Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I was a burn nurse for 3 years, this story is why I am pulling all gas out of my AS and going strictly electric. I know this is a big trade off but I am petrified of gas.

The Silver Queen
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
I was a burn nurse for 3 years, this story is why I am pulling all gas out of my AS and going strictly electric. I know this is a big trade off but I am petrified of gas.
An old feller once told be, Ya can smell gas, that darn 'lectricity will fry ya without warnin'

Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tuesday Night

Talk about a timely thread. Tuesday night I went home and br-r-r-r-r it was cold inside my Airstream. It was 22 degrees and I had left my heatpump on, but I knew it wouldn't work at that temperature. I had also NOT put on my heat taped and insulated water line (just pure lazy). So, I switched to "furnace" and nothing happened. Then I looked at the light for the water heater... there it was "ON" which means NO PROPANE. Then I remembered the newer Airstreams have a heatpump that automatically shifts to furnace if it's too cold to pull heat from the atmosphere. So my unit had turned the furnace on and run out all of the propane in the bottles.

Fortunately I do have two small spare tanks, and I actually had warm water still in the water heater so it hadn't been out long enough to freeze the internal water lines. Well I went out to switch the tanks.. then stopped and turned off the water heater and the furnace controls. (REMEMBERED THIS THREAD and didn't want to fall down and go BOOM!). Once I switched the tanks, I lighted the stovetop to make sure I had good flow, and got any air out of the lines, then relighted the water heater and turned on the furnace. Then I finished putting new insulation on the heated white hose, found my extension cord, and hooked up the new hose. Had to wait a few minutes for the spigot to thaw, then I had water again.

Of course I was just hoping that two half empty 20 lb tanks would last the night. The next morning I got my 30's refilled - and the temperature started rising to a high of 66.

Some ODD weather, no? Anyway thanks for the timely reminder.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #18
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Frankly, I think that electrical fires in RVs are much more common than propane explosions. This does bring to mind an incident twenty-five or so years ago (pre-cell phone) in Anza Borrego State Park in east San Diego County... I saw a dense column of smoke in a primitive area, and turned the Jeep that way. When I got there two or three minutes later, I found some dazed folks standing around a woman with some slight burns and a 30' motorhome burned to the ground.

It seems that the woman had caught the bacon grease on fire in the pan on the stove. Rather than grabbing a lid to smother it, she tried to carry it outside from the galley, burning herself in the process, and dripping burning grease the length of the coach.

Naturally, the coach went up like a Roman candle. Fortunately, her burns were relatively minor and there were no other injuries, but the coach chassis was literally merely a smoldering cinder resting on the ground in less than five minutes.

Moral? I dunno. Maybe don't eat bacon? The moral is that we live in a dangerous world with dangerous stuff. To assume otherwise is to court disaster even in the most mundane circumstances. Semper Vigilans!

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Graham , North Carolina
for everyone that read or responded to this tread, the people that were burned in the explosion came home from the burn center today. 15th of Feb.
They are still doing therapy, but are going to recover.
Thanks for the responces
"AIR 17559"

wear it out, don't rust it out

jpeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Explosions? Bacon grease fires? Hmm.... maybe I'll pull out the gas AND electric.

My new checklist will consist of several sweaters, a couple of flashlights and lots of peanut butter sandwiches!
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
propane safety

I drove a propane-powered school bus for 8 yrs; we had about 20 in the fleet. no fires or explosions!! A bus garage in central MN burned to the ground a few yrs ago; all the gasoline- powered buses exploded. none of the propane-powered bus tanks exploded, even though they all burned down to the chassis! Good training and awareness are essential! BTW, up here, propane can freeze in the fuel line, but right now , it's shorts weather-30*
joe q

joqin is offline   Reply With Quote