Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #239
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
So touched by your story and the care and help you received. Just made a donation to those who helped you at the house of hope. Jim

Old 03-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #240
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Forum is much more than a thing about trailers and how to fix them or where to travel. Those of us who last for more than a year or two get to know each other even though we never meet in person. Personalities show through the words. Thus, I figured out long ago Maggie is a person who sees the good side of things. We old cynics need people like Maggie to provide balance and remind us things do sometimes work out for the best even if the path is difficult. It takes a lot of inner strength to be an optimist in this world, so Maggie is a special person. I am sure she brightened Doug's life just like Barb brightens mine.

So, now directly to you Maggie—you are a rare Forum member and a rare person. How many of us would receive so many good wishes and support in such a situation? You have always been supportive of me when I expressed our struggles at selling a house in this market or my physical limits. Unfortunately everyone gets a turn at needing support and love.

Hundreds of people are thinking of you. You are special.

By the way, there will be times you'll need quiet and to be alone. We'll understand if you take some time away from here.

Gene

Old 03-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #241

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Very well put, Gene.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
Old 03-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #242
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks to all.

Doug's daughter composed this, slightly edited by me.

Obituary information:

Douglas Dwight Hayes of 907 Charlotte Drive in Normal, Illinois, suffered a sudden cardiac arrest on Sunday, March 9, in Saint Mary's, Georgia. Retired from the State of Illinois, Department of Children & Family Services since 2007, he was doing what he loved best: drinking his morning coffee in a favorite campground, whilst tooling about the country in the Airstream Interstate he owned with Maggie, his wife of 21 years.

Our loyal son, loving father, adoring husband, and doting grandfather died three days later.

Doug was born in Washington, Iowa in 1949 to Lloyd Lyle and Harriet Louise (Eyestone) Hayes. A 1967 graduate of Washington High School, Doug went on to earn his B.A. in Political Science from Iowa Wesleyan College in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa (1971) and his M.A. in Political Science from Western Illinois University in Macomb, Illinois (1975).

A voracious reader who believed—and oft reminded us—that life was too short to read bad literature, Doug finished Dostoyevsky's tome The Brothers Karamazov just weeks before his death.

We are infinitely grateful to fellow travelers at A Big Wheel RV Park in Saint Mary's, Georgia: strangers who came to Doug and Maggie's immediate aid in a time of acute crisis.

How Doug ended up in the competent hands of the Southeast Georgia Medical Centers, we do not know, but for this happenstance intersection of time and space, we are grateful. The family wishes to give special thanks to Doctors Michael Fletcher, Stephen Chitty, Enrique Fernandez, and all of the compassionate and competent medical staff at the Camden and Brunswick Campuses.

In lieu of flowers, we ask that donations or memorials be made in Doug’s name to FaithWorks (FaithWorks : Home) in grateful remembrance of the enveloping care they provided to Doug and his family in Brunswick, Georgia.
Dr. Wright Culpepper and Karen's House of Hope provided spiritual support and physical shelter during our time of need so far from home.

Please join family and friends for visitation Friday from 4:00 to 6:00 pm at Beatty Funeral Home in Washington, Iowa. Doug's funeral will be held Saturday at 1:00 pm at the Gracehill Moravian Church in Washington, Iowa. Following the funeral, he will be buried in Gracehill Cemetery next to his father, who left this earthly world the day before Doug's fourth birthday and who Doug loved and missed every day for the past 61 years.

Doug was preceded in death by his father, Lloyd Lyle Hayes, and by his stepfather, Lawrence Whetstine.

Doug is survived by his wife, Maggie (Wright), his 96-year-old mother, Louise Whetstine, his sister Sandra (Terry) Greiner, his sons Jacob Hayes and Patrick (Angel) Hayes, his daughter Christine (Adam) Ralston, his stepchildren Larry (Tami) Wright and Sara (Efrain) Curet, a beloved pooch, Lily, and nine grandchildren: Blake, Aaliyah, Indira, Justice, Quran, Caleb, Camden, Emma, and Alice.

Doug was a man who kept his things and kept his people. He leaves behind friends he has had since childhood and throughout his life. Doug also leaves behind many fellow travelers and friends that he and Maggie met and enjoyed as they lived their retirement dream of traveling the country together these past 6 1/2 years.

When reflecting on his life and good fortune, Doug often said that he had an embarrassment of riches. A truly great man, he will be missed by so many, so very much.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #243
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Dearest Maggie....this last journey of yours from Brunswick back home....you do know that all of us were riding co-pilot, don't you? As someone who's a "solo-'Streamer" let me just say that I never feel like I'm alone. Like you (with Lily) I have the BG's (basset girls...Rhoda and Nola) with me. So, in time -- and I think it will be sooner rather than later -- you will find yourself back behind the wheel (with Lily, of course) continuing the journey. And all of your hundreds of extended family members will be waiting for you! Hugs, Barry
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 03-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #244
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Thanks to all.

Doug's daughter composed this, slightly edited by me.

Obituary information:

Douglas Dwight Hayes of 907 Charlotte Drive in Normal, Illinois, suffered a sudden cardiac arrest on Sunday, March 9, in Saint Mary's, Georgia. Retired from the State of Illinois, Department of Children & Family Services since 2007, he was doing what he loved best: drinking his morning coffee in a favorite campground, whilst tooling about the country in the Airstream Interstate he owned with Maggie, his wife of 21 years.

Our loyal son, loving father, adoring husband, and doting grandfather died three days later.

Doug was born in Washington, Iowa in 1949 to Lloyd Lyle and Harriet Louise (Eyestone) Hayes. A 1967 graduate of Washington High School, Doug went on to earn his B.A. in Political Science from Iowa Wesleyan College in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa (1971) and his M.A. in Political Science from Western Illinois University in Macomb, Illinois (1975).

A voracious reader who believed—and oft reminded us—that life was too short to read bad literature, Doug finished Dostoyevsky's tome The Brothers Karamazov just weeks before his death.

We are infinitely grateful to fellow travelers at A Big Wheel RV Park in Saint Mary's, Georgia: strangers who came to Doug and Maggie's immediate aid in a time of acute crisis.

How Doug ended up in the competent hands of the Southeast Georgia Medical Centers, we do not know, but for this happenstance intersection of time and space, we are grateful. The family wishes to give special thanks to Doctors Michael Fletcher, Stephen Chitty, Enrique Fernandez, and all of the compassionate and competent medical staff at the Camden and Brunswick Campuses.

In lieu of flowers, we ask that donations or memorials be made in Doug’s name to FaithWorks (FaithWorks : Home) in grateful remembrance of the enveloping care they provided to Doug and his family in Brunswick, Georgia.
Dr. Wright Culpepper and Karen's House of Hope provided spiritual support and physical shelter during our time of need so far from home.

Please join family and friends for visitation Friday from 4:00 to 6:00 pm at Beatty Funeral Home in Washington, Iowa. Doug's funeral will be held Saturday at 1:00 pm at the Gracehill Moravian Church in Washington, Iowa. Following the funeral, he will be buried in Gracehill Cemetery next to his father, who left this earthly world the day before Doug's fourth birthday and who Doug loved and missed every day for the past 61 years.

Doug was preceded in death by his father, Lloyd Lyle Hayes, and by his stepfather, Lawrence Whetstine.

Doug is survived by his wife, Maggie (Wright), his 96-year-old mother, Louise Whetstine, his sister Sandra (Terry) Greiner, his sons Jacob Hayes and Patrick (Angel) Hayes, his daughter Christine (Adam) Ralston, his stepchildren Larry (Tami) Wright and Sara (Efrain) Curet, a beloved pooch, Lily, and nine grandchildren: Blake, Aaliyah, Indira, Justice, Quran, Caleb, Camden, Emma, and Alice.

Doug was a man who kept his things and kept his people. He leaves behind friends he has had since childhood and throughout his life. Doug also leaves behind many fellow travelers and friends that he and Maggie met and enjoyed as they lived their retirement dream of traveling the country together these past 6 1/2 years.

When reflecting on his life and good fortune, Doug often said that he had an embarrassment of riches. A truly great man, he will be missed by so many, so very much.

Maggie,
Thanks for posting Doug's Obituary. We can reflect on this full life and to those who knew and loved him.
Thanks for the link to Faith Works so we can participate in memorializing him.
Many prayers and good thoughts to you and all your family. And Lily!
Mockinbrd
Old 03-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #245
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I truly felt carried home on a sea of love and well-wishes.

Never felt for a moment that I wouldn't make it.

Many have been very insistent that I accept help when I need it. Please know that I am accepting help that I need, doing for myself what I can as being dependent is not my thing.

If I accepted every offer of help extended, I would still be in Georgia. I need to be home, arranging a funeral and burying the love of my life.

It feels very good and nurturing to be arranging this funeral, another thing I have never done. It is my final act of caregiving for him, and brings me peaceful feelings as I arrange a simple but beautiful service, befitting the old country church which will have the service and internment.

A great-niece of Doug's with a beautiful, clear voice will sing a couple of favorite hymns during the service, his best friend from high school will speak, there will be a simple service and then An Irish Blessing graveside.

He will like it.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #246
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Maggie,

Just a quick hello, best wishes, a hug and thanks for taking the time to keep your friends informed.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #247
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
OK thinking of you.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1394924408.373735.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	207533
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
What a beautifully written obituary. I am not going to lie - I have cried several times reading this thread though I've never met you or Doug - only through the forums. It's more than the Airstream connection, it's the shared human family to which we all belong.

Sue and I have made a donation in Doug's memory and in your honor, Maggie. I continue to pray for your peace and comfort in mourning and that when the time is right, dear memories will bring great joy to you. I hope someday we'll meet on the road but whether or not that happens, I'm so grateful for who you are and the amazing example you've been all along, never more moving as from your own deep grief. You are one of the most generous people I've ever known. Peace, peace and more peace to you and yours always.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #249
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Maggie~

We are so sorry to hear about Doug's passing. We only met you both a few times at the Moraine View forum, but we felt that you were both very wonderful people. Our thoughts go out to you and your family.
Peggy and Steve

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 03-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #250
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
We are so glad you are home safe and sound. Our prayers were with you during your journey home and you will continue to be in our prayers as this difficult week unfolds for you. May God Bless you and give your the courage and strength to go from one day to the next at this difficult time.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #251
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you all so very much for the support and love you extend.

Many fine and good people here, who never fail to rally round and provide whatever is needed to a stricken comrade.

It has been a long day. Family here, we got the Interstate emptied and everything into the house. So much to do, I will be busy for a very long time......and that is a good thing.

One thing we came to realize some years ago was how quickly a life can be taken. We never passed up an opportunity to express our love to each other, share a kiss, a pat, hold hands, etc., and to be grateful for our life together and this wondrous vagabonding about the country we have loved so much.

You never know when this moment might be your last.

Don't wait to tell those you love how important they are to you, or to do a kindness for someone else simply because you have the opportunity.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #252
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

One thing we came to realize some years ago was how quickly a life can be taken. We never passed up an opportunity to express our love to each other, share a kiss, a pat, hold hands, etc., and to be grateful for our life together and this wondrous vagabonding about the country we have loved so much.

You never know when this moment might be your last.

Don't wait to tell those you love how important they are to you, or to do a kindness for someone else simply because you have the opportunity.

Maggie
Truer words were never spoken.
I am so relieved that you are home safe. We WERE all riding shotgun with you.
Beautiful obituary, thank you for posting.
Warmest wishes to you and your family at this oh so difficult time.
We also hope that someday, somewhere on the road, we will finally get to meet you and Lily.
Leonie and Paul

Closed Thread