Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Red face Promise not to laugh- it was quite scary!!!!

I had a traumatic experience in the Airstream yesterday. I have been busy getting the 1961 Overlander ready for vacation (we leave Thursday). I was wiping down all the woodwork with Murphy's oil and I was inside the rear wardrobe working on this when the wardrobe door shut on me. I heard the latch click and quickly started to freak-out when I realized I was locked inside the closet. Andy had just left for work and wouldn't be home for hours! Our 3 month old son was in the house napping with all 4 dogs. If I had kept my wits about me I could have used the iPhone in my pocket to update my facebook status or send someone and email- it was picking up the house's wifi but not a cell signal to call with. Instead I quickly became claustrophobic (it's only 2x2x4.5' )!! I used my arm and upper body to slam against the inside of the door. I expected the 50 year old latch to give out after a hit or two. It took me over a 1/2 hour to get out and it was the screws on the latch that finally striped from the wood!! My arm is all bruised up now- Nothing like a legacy trailer to hold up like that after 50 years of use!! I had nightmares last night about being trapped in a coffin- coincidence? SO here is your fair warning to not ever get trapped in your trailer's closet! Here are pics- the first of the closet (there wasn't anything in it yet) and the second of the latch and the screws that finally gave!

One day I will tell my son about how I was getting the trailer ready for his first Airstreaming trip when I got caught inside for over 1/2 hour and he slept obliviously in the house through the whole event.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.PNG
Views:	66
Size:	602.5 KB
ID:	106748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	626.5 KB
ID:	106749  

April & Andy Hershberger
3streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I had a doorknob fail in a bathroom in my apartment once and ended up smashing my way out.

Scary stuff.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
This is scary, esp. in the summer heat!
Good story for his scrapbook!
Happy Trails!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thanks for the chuckle!

Nothing like coming out of the closet
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Drink more beer,you'll never make it in in the first place.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I got trapped in a flat tent I was cleaning out....... Don't ask.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
1988 34' Excella
Troy , Texas
Very early one morning at a rally, my husband got up early and decided to go outside the trailer to enjoy the morning. He pushed on the door latch and it broke off in his hand....and we were locked in our trailer! I was still in bed and thought it was quite amusing, because I figured that a little later I could call one of the other members at the rally to help us get out. You know how Airstreamers are...prepared for anything! Anyway, my husband did not take it as well as I did and began searching the trailer for something to use to open the trailer door. His tools were, of course, in the toolbox OUTSIDE the trailer.....but after a very frantic and thorough search of the trailer we found a pair of pliers that he had been using to repair the air conditioner the week before and had not returned to the toolbox...thank goodness. He used the pliers to turn what was left of the handle and we were soon out. This in no way compares to the panic that you must have felt knowing you could not get to your son, but it was a little scary for us AND it was also a learning experience. We now have a small assortment of tools that we keep INSIDE the trailer for such emergencies. This would not have helped you in the closet, but I wanted to share this with you since you seem to have some older trailers and we have heard from other Airstreamers that handles breaking off in your hands is quite common. Good luck and glad that all turned out fine...except for the bruises.
excella88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm laughing so hard there are tears in my eyes, but it's really pretty scary. I'm terribly claustrophobic and probably wouldn't have handled this near as well as you.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Now that it's all over- I am laughing about the ordeal! Andy tells me today he had called while I was locked in and was perturbed that I hadn't answered. Adding fix the closet door to the "To Do" list before we take off!!
April & Andy Hershberger
Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Try i n g.. n o t to l a u g h...

glad you are ok, could have been worse, could have been in a nightgown.. Maybe DW will chime in..
See our blog here on how two RV/AS rookies tackle a 1979 Sovereign resto!!

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
reminds me of old abandoned refrigerators........I think I would replace the knob with a friction latch, one you can pull hard and it will open...
Favorite Bumper sticker:
Yes, this is my truck...
No, I won't help you move....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
my father has recounted, on more than one occasion, the time when i locked him out of the truck cab when i was 2. he ran into a friends auto body shop for 2 minutes, and when he came out, i had locked both door locks and was laughing at him.

i cannot (as an adult) imagine the sheer panic that what have come over me had this been me locked out with my baby inside.

so what did he do? tried to bribe me with $1. i didnt know what that was, but for some reason i accepted a quarter and unlocked it. (as usual, something shiny caught my eye)...
'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
(as usual, something shiny caught my eye)...
that has gotten us into a lot of trouble- at least that time it got you OUT of trouble
April & Andy Hershberger
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Both our sons (at different times) managed to lock themselves in an outhouse at a state park - same outhouse, different years. The first time, we went and got a ranger who took the hinges off the door to get him out. The second time, we just took the hinges off ourselves!
Glad you got out ok!

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote

closet, knob, latch, locked