Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #295
1 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Castalian Springs , Tennessee
I will be thinking of you and your loved ones during this difficult time. You will get through this with grace and dignity because that is who you are. I know when I lost my first husband I didn't think I could make it through but God came in and took over, truly a footprints in the sand time of my life. He will be there to carry you through this, He always is. You will feel Doug's arms securely holding you giving you the strength to face those who have failed you both in the past and they will see the love and strength they missed out on and the wonder of your love for each other. Praying for you and your loved ones and know the God will answer.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #296
4 Rivet Member
1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Praying for you Maggie. Please know that my thoughts & prayers are for your strength and comfort during this time. I pray that God's peace will surround you. Much love to you.

Airstreamin' dreamin'.

Follow our blog!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #297
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
Maggie, try to remember that other people's actions, or lack thereof, only reflect poorly on themselves. They are not a reflection of, and have nothing to do with you or Doug, so try to not let their poor behaviour taint your experience.

There's some old joke about a woman who learns to say something like "Wonderful," in place of saying "b.s.." Maybe you can take on that approach when dealing with some of these people you mentioned. It'll be part of your take the high road approach.
My New Blog Project:
Old 03-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #298
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We always think we have plenty of time to "get around to it" when it comes to family. You and Doug GOT around to it. Most others don't and (perhaps unfortunately - or uncharitably) then give way to "grief" that's more guilt than grief.

One of the few benefits of getting older is that I at least DO feel that these are a few precious days left and that I want to heal hurts rather than cause them. I never want to stand at a graveside again and think "I wish I'd...." Doug might have been one of those happy souls who figured it out early, and DID the good things instead of procrastinating.

Your relatives feel miserable - and don't quite know how to express it. They probably only vestigally get that it isn't actually all about them and their feelings - but please remember that Doug's strong kind spirit has been around them and may influence their behavior tomorrow and beyond. Wouldn't that be a nice thing to think that Doug is helping them become "humble heroes" in their own families? Isn't that a kind of immortality in and of itself?

We are all holding your hands today and tomorrow. I feel the breeze around the church - still crisp but with hints of spring. Tears... but beyond that a very simple life lived well, ended well, enduring beyond death in the memories of all whose lives he touched.

You can be at peace.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #299
Rivet Master
1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Praying peace and strength for you this weekend. So glad that your friend is coming to be with you. The clueless relatives will go back home soon enough. In my family we have learned to just smile and thank them for coming and then ignore the goofiness.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #300
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Add us to the list of those whose prayer lists you are on - and we'll add a prayer that God sends you strength - and patience. Strength to get through the next few days... and patience to deal with those "near and far" who might not be as thoughtful in their choices of how to act and respond as we know you will be.

Dave and Jeri
1976 Airstream Overlander International
WBCCI 1054
Old 03-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #301
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Maggie, isn't it just HUMBLING to read the posts of all these folks who just exude wisdom, kindness, and forgiveness. The folks who post on this forum are a visible reminder of how wonderful people are -- and when you come back and read this outpouring of wisdom it will most definitely help you let the negative energy dissolve. Barry
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #302
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
I wish this forum had a "LIKE" button, like Facebook does. There are so many wise and kind posts on this thread, that I keep wanting to hit "LIKE."
My New Blog Project:
Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #303
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Dear Maggie. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I don't have a trailer of site yet but came across your tread. Sending warm thoughts & prayers your way. Michael
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #304
3 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
What an outpouring of love for you, Maggie!
It is only the kindness that you have shared on this forum come back to you magnified 100 fold.
There is such a thing as karma! You are richly deserving of many blessings.
All will be well.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #305
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Maggie, you have such a caravan of love and support here. I know it's hard to steer away from those potholes, a.k.a. the hypocritical relatives, but they do not matter. What matters is what you shared with Doug. That ribbon of road will never end.

Thinking of you.....
you will get through it.
easily distracted by shiny objects
Old 03-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #306
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Really struggling yesterday, better today....thank you.

Heading up soon to Iowa, and it begins.

Love to you all,

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Old 03-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #307
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I wish this forum had a "LIKE" button, like Facebook does. There are so many wise and kind posts on this thread, that I keep wanting to hit "LIKE."
There is. It is the "thanks" button. Different from Facebook, only you and the thankee will know.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 AM   #308
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Thoughts and Prayers

Our thoughts and prayers go with you on your journey today. I think RangerJay wrote it perfectly: patience....tolerance...forgiveness. That sounds so much like a passage from the Sermon on the really struck me as kind and loving guidance offered friend to friend. Safe travels, Maggie. Tom

Tom and Robin
2007 Safari 25' FB Twin
"If you have to go through a minefield....follow somebody"
Closed Thread