stayed home and it was a girls trip. We stayed at a cabin on Kentucky lake. No stream because I am not yet ready to pull it by myself. Hubby thinks he wants to go again next year so we could easily have a rally. There are 2 parks in town that are even on the AQS bus route, but they both require a weeks stay. We usually just go thurs - sun so that doesn't work as well for us. But there are state parks in both Kentucky and Illinois that are close enough, a few nice COE's on the lake and a KOA, so there is alot to pick from within a 30 minute drive to the show. There is also a large quilt museum and art district in Paducah so there really is alot to do.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Mrs. Silverhoot. me too! I have a Janome 639 that I bought for portability for class at the fabric shop years ago and just bought the case from E-Bay a couple of weeks ago. For those that aren't familiar with it it is a small portable with great features and a handle to make it easy to move around. I actually like it more than my bigger machine in the house.

Attachment 110497 Attachment 110498

62Bam I love your log cabin squares. It really makes a great looking couch the way you have incorporated the quilting into the Bambi.

I saw a door banner or flag, I think in one of Silver Gate's posts and that is a project I might like to tackle. I know Lou (loudruff) makes flags and banners as well. So many of these projects enhance our Airstreams, I hardly know where to start, but there was a Welcome to the Shore project I was going to make for the door or hang near the door and make it welcome to the Door (Door County WI) because that is where we were spending the summer at the time. It was applique with the lighthouse and water and birds and sun, then patchwork border. I barely scratched the surface of that project. Oh but I love browsing quilts and quilt shops!

Mcair I might be able to do a quilt show rally next April if I plan in advance for it. Sounds fun.

Kay your decorating sounds like its going to be gorgeous. I will have to look at the Little Girl Refurb thread, that does sound familiar.

Someone made a generator cover that looked like an Airstream hassock, (Robertsunrus?) But I haven't seen any Airstream quilts yet.
I have the same bag!! I purchased my JEM pretty much for the same reason as you did. I love it and it is great when the grandkids visit! Speaking of flags and banners, I just finished this. I made a friend of mine one of these a year ago and loved it so decided to make another one for us. Our Airstream isn't ready for "travel" yet but it will be next summer (geez, I hope) and so now, I spend my time working, bucking rivets and quilting! My next project are matching quilts for the Airstream, in retro!!

Back to quilting...Have a great day and I am looking forward to meeting all you quilters in the Airstream world!

Mrs. Silverhoot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4378.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	110528  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Caravan Of Quilts

Quote:
Ask you wife if she thinks a womens's caravan to wine, cheese, and amish quilts would interest her. I wonder if a quilting rally could render unique squares and fellowship and make a friendship quilt of airstreamers from all over.

You might just get me to a quilting rally! What a wonderful idea! Of course I am limited due to the children's school schedule!

maybe even produce a quilt for charities...

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
OOH, something I could acturally AFFORD??!!??? I'll have to check that Janome Jem out. I've heard about Featherweights, but never actually seen one. I'm a ways from retirement (or it feels like it right now, anyway - 9 - 10 years depending on the economy) so I have time.
I made a wallhanging for my parents Airstream a number of years ago, and have it back now that they are no longer owners. I'll have to take a picture of it and post. It was at the time that I was doing a lot of machine satin-stitch applique and wasn't into quilting much yet. I was thinking the other day that I would love to put together an Airstream paperpieced wall quilt - getting the actual brain power to think it through and draw it is the problem!
Has anyone seen patterns for Airstream related stuff?

Kay
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Ideas For Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
I've heard about Featherweights, but never actually seen one. I'm a ways from retirement (or it feels like it right now, anyway - 9 - 10 years depending on the economy) so I have time.

I was thinking the other day that I would love to put together an Airstream paperpieced wall quilt - getting the actual brain power to think it through and draw it is the problem!
Has anyone seen patterns for Airstream related stuff?

Kay
For featherweights, first check craigslist for your local area. Check garage sales. Check Goodwill Stores and they have an online auction site and more than once a Featherweight has come up. I got mine off Craigslist, with a Singer Treadle for less than $100 from a bitter ex-husband who just wanted to get rid of it. As well as three bags of unused clothing fabric, which I donated. I sold the treadle (I already had two) and actually made a profit on my purchase.

I could have a few ideas on the Airstream wall quilt. There is a site online that I buy 1 inch hexes from that has all different shapes.

Welcome

You could literally purchase the shapes you needed to create your AS pattern.

If anyone is interested here is the link that I post my crafting pictures on for friends to view.

http://capriciouscrafting.blogspot.com/

Warning - there is a bit of cross posting if I do something for the A/S that can be considered crafting.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #23
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
I have a current project that is a hand pieced hexagon quilt and 99% is already cut out. So I have not actually taken any quilting tools out besides a needle, thread, and scissors. Our longest trip so far has been 3 days, so I would be interested to find out what everyone's must have quilt tools for a long trip is.

Loved the storage of the rotary mat under the bed... particularly as I didn't think I could find room for one.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Be careful buying featherweights (or any old Singer). Singers were made by the millions and were very tough machines. There are lots of them out there in all shapes, sizes and conditions. Do not let craigslist and ebay sellers convince you that they are rare. They are not, but I have seen some ridiculous ads lately trying to sell them for hundreds of $$. Parts and service are still available all over the country from sewing repair shops. I bought a 1927 model 99 portable with the curved wooded case for $15. It needs work but will be a nice machine again if I ever get around to doing it.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
You might just get me to a quilting rally! What a wonderful idea! Of course I am limited due to the children's school schedule!

maybe even produce a quilt for charities...
I wonder if we can make our squares, one for each participant and one for the charity quilt while we wait for April then join or exchange them at the rally. I would love to go to the Paducah Quilt Show! I may have passed the general area and stopped at a museum of crafts once while traveling, nice exhibit. The biggest quilt show sounds like sensory overload and I will gladly jam all my circuits for the cause, ooooo!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Mrs. Silverhoot I love the Americana square and Kay I have been thinking about runners or wall hangings, even place mats. 58Flycloud i like the rag quilt. I don't think I have seen one like that it's great in the Airstream. How are the pieces joined? I just want to run my hand across it it looks so comfy!!! Bob thanks for posting your very ingenious project. It came out so cool, no one would ever guess there is a generator inside.

I carry a cutting mat which is padded for ironing on the reverse side and a portable iron too. The mat gets hung up against the wall in the closet. I carry a zippered craft binder with various supplies and my crochet and knitting needle sets.

I will try to post a few projects of mine to show soon. I love this thread! Oh a pun.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Sensory overload is only the beginning. There is also wallet draining, sore feet and lots of drooling over things you can't afford. Start your training program now and bring your most comfortable shoes. It is a BIG show with LOTS of walking. If you want to take any of the classes (highly recommended!) sign up for them as soon as they open registration. They fill up fast. They are a little pricey ($80 for an all day workshop, about $50 for 1/2 day) but alot of fun and you get to use top of the line machines all day. Usually the class rooms are stocked with Bernina's, Pfaff's and Janome's. And they will try all day long to sell you that nice machine you are using. The deal is usually sweetened about every 2 hours, so if you are tempted, wait until the end of the day to commit. The only problem is that you don't know which machines are in the room until you get there, but if you can find out the instructors favorite brand, that is usually what is there. I am not in the market now since I just got my new Janome a few weeks ago, so I won't be tempted. The schedule and registration are usually open in mid December.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #28
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Too Many Machines???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
Sensory overload is only the beginning. There is also wallet draining, sore feet and lots of drooling over things you can't afford. Start your training program now and bring your most comfortable shoes. It is a BIG show with LOTS of walking.

I am not in the market now since I just got my new Janome a few weeks ago, so I won't be tempted.
First... sensory overload is wonderful if your at a Quilt Show. I just love walking through it all. However, this one sounds bigger than any I've been to before.

As for not being on the markets.... hmmm, is five too many machines to have?

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
quilting