Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #281
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Maggie, it's good to see that you're handling everything, and with such grace and humor....the warm socks and undies, and the black dog boxers. Priceless!!

Thinking of you. Be well, take care of yourself.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Charlie Hayes is a cousin, not a grandfather, who was in the National Guard, not the Home Guard.....and the narrator in this video is also a cousin. The family were unaware of this video. So special.

A very long day, but all bases seem covered.

Thanks to all of you.

Maggie

Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #283
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Maggie, back where I am from, we call the National Guard "The Guard". I don't know if it's an era or regional affliction. A relative was in The Guard for many years, and when he had to participate, he "had Guards".
Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #284
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Maggie, I haven't been on the forum much lately, but am thinking of you.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #285
1 Rivet Member

Grandville , Michigan
Prayer

I had to read this, and glad I did. I will pray for the both of you.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #286
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Final resting place

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Charlie Hayes is a cousin, not a grandfather, who was in the National Guard, not the Home Guard.....and the narrator in this video is also a cousin. The family were unaware of this video. So special.

A very long day, but all bases seem covered.

Thanks to all of you.

Maggie
You are most welcome, Maggie. I stumbled upon this video late last night while searching for (scarce) photos and/or information about Gracehill Moravian Church and Cemetery.

The narrator is Eugene Engel, and the Washington County Historical Society says:

"The cemetery is noted to be one of the most peaceful and beautiful spots in all of Washington County. Gene Engel who lives nearby has kept the old cemetery in excellent repair for many years, also has allowed a small plot of the original prairie grasses and plants to grow undisturbed at the west edge of the tract. Grace Hill Church and Cemetery are listed on the the National Registry of Historic Landmarks."

Peace

The video:

History of Gracehill Cemetery
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #287
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Finalizing funeral arrangements these past few days, I am struggling with rising anger toward family members, near and far, who could not be bothered with Doug in life, for whatever reason.

A good, kind, loyal father, son and brother, all did not always make time for him as they should have. They couldn't be bothered, other things in their daily lives were more important.

While trying to be kind and gracious, and to keep my lip buttoned, I refuse to provide a venue for those who discarded him to now publicly posture, pose and seek a spotlight to speak of his many fine qualities, to try to purge themselves of guilt for how they disregarded him in life. And to present themselves as something in his life which they chose not to be.

It feels lie fraud, and I won't participate in it, watch it or pay for it.

I feel they need to make their peace with him privately. He loved his family and his people unconditionally, that's the man he was, and will forgive them.

I could use some prayers and karma for specific strengths, extraordinary kindness, grace and love toward others these next few days.

My best friend will be here tomorrow, and thru the weekend. That will help tremendously.

Y'all have helped get me this far. Just a few more days.

I need extraordinary grace and kindness to bestow upon others, that's where I'm starting to waver a bit. I'm having trouble finding it right now.

Thank you,

Maggie
Old 03-20-2014, 06:48 AM   #288
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Maggie:

Ahh, family. Recognize the anger for what it is and let it pass. The only one it hurts is you. Stay strong and keep to the path you have set for your farewell to Doug's physical being. Let his spirit guide you.

Be well and try to be at peace.

Page
Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #289
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
You will find the grace and kindness to get through all of this Maggie. I know having your friend there will help you tremendously. It does amaze me how some people can be, but you hold you head up high and pay tribute to the man you loved. It will be over soon enough. Prayers continue to go your way Maggie, Laura & Tom
Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #290
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will drop in here periodically over the next few days, don't know how much posting I will get done. The words and sentiments help so much when I am by myself. "Air love", my grandaughter would call it, rather than "touch love". It's all good.

My daughter and son-in-law will be in from NYC in a couple of hours, I will get a frame for Doug's picture for the visitation, we will finalize a slide show and put together music for the visitation. Will be nothing somber, but his favorite tunes.

They are all cooking dinner together tonight, my participation not allowed. Such wonderful children we have raised.

Thank you all so much.

Maggie
Old 03-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #291
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Hang in there, Maggie, and know that we are all with you in love and support.
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #292
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Sending some Air Love your way, Maggie.

If it helps, remember that anger is transient and it will fade, but the memory of whatever you do or say will remain with you. Take the high road.

We are all flawed creatures and they are coping in whatever way they can. If posturing is the only way they are able to see themselves, that may be what they have to do. All will be forgiven in time, so let your present actions echo that future.

And when it gets too hard to do that, come here and vent. It's a safe place.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #293
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Remember it was their loss not to be close to Doug, and they may feel guilty. Excuse them and go on with YOUR life. Peace, Jim and Linda.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #294
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
In its support of yourself this thread has been a testament to what the "Airstream Community" is all about - not just hollow words - but the real deal.

And in your own grief you stand as a towering model for us all.

It is unfortunate that you are having to witness less-than-genuine responses of some family members.

But I think this is pretty much normal.

Many would make the observation that the loss of a family member or friend can bring out the very best and the very worst in us - and often does.

You are in the middle of a time where emotions run very high and very intense.

A couple of years ago we faced a flurry of close losses - 4 in one year - and - like yourself - we were stunned by some of what we saw and heard from those who we would have thought better of - the only thing we can say is that we very quickly learned the importance of patience - then tolerance - then absolute forgiveness.

Today we are better for it.

Like others on this thread we never had the opportunity to meet yourself and Doug - but we both continue to think and pray nothing but the very best for you through a difficult time.

Jay and Marg

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Closed Thread