Old 02-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Pulling one With T4R

Hello.

I am considering getting into A/Streaming and I have always thought a Bambi Sport would be what I would pull with my 2016 T4R, mostly because it is the lightest one. I attended an RV show recently and I like the Nest, which is heavier, and I also kind of like the Base Camp.

Your recommendation if you pull with a T4R, please.

Thanks

Fazad

Farzad_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
People on these forums generally don't speak in acronyms or initials, unless it has to do with Airstream trailers or motor homes. More relevant responses will be had if you ask your question without potential responders having to Google what you just asked.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzad_k View Post
Hello.

I am considering getting into A/Streaming and I have always thought a Bambi Sport would be what I would pull with my 2016 T4R, mostly because it is the lightest one. I attended an RV show recently and I like the Nest, which is heavier, and I also kind of like the Base Camp.

Your recommendation if you pull with a T4R, please.

Thanks

Fazad

Well, I have a Toyota 4Runner and I had to Google T4R to see what it was.
If you Google "2016 Toyota 4Runner specifications" you'll get a link to the Toyota press room where there is a PDF. Towing capacity and trailer maximum weight are 5,000 lbs. Hitch weight maximum is 500 lbs. Now you can compare the various weights for the Airstream you'd like to purchase.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Using the new search function in the blue box above [desktop version of this site], these "Toyota 4Runner tow vehicle" results show many posts available here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Toyo...=airforums.com

. . . many of which are in the Tow Vehicles sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
The T4R doesn't get the best marks for towing in the upper part of its capacity compared to some other more road oriented SUVs. This is on account of its body-on-frame construction, higher center of gravity, shorter wheelbase to overhang ratio, and generally softer suspension for off-road articulation and performance.

Not to say it can't tow. Quite the contrary as it's a very capable and hugely durable tow vehicle, that is the preferred tow vehicle in many other countries like Australia for boon docking and off-road adventure trailers. The T4R is also known as the Prado Land Cruiser.

As mentioned earlier, it's slinky suspension is not ideal for higher weight and higher speed towing and can be a point of lesser stability.

That said, as long as you understand it's trades, you can more than easily rectify them for great towing even into the upper ranges.

It's critical to have a good anti-sway/WD hitch. With ball kept as near to the rear bumper as possible. I'd say this is a great vehicle to pair with a pivot point projection type hitch like the Pro-pride. Whatever hitch, it's also critical to have enough WD tension to return weight to the front axle.

Back to the soft suspension. This is also an opportunity to use airbags, not so much to reduce sag, but to increase the spring rate at the rear to enhance dynamic stability, utilizing moderate pressures (e.g. 10psi).

It's critical when setting up to always set the airbag PSI first, then dial in the WD tension after. Doing it in reverse has the effect of reducing WD tension when adding more air. A bad thing.

Loved my '05 V8 T4R. There's not many better real SUV's in my mind - all the rest being soft CUVs that aren't really capable in the rough.
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lynnwood , Washington
Thanks everyone for all the great information and guidance. I will have to remember the acronym usage and try and minimize the usage. I also looked at the threads tha have discussed the same ideas.

Almost everyone says they have used a v8 4Runner. I don’t think they make them anymore except their Lexus counterpart can be v8. Maybe the v6 in the newer ones (mine is a 2016) I as powerful as the older v8s were.

I will look in my area for a place or a dealer that is capable of upgrading mine for serious towing. I definitely will also plan on using the right wheels as well.

Farzad
Farzad_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzad_k View Post
Almost everyone says they have used a v8 4Runner. I donít think they make them anymore except their Lexus counterpart can be v8. Maybe the v6 in the newer ones (mine is a 2016) I as powerful as the older v8s were.

Farzad

They stopped making the V8 4Runner in early 2009, I believe, definitely stopped in the 4th generation. That 4Runner and yours are very different. The V8s have a 7,000 lb. towing capacity, 700 lb. hitch capacity and many have the X-REAS crossover shock absorbers. I pull my 23' Safari with no problems, very capable tow vehicle, but 23' is the limit, mostly for power on the hills.

The 4th gen 4Runner and the Lexus GX series were made on the same line at the Tahara plant in Japan and shared many of the same components. I think the Lexus GX470 had a slightly less towing capacity than the 4Runner but I'd recommend checking the specs to be sure. The current GX460 has a 4.6 L engine but develops more HP than the old V8 4Runner and about the same amount of torque. Towing capacity is 4,600 lbs. but I couldn't find the maximum tongue weight, less than 700 lbs. I'm sure.

You can find the specs for all of the Airstreams at the Airstream site, old and new models. Here is a link for 2018 and older.

https://www.airstream.com/owners/doc...ve/product/tt/

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote