Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Shane, Shane, Shane - how do I know in my heart you're going to listen and try to change, and then pull that trailer like a bat outta' hell to Jackson Center?

By the way - hope they honor that gift certificate when you get there!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Posts like this are gonna help me.....

I feel as if I am in therapy session......

Hello, my name is Shane and I am a lead foot.

Shane

Funny!

Sometimes you have to take a couple of deep. slow breaths and consciously force yourself to do what you are not accustomed to doing.

It becomes easier with practice.

Maggie

Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #31
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
DW toes on a regular basis...won't trust the cruise, so that's my JOB.

Finally on a cross-country she realized it was better to use it than listen to my rant's about slowing down...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Shane
Years ago when I had a truck company in Europe we had a saying that the penalty for being late was not as severe as being hurt or being dead. Slow down and live. The life you save just might be your own.
John
Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #33

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
The slower we go, the more people get to pass us, and many give us a thumbs up as they pass. The joy I get from their admiring stares makes it totally worth slowing down a bit.
We go 60-ish. Funny thing though. We get the single digit wave too, but its usually not the thumb.

Keep wondering why all these friendly folks on the roads don't use all their fingers when they wave.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #34

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have a very good car, and I learned shortly after getting it that in good conditions the car and I agree on a cruising speed quite a bit above the legal max (and indeed still well above the Texas "fudge factor" where a DPS trooper will usually ignore you if you look like you're not causing trouble.) Cruise control helps me keep the Legacy down in the range where I don't lose all that time I was gaining (by driving faster) while waiting for John Law to write up a citation.

Before we got the Argosy I had learned (on these forums) about the speed rating of trailer tires, and was a little worried that it would be hard to stick to speeds that were "reasonable and proper" for Airstream travel. Like many who posted before me in this thread, I've found that it's not really that hard in practice. I *DO* use the cruise control in the truck, and I've found that I really like the way Ford programmed the transmission to behave on cruise. It rewards an involved driver... if you dial up a little more torque with the pedal before the truck starts to slow on a hill, it'll stay in 4th longer, and come out of "lock-up" without downshifting, etc. All these little details I found in my quest to stick to 65mph.

So far, I think the only times I've exceeded 70mph while towing have been when passing (a rare event indeed!) and I haven't had to put any real effort into keeping the speed down... it's truly a state-of-mind thing.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post

The slower we go, the more people get to pass us, and many give us a thumbs up as they pass. The joy I get from their admiring stares makes it totally worth slowing down a bit.
SO TRUE Brad!!!

Especially with a vintage tow vehicle...but then we probably couldn't go much over the limit anyways!

When we tow with a modern tow vehicle...we use cruise control to keep the slower pace.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (2) of IMG_0378.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	151245  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #36
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Gonna do the cruise control thing also,...but from what I understand that hurts the mpg a little.

60 mph.....here I come.

Leaving Saturday next week.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My truck has a 5 speed manual transmission. When towing I shift no higher than 4th especially when using cruise control. In 5th with cruise control on, every time you approach the slightest hill the throttle goes all the way to the floor trying to keep the speed set. I find I get better mileage in 4th. The engine doesn't lug down on the hills like in 5th. I don't use cruise that often and never drive above 65mph, most of the time it's right at 60mph.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #38
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
My truck has a 5 speed manual transmission. When towing I shift no higher than 4th especially when using cruise control. In 5th with cruise control on, every time you approach the slightest hill the throttle goes all the way to the floor trying to keep the speed set. I find I get better mileage in 4th. The engine doesn't lug down on the hills like in 5th. I don't use cruise that often and never drive above 65mph, most of the time it's right at 60mph.

Interesting...my truck has a manual mode or I can actually lock out a gear.

Might try that.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Speed up, Shane, as long as you can afford new tires and don't mind 8 miles per gallon and maybe handling the aftereffects of tire blowouts since ALL trailer tires are only rated to 65 mph. Sometimes I've wondered about the people who complain about Goodyear Marathon tires. Do they drive over 70 and then complain because the tires fail? Shane, do you use Goodyear Marathons?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Cruise control worked for me, so I figure I'll keep on using it. I seemed to get better mileage with it too. I can't get into 5th gear without lugging the engine, so I'm a 4th gear vehicle too. That helps a bit. Without the trailer, I'm a "7 miles over the speed limit" kind of person, um, unless I'm in a hurry or bored or hungry or...

Well, actually, I'm a lead foot too. 7 miles over the speed limit is where I set the cruise control.

But not with the trailer. I go about 60-65, preferably 60. The only trouble is that when the speed limit is 55, I find myself still going 60, so cruise control is my friend there too.

But it IS nice giving oneself extra days to get somewhere. You get to stop more often, meet up with more people, take more pictures.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Drive slower than you think you need too

That is safest way. There will be times when you will be just fine on open highway with few cars on roads. Was driving my rear wheel drive bimmer to AZ at night going 80 plus up to 110. Well one big rigs dropped it's steel bumper in road. I had no reaction time at all went right over it. Any less of car fwd would have had serious problems or trailer in tow. Nothing happened but there are times to go fast and times to drive safe. Allow lots of room for car in front of you. Problem I have is diesel jeep can not go 60 just upshifts to 5th overdrive even 65 is hard to do she wants 70. Pulling a trailer doing 70 is as safe newer Porshe doing 155. Not everyone owns 2011 ford 350 super. Is that rated at 700lbs torque?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
Speed up, Shane, as long as you can afford new tires and don't mind 8 miles per gallon and maybe handling the aftereffects of tire blowouts since ALL trailer tires are only rated to 65 mph. Sometimes I've wondered about the people who complain about Goodyear Marathon tires. Do they drive over 70 and then complain because the tires fail? Shane, do you use Goodyear Marathons?
I get 13 mpg going 75-80.

I really don't know what tires are on my stream.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432