Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Pulling slow...

How do you guys do it? I'm a little high strung...or anxious to get where im aiming. Guess it has to do with time constraints because of working. I just can't slow down. I find myself at 80 plus sometimes. I don't even realize it...maybe it's the power of my truck,..might be in my blood, just don't know.

I am planning a repair trip to the Mothership at the end of this month. My appointment is on a Monday...I'm going to leave Saturday morning and gonna try and not go over 65 mph the whole way. 1100 mile journey. Just me no wife,dog or son......I was gonna leave early Sunday morning and do it in one day, but gona try and see if there is a huge fuel price difference.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
How do you guys do it? I find myself at 80 plus sometimes. I don't even realize it...maybe it's the power of my truck.

Back in the 50's this 180HP, 1955 Merc towed this Airstream over 90MPH.

Today our 260HP V6 family sedan with Airstream in tow could do the same but we don't.

I think you need to step up to the plate and just simply drive responsibly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merc.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	151214  
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
As they say Shane, drive like hell and you will get there.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
How do you guys do it? I'm a little high strung...or anxious to get where im aiming. Guess it has to do with time constraints because of working. I just can't slow down. I find myself at 80 plus sometimes. I don't even realize it...maybe it's the power of my truck,..might be in my blood, just don't know.

I am planning a repair trip to the Mothership at the end of this month. My appointment is on a Monday...I'm going to leave Saturday morning and gonna try and not go over 65 mph the whole way. 1100 mile journey. Just me no wife,dog or son......I was gonna leave early Sunday morning and do it in one day, but gona try and see if there is a huge fuel price difference.

Shane
I've only had one 400 mile trip so far, but my approach was pretty simple. I started out being paranoid of everyone else and hitting something, and then I decided that while I am towing the trailer I am in a completely different "zone". I am going to hang out with the truckers in the right lane, put on some tunes, and set the cruise control at 60 mph (55mph limit in California).

When I drive without the trailer, my approach depends heavily on the conditions and watching others. Open stretch of road, I have no problem hitting 80+. LA city limits, not very far above the speed limit. People are stupid and crazy and I don't trust them.

When I drive offroad, I know the limits of my vehicle and am in yet a third zone. In fact, offroad driving has been great for me because I really know much better obstacle avoidance on the freeways as a result, just because I have learned exactly where my underbody is and how the forces affect the vehicle.

Of course, if you are towing in no wind, daylight, no cars around, with high visibility, then go as fast as you want.

Just my 2cents.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Shane,
That's my kind of trip when on a mission. Sooner than later, though. As we are talkin' $5/gallon for gas in some parts before too long.
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
I get what you guys are saying..I'm gonna go slow to Ohio!

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I know what your saying Shane! Going out Im good with planning on 50 miles per hour of travel. This allows me to drive about 60 to 65 MPH and stop as we please for rest stops. Thats on the way out. We drive about 5 or 6 hours a day total. Thats on the way out.
On the way home I find myself traveling 70 MPH or better and driving for 12 to 14 hours a day. Im trying to learn that Im on vacation and slow down. Ill never understand why Im in a hurry to get back home and back to work. Heres to learning better habits

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Shane, it's tough. I own an Airstream and tow vehicle combo that cruises very happily and securely at 75, and I daily drive some fast cars on occasion.

But I admit that there can be a certain zen-like relaxation to putting along at the limit. Let other people do what they want. Maybe entertain yourself by seeing how good fuel economy you can get.

That said, there are times when getting out of what looks like a messy situation is needed. So try for 65, but use the power only when it's needed...

Note: These concepts sound good when typed. Any resemblance to reality is purely coincidence.

Best of luck at the mothership. I hope the trailer gets repaired to your satisfaction.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I drive 150miles per day on my normal commute on back roads so my speeds are often 80-90mph so I have a lead foot. At times I have caught myself pulling the stream at 80 not realizing it. I obviously slow down when I notice.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
If I read this right, you are going to (slow down?) and drive only 550 miles a day if your appointment is Monday morning. I do know from experience that a job rudely interrupts real life, but, in my opinion you need to slowly work yourself from destination oriented to journey oriented. I couldn't do it when working either, but now a 550 mile trip would take me 3 or 4 days with detours for exploring.
I had to hurry so much at work that I had to force myself to slow down on my time. For me, the destination is the excuse for going, and I sometimes never reach the planned destination because the journey is so much more interesting.
Try setting a close destination and take your time getting there. You may like it. Or, then again, you may not.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Always a contrary bugger, I get my almost Zen like pleasure from going slowly and seeing if I can maintain an even pace. Up here in the great white north, the speed limit (when it's enforced) is 62mph. My trailer tires are rated to 65mph max. I pull the trailer for pleasure. Why would I want to go faster?

(Cover your eyes, my halo is GLOWING!)

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
If I read this right, you are going to (slow down?) and drive only 550 miles a day if your appointment is Monday morning. I do know from experience that a job rudely interrupts real life, but, in my opinion you need to slowly work yourself from destination oriented to journey oriented. I couldn't do it when working either, but now a 550 mile trip would take me 3 or 4 days with detours for exploring.
I had to hurry so much at work that I had to force myself to slow down on my time. For me, the destination is the excuse for going, and I sometimes never reach the planned destination because the journey is so much more interesting.
Try setting a close destination and take your time getting there. You may like it. Or, then again, you may not.
Sam
I'm gonna leave Saturday about 5:00 am and drive till dark.?..or longer...

Knowing me I'll be in Ohio before I stop and rest...but I will go slow....not faster than 65mph is my goal,..no matter what.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Shane,

Look at it this way..... about 17hrs driving time with 31 hrs of rest time, no problem.

Bob
Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Part of the reason for towing more slowly...around 60-65 mph is good...is that typically trailer tries are simply not built for high speeds with the loads they bear. You'll also find that you have better mileage. So it is safer to keep the speed down. We had a blowout going around 65 and it was bad enough. I can't imagine what might have happened at 75 or 80...Going slower is a good thing, even though it's hard when you're used to barreling through...try it...you might like it!

Towing in CA is always interesting...as noted above, the speed limit in CA while towing is 55 mph...the last time we were there on our way to San Diego, I could have sworn we were the only ones trying to follow that speed limit. And I can tell you that we got VERY nervous when — while heading up the mountains east of SD — we saw gigantic 40+ foot fifth wheels coming at us at what must have been 80 mpg downhill. There was no way they could have stopped that thing if they needed to...I don't care HOW big their truck is. We were always relieved when they had passed...

Enjoy your trip!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Part of the reason for towing more slowly...around 60-65 mph is good...is that typically trailer tries are simply not built for high speeds with the loads they bear. You'll also find that you have better mileage. So it is safer to keep the speed down.
I was just making that point to someone earlier this evening. Anyway, it matters not what others think or do, 60-65 mph is all I'm going to do.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, there are a few ways to think about your speed especially while towing. Speed limit is 55 MPH in California, but the traffic, for those who are supposed to do 55 MPH, usually are doing about 65 MPH. And that is what I usually do. Occasionally I will hit 70 MPH, mostly in other states, but no faster. Then there is the cost factor. How much more fuel am I burning? What will my speeding ticket cost me? How much will my insurance company increase my policy price when they find out about the speeding tickets? At 80+ MPH versus 70- MPH, how long will it take me to stop this thing?, How many times will it roll if I lose control of it?, And how many more people will, or could be, hurt at the higher speeds?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I live in California where, as noted we have a 55 mph limit for trucks and trailers, and pull trailers at 55-62 mph. We get about 14 mpg on the flats.
This seems like a fine way to travel, and the miles just click by. I'm not the slowest person on the road, since we maintain that speed on hills. I've done a 900 mile day pulling the trailer (17 hours); I was definitely ready to stop driving by then.

Some quick calculations:

Our truck weighs 7400 lbs w/ us aboard; the airstream is prob. close to 4750 lbs... at 60 mph, that's 1.47 million foot lbs of energy, or about 600 30-06 rifle bullets. At 80 mph, it's 2.6 million foot lbs - nearly twice as much. As I mentioned, we get 14 mpg at 60 mph... that's 4.29 gallons/hr, or about 61 hp. To drive 80 mph would take about 145 hp; we'd be burning about 10 gallons/hr and getting (obviously) 8 mpg.

So, at say $4.00 gal for diesel, traveling 200 miles at 60 mph costs
$57.14 and takes 3 hours, 20 minutes. At 80 mph, that number is $100 and it takes 2 hours, 30 minutes. That 50 minutes costs you $42 in increased fuel consumption!

Note also that all but the simplest stability equations for trailers have velocity-related terms - in other words, the faster you go, the more likely you are to have sway problems.

Slow down, and be safer, spend less, and arrive less stressed at your destination.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We tend to pull Lucy at around 65mph, conditions permitting. She very often slips up into the 70/75mph range on the open Interstate. We have now pulled Lucy 90,000 miles with two gasoline Suburbans and now a diesel pick-up. I have not found any appreciable fuel mileage benefit at lower speeds.

On our current tour of Florida, I did a mileage comparison between pulling at 60mph and at 70mph. There was only a .2mpg difference.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We tend to pull Lucy at around 65mph, conditions permitting. She very often slips up into the 70/75mph range on the open Interstate. We have now pulled Lucy 90,000 miles with two gasoline Suburbans and now a diesel pick-up. I have not found any appreciable fuel mileage benefit at lower speeds.

On our current tour of Florida, I did a mileage comparison between pulling at 60mph and at 70mph. There was only a .2mpg difference.

Brian
What mileage are you getting?

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I have always enjoyed and owned Corvettes or English roadsters and of coarse Harley Davidsons and other cop magnets. After my share of speeding tickets I learned to never drive in the left lane and always make sure somebody is going faster than I am. No tickets in over thirty years.

When I was working going on vacation meant driving straight through leaving Friday night after work. Many trips from L.A. to Washington State. Vacations were spent somewhere rather than getting there and back.

In 1986 I bought the first of my antique automobiles, a 1926 Model T Ford. I suddenly learned the joy of travel at 45 mph. Our first tour was three weeks after we bought the Model T. It took a week and was about 800 miles from L.A. to Ensenada to San Felipe to Mexicali to San Diego and back to L.A. We traveled with about twenty other Model T's and consumed way too many Margaritas. We had a ball. Since then we have driven over 30,000 miles in a Model T and have over a dozen antique cars out in the shop. You would be amazed how much more you see when you slow down a bit.

Now that I'm retired long days driving are a thing of the past. I drive at the speed limit or 2 or 3 miles over and stay to the right except to pass. In the Airstream 63 to 65 mph is fine. I do gain a little speed as we get near the campground especially if we are a little late and I'm getting hungry.

No doubt age, family and job status and many other things enter into the picture but travel in the slow lane has a lot going for it.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is online now   Reply With Quote