Old 12-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Possible Thermostat Issues

We recently used our Classic 31 during cold weather and had issues with the furnace and rear AC units working. Since I was only on a 30 amp hook-up I had planned to use the furnace for heat. At first the unit would not come on. I replaced the batteries which were over four years old and showed signs of not holding a good charge. Didn't really expect the battery change to make a difference but a few hours later the furnace did manage to come on. Went through all of the DuoTherm thermostat settings several times since the one thermostat works both AC units and the furnace. All seemed to work fine for about a day or so then one night we woke up to freezing temps inside. The furnace had failed to come back on. I then turned on the front heat pump and all was fine. Later the next day went back to the furnace again and it worked fine for about an hour and then failed to come back on once it had cycled off. Over the next few days I switched back and forth between the rear and from AC units. After a couple of days the rear AC heat pump quit working. I could not get the rear AC or heat pump to come on. All breakers working fine. Now we are down to only the front AC unit which works fine on either AC or heat. I suspect I may have a thermostat issue. Any comments? Thanks

Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I had simular problems with intermittent operation of the thermostat, only we were just using air conditioning last summer.

VERY long story with two service tech visits, and a couple of talks with Dometic customer service, which led me to checking the connectors in the telephone type cable between the front main A/C unit and the thermostat, and that's where the problem was.

Dometic used the telephone wire and connectors because they were cheap and available, but the problem is they are not designed to really carry the amount of 12 volt power the thermostat requires, so the connections get burned, and intermittent.

Mine was bad at the connection "box" in the telephone cable up under the inside cover of the front A/C unit. Good luck, and I hope this is of some help.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote