Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Makes me glad that mine is a 1969, and by then they had switched to the safety latches on the closets. You know the plastic ones that cost about $8 to replace when they snap for no reason at all.
cheers, bill b.

1962 Airstream Tradewind
2001 Ford 7.3 Diesel
bilby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
A road sales person (female, older, over weight) we bought from in the 70's had a Winnebago as a showroom/living quarters.
She was missing for an appointment and was found in the RV shower, wedged against the bathroom door, nude and slippery!!.
Story was that the rescue folks had to break out the window to get a rope around her to get her on her feet to get the door open.
I think most of that is true!!

triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #17
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
A road sales person (female, older, over weight) we bought from in the 70's had a Winnebago as a showroom/living quarters.
She was missing for an appointment and was found in the RV shower, wedged against the bathroom door, nude and slippery!!.
Story was that the rescue folks had to break out the window to get a rope around her to get her on her feet to get the door open.
I think most of that is true!!
What a vision that makes.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1980 31' Excella II
Davenport , Iowa
Send a message via Yahoo to MRHottinger Send a message via Skype™ to MRHottinger
It seems right after we moved to Georgia in 2003 we were camping at Stone Mountain. My company was having a company picnic there. Sunday as we were packing up the dogs got moved to the truck. Our daughter being the helper she is saw the truck keys and decided they should be in the truck also so that is where they went, right on the console. Almost ready to roll just got to hitch up the truck. Went to the drivers door and it was locked, no problem keys are on the picnic table by the fire ring right???? well not any longer. Quick peek in the window and I see the keys on the console. You may be asking how the doors locked on the crew cab. You see we had a brand new Chevy Silverado HD Crew Cab and in Chevy's ultimate wisdom the door locks are on the armrest so that if the dog puts their feet on it they will lock. No matter how we coaxed the dogs if they hit the button it would just lock. Well this is June in Atlanta and it is hot and the window are up. Starting to now consider which door glass to break when a deputy sheriff drives into the park. He gets his slim jim out and 30 minutes later he is able to open the door quick enough that the dogs did not lock it again. You see every time he hooked the rod to unlock, our male schnauzer would hit the button and they would power down and lock again. If Chevy had put the switches in the other way the dogs would unlock the door insead of lock it. Lesson learned: 1) truck keys stay in my pocket and 2) We always have a spare door key now.

Panic then, but many opportunities to laugh about it since.

Not camping when the daughter was 3 she locked the car door as mommy went around to get her out. This was at the Chapel Hills Mall in Colorado Springs and of course a hot summer day with her 1 yo cousin strapped in the car seat still. Kaeli taught mommy a couple things that summer day in 1992: 1) Dont take the key out of the ignition and thow it in her purse on the floor of the passenger seat. 2) Dont unbuckle a young one until you are ready to take them out of the car. I drove very fast across town to unlock the car and get the girls out. We got to laugh a little in the parking lot when it was over and I had lunch with the wife. Not all bad. Outcomes all good.
MRHottinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
My brush with danger was being in lake water- at a boat launch and us kids were picking up garbage and cans from the muddy bottom. I located a submerged battery, and while under water I stuck my pointing finger in one of the cell holes on the top and it STUCK! ...when I went to pull upwards my feet went down into the mud further. All I could do was raise my free hand and it was just visible above the lake water--shaking it like crazy--and someone saw my hand and grabbed me and the battery and pulled us up. whew!
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We hadn't had our small B+ motor home very long (before we got the Bambi) ... we pulled into a state park, found a site, backed in, and got out to survey our position, etc ... you know how we all do that... We were both outside the motor home, engine running, windows up, air conditioner on when one of our cockers stepped on the door lock on the arm rest in the cab and locked us out ... both doors ... and the door at he back of the unit was locked as well. And neither of us had a set of keys... Greg's set was inside, too!

Of course, we couldn't communicate to the dogs to step on the lock button on the arm rest again and unlock the doors! (I'm sure it was entertaining watching us try, though!) They just looked back at us all excited that we were playing with them though the glass.

Our phone was also inside... Our neighbors across the road had been watching all of his, of course. So we walked over ... they also had a Ford truck so we were hoping that their key just might fit the lock...of course it didn't...duh. They did have a cell phone, and we were not too far from a small town...but they were also away from their home territory, and none of us even knew what area code we were in! They had 2 cell phones between them so one guy called long distance directory assistance, got the number of a lock smith in the nearby town and the other guy called them on the other phone while directory assistance held on, just in case we didn't get through.

It was late in the atfernoon, but as luck would have it the locksmith answered his phone, almost to shut down for the day but said he'd stop on his way home. He was there in about half an hour ... all the while, our motor home running and us feeling really stupid ... and the dogs wondering why they couldn't get out and pee after the long trip.

It took him about 45 minutes to get us in ... he never did get the cab unlocked, but finally got the door to the unit open... Whew! We asked what he wanted for saving our butts ... and he said $20. We almost fell over ... we'd have paid him anything he wanted! He said he felt bad that it took him so long to get the lock open, so $20 was plenty. We tried, but he wouldn't take more.

Lesson ... don't leave the thing running when you get out to look over your campsite and always have a set of keep somewhere else!
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #21
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
A Starbucks I used on every trip of a yearlong twice monthly 600 mile commute told me a customer had gotten locked in the ladies room. For hours. And then the power went out . . windowless, lightless and now -- in the middle of summer -- no A/C.

. . I asked if someone was so "thoughtful" as to also trigger the fire alarm.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, april. Lucky for you that you didn't break that mirror on the closet door while busting out. [seven years bad luck]
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote

closet, knob, latch, locked