Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #81
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So you are saying the first 727 members dues goes to JUST paying liability insurance? I think that number must be a little off. If the club actually had 7000 members today, that means almost 10% of the total dues collected goes to insurance.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #82
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
So you are saying the first 727 members dues goes to JUST paying liability insurance? I think that number must be a little off. If the club actually had 7000 members today, that means almost 10% of the total dues collected goes to insurance.
Our automobile liability insurance with two vehicles and two drivers costs roughly 4% of our monthly salaries, and we have much lower limits than the Wally Club.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Pee Wee
With all due respect. You are saying that the insurance co is going to sue the person responsible for me tripping over the table,which would be me, not the campground or the person who said "Lets go campin this weekend". In today's society it seems we are not willing to take responsibility for our own actions.
Hi Carol
I was hopin you would surface. PM ME!
Dave
We still will be where you are on the 31st. No matter whether there is insurance or not. Just so our friends are there is all that matters. We will worry about small details when we come to them.
To the MODS
Sorry this has gotten way off topic I'll be quiet now and just go campin,In fact we are preparing to head out .
Nuvite-F
Thanks for speaking directly to me Neighbor,I thought you were ignoring me cause I'm not a WBCCI member.
I'm Out
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
IS THE $%#& WBCCI the only people able to get insurance? KEEP YOUR CLUB, no one is asking you to give it up.

No, I'm sure Tin Can Tourists has it and others too - to summarize, this proposed club did not want to have any formality, rules, officiers etc - there is some great advice on this thread and all we are saying is you will need some structure (ie formality and rules, state and IRS approval) officiers (which requires at least one annual meeting) and insurance - none of which is a big deal at all.

And, all I'm saying is we chose the route of forming a new unit within the WBCCI for the following reasons...

1. It was much easier - no state and federal filings
2. Did not want to fragment a fine group of people
3. We were able to keep our unit dues cheap - $1
4. We are able to cater to the needs of our members
5. Wanted to show we could attract new membership into the WBCCI
6. They already had the insurance in place.
7. And, frankly, wanted to challange WBCCI a bit to create a better overall organization for all by being a model unit to show it was ok to do things a little different while being a good citizen and supporting the WBCCI.

And, last but not least - we are having a blast!!

Had we not been so successful, I might be on board for starting a new club - but we have been incredibly successful and I think there are enough folks in the WBCCI who like what we are doing that frankly I see no reason to go off a start a new club. I really do understand where you are at - we as well as many were there too.

At our rallies, there is no business discussion at all - we just camp and have fun. There are other units doing the exact same thing as we are.

Good luck - as I said - I really do wish you well.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM   #85
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Wow now...I never did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Pee Wee
With all due respect. You are saying that the insurance co is going to sue the person responsible for me tripping over the table,which would be me, not the campground or the person who said "Lets go campin this weekend". In today's society it seems we are not willing to take responsibility for our own actions.
Hi Carol
I was hopin you would surface. PM ME!
Dave
We still will be where you are on the 31st. No matter whether there is insurance or not. Just so our friends are there is all that matters. We will worry about small details when we come to them.
To the MODS
Sorry this has gotten way off topic I'll be quiet now and just go campin,In fact we are preparing to head out .
Nuvite-F
Thanks for speaking directly to me Neighbor,I thought you were ignoring me cause I'm not a WBCCI member.
I'm Out
Roger
Pee Wee, that's me, never entered or will enter discussions about insurance. Not my policy (pun intended). Do not affix misinformation to my name.

Pee Wee
Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Take a Look at the Numbers

Only 89 responses thus far, yet almost 2000 views of this thread. Clearly, there are a lot of people on this FORUM that are checking out the wheels that are in motion. Thanks for starting this thread, Frank.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
I would guess that the policy's cost is proportional to the number of members. In a way, I guess it makes sense for it to be that high of a percentage, relative to the club's other expenses (staffing, publications, mail, etc.)

Insurance was a bit of a hassle for the whitewater kayak club I belong to. We wound up becoming an affliate of a larger organization (Americna Whitewater) because that allowed reasonable liability coverage. Given the relative death rates of whitewater kayaking vs. Airstreaming, hopefully that would be less of a problem here...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Yup...me too! We are co-hosting a large (70+ trailer) rally that wouldn't be happening w/o the liability coverage of the WBCCI.

Shari
I'm hosting a WBCCI rally and would not if it weren't for the WBCCI liability coverage. Those of you that do host a rally, WBCCI or not, need to consider the liability.

Don't think that the dog won't bite...........
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Well If I fall over a camp table and break my leg it will be my responsibility not the campground.
I want to be positive, but why do I think that the first person you would blame is in organizer????

I just don't trust those that say "its my fault" I will continue to pay for my coverage and will continue to organize events that are covered.
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #90
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Somehow I just knew this was going to happen when I saw this thread.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
You know, there's nothing better than Skillet Hash first thing in the morning at a WBCCI Rally, so I just thought I'd share:
Leo, thanks for the recipe... and how fitting on a thread started by a guy famous for his rally breakfasts... offered to anyone who cares to partake.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Reservations Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
Ed,

You know, there's nothing better than Skillet Hash first thing in the morning at a WBCCI Rally, so I just thought I'd share:

SKILLET HASH (serves 4)

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
2 eggs
4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 lb 85/15 Ground Beef
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
5 tablespoons Ketchup

PREPARATION
Pre-brown your ground beef and set aside.
Bake or microwave 4 potatoes. Peel and chop, set aside.

DIRECTIONS
Mix chopped onions, potatoes, beef, ketchup and pepper in a mixing bowl. Repeat this batch in a 2nd and 3rd bowl, and repeat as bowls are emptied, for as many people as you will be serving.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mix and spread evenly across your cast iron skillet. Let cook for 10minutes, quarter, and flip. Cook an additional 10 minutes and serve. For added flair and satisfaction, serve with two eggs cooked to order, on top.

That should set you up through noon!

__
Make it for two!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #93
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think that recipe would be better with corned beef....

I might have to rethink the free breakfast to anyone who cares to partake. That is unless I take out liability insurance. Generosity is not absolved of people not taking personal responsibility. Maybe I should have my lawyer draw up a waiver form that I can get folks to sign. That way, I can keep fixing breakfast for folks without worrying about that $40,000 policy getting a claim against it.

Any one have any more name ideas? I was told that the notion of a new club is much further along than I had realized. Those people working on that might find use of more name ideas.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #94
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Interesting how the ones that are happy with the club get PO'ed when someone says something negative about it, but then they filibuster threads where talk of a new club is discussed. Too bad there isn't a little moderation to keep things on topic. So as to not be off topic myself, I'll suggest;

Airstream Renegades.

Someone elsewhere suggest blue or green membership numbers on the cap.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #95
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Someone elsewhere suggest blue or green membership numbers on the cap.
May I suggest white? We already have red (WBCCI) and blue (Airforums) so white would look nice around the 4th of July.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Great Idea!

Quote:
Ed,

That should set you up through noon!

__
Looks like Friday's breakfast. Saturday is my Door County cherry/cream cheese stuffed french toast!
Thanks Leo
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 07-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Maybe I should have my lawyer draw up a waiver form that I can get folks to sign. That way, I can keep fixing breakfast for folks without worrying about that $40,000 policy getting a claim against it.
Frank,

Liability waivers may help, but I have been told by more than one lawyer that any plaintiffs attorney worth his contingency fee can find a way to get around them.

Way too much is being made here of this liability insurance issue. If you are going to start a new club, go talk to a lawyer about incorporating a nonprofit corporation, and go talk to an insurance agent about what you need in the way of insurance. An RV club isn't much different than a thousand other associations like churches, service clubs, sports clubs, etc. and they all have insurance.

WBCCI's insurance is probably fairly expensive because they put on hundreds of unit rallies, dozens of region and special event rallies, and the International every year, plus who knows how many caravans. I wouldn't be surprised if the underwriters consider caravans to be a bigger risk exposure than rallies.

A small RV club starting out with a few hundred members and not too many activities could probably get insurance for a thousand or two, not many dollars per member.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
I might have to rethink the free breakfast to anyone who cares to partake. That is unless I take out liability insurance.
or put warning labels on everything.

Caution! This coffee is hot and you could burn yourself
Caution! The knife you are using is sharp and you may cut yourself
Caution! Less than a "well" done piece of meat could result in gastroenteritis

Please fill out this waiver and have it notarized before arriving for breakfast.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't have the time to read all the posts on this thread yet so at the risk of being redundant I'll put in my .02.

I have no problem with the WBCCI on my local level. Right now that's all I need.

If a new club is formed with a vintage component consider opening it to the other similar trailers: Avion, Streamline, Silverstreak, Spartan and the more esoteric SOBs.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #100
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Come on man, you just can't drop that one here. I need some details! What do I need to do!!!

__
They're good, but they're a lot of work to make for a rallyfull of people. Also, to make Ed's secret recipe Door County cherry stuffed French toast, you have to have Door County cherries. . .