Old 07-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post

Anyway, how 'bout Vintage Trailerites Association?

I like your idea Marcus. It avoids possible legal issues of using "Wally Byam," or "airstream" in the name. It also opens the discussion up to very cool vintage trailer brethren.

Steve

Old 07-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Been Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I like your idea Marcus. It avoids possible legal issues of using "Wally Byam," or "airstream" in the name. It also opens the discussion up to very cool vintage trailer brethren.

Steve
Its called the Tin Can Tourists.....................................

59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
i like AOA

it's a great idea and as soon as there is a new club, i will join in a second. i will never re-join WBCCI.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #32
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
I like ART...
Could be FART... Franks Airstreamers Roming Together. HA HA HA
But I still like ART!

What a gas Of course, it does suggest a club with a distinctive air

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
My idea of camping never involved the things I see discussed about the WBCCI. I camp to get away from the formalities of everyday life. Not to go put on a new set of formalities on my well-earned vacation time.
I camp to get away from the hordes of people I deal with regularly, in business and on the road. Not to gather on a large, flat field with hundreds or thousands of "campers".
It's sad that the origins of the WBCCI seem to have been misplaced somewhere along the line, but to me the draw of the Airstream is not tied to this club in any way. Sure, it's impressive to see hundreds of Airstreams lined up in formation like planes on an aircraft carrier, but that isn't camping, to me. I prefer to see less people and more trees, hills and trails. Give me a nice desert or beach, and turn me loose!

Is it necessary for a new club to form? Are there already clubs out there that should be looked into first? Tin Can Tourists has been mentioned already. Are there others that fit the bill?

If the reason for this thread is the WBCCI, maybe it should be called "WE ARE NOT THE WBCCI!"

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sneaky Snake 008.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	84281  
Old 07-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I find this thread interesting because there are so many diverse opinions. It is doubtful that 'a new "Club" would fair any better, it would just have different people making the rules.
From my recollection, Wally Byam never intended the WBCC to be a camping club. I remember him promoting travel and adventure. It was about meeting new people and exploring new places. After all he originally christened the club "Wally Byam's Caravaners.

I have rejoined the WBCCI to rekindle nostalgic recollections. I bought a vintage Airstream of the era I remember as a kid. I did not buy an Airstream to camp (in the traditional sense). I remember that the early Caravaners referred to themselves as boulevard campers, because they wanted travel, not "camping".

I hope Pee Wee chimes in because his recollections are probably better than mine. After all, he knew the founders personally.

Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
A Sad Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Sorry Lynn, usually I agree with you, but this time I do not. I see nothing but the same old same old. I want a club that is about camping and having fun. I want a club that is about pride in ownership of a true American Icon. The club my dues supports is about attending the right rallies and being able to attend the right meetings. While at International I saw what it was about. I am not in support of that. I am very fortunate to belong to a Unit that shares my values, but the vast membership does not. Change is coming and often it is extreme. I cannot change things with in a system that denies a Lt Col in the United States Marine Corps his leadership just because he did not attend enough International Rallies. His leadership qualifications are better than anyone that has come along so far. Instead someone was put in his place that came from no where. His qualifications were that he had attended all the right rallies.

A new club is coming and it is coming soon.

Sorry Pee Wee, your friendship is very important to me, but your mothers vision has been stolen and subverted. Some of us are going to take it back.
Everyone knows my feelings, I find that it is a sad day that adult men and women can not talk, work together, and save a good thing.

My loyalities are where they belong.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Come on....Do Not drag Pee Wee into this! That is way uncool and unfair! I am sure that Dale knows about this thread and if he wanted to post here, he would have already.

I too was at this last International and I have alot the same issues as many others that were there, but leave Pee Wee out of this. He already has his own thread started here on the forums. Dale is a good man with a rich history, can we not screw that up please?

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
My 84 year old grandpa quit WBCCI last year, after being in it for thirty years. Said it just wasn't fun anymore.

Looks like the popular sentiment on here is to keep it Airstream only and to heck with all other silver brands.

I guess it's the Tin Can Tourists for me then. I like all the silver trailers.

take care,
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Save Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
I'm actually surprised to see that a bad rally experience, an individual bad rally experience, maybe even a small group bad rally experience, would cause such drastic measures as a new club movement.

I'm even more surprised that the incident actually revolves around an intraclub, not necessarily the club itself, and yet there's a new club movement.

I wonder if the officer so offended by the claims broadcast would so quickly give up his Grandfather's club? I would actually be surprised if he would. I think there's too much generational pride there, but I can't speak for Rob.

This historic club is worth fighting for, and even as it evolves, hopefully before it goes bust, nothing the international club is, or would be, would have had any impact on this group's bad experience within the VAC parking arrangements.

The grassy area was prone to flooding (so they say), so with no more room on the grass, what should they have done, clear a new field?

Rob was bypassed with, or without consultation, with or without advanced notice, or so I hear -- we haven't discussed it. Rob had time to file a formal protest, a grievance, complete with an appeals process should that decision not initially go his way. Rob could have always run from the floor as well. Rob could still campaign to be returned to whatever position he would like, within the VAC, if he so chooses. Rob was not tossed from the VAC, or the club. My guess is that Rob might have a bad taste in his mouth with those that he might believe betrayed him, but I don't believe that Rob has a bad taste for the hundreds of friends and aqcuaintences all throughout the WBCCI. Is Rob even put off enough that he wouldn't renew his VAC membership?

Depending on when Rob got that news, he might still have time on the clock for a grievance.

Too many people work too hard to just up and run. If a few incidents can cause a few to up and run, maybe a TCT stint is in order. Give a differently structured club a run, and see if there is anything worthy of getting involved with there.

Me, I'm staying put -- I've got too many friends at MetroNY, and too many friends across the fields. Unless they ever manage to toss my butt out of this club...

__
Save Wally, more now than ever. Apparently we will see a new club like the Good Sam Club, but with someone's first name other than Wally's. It seems strange to me that so many people have little or no involvement with the WBCCI, but pay dues and are proud to be a part of the Airstream way of life, and to have the recognition of being able to say the name Wally Byam. And what is insolent about all of this Airstream owners and Club members are having fun. A lot of fun. Apparently neither Airstream or Wally Byam have any meaning to a few, a very few of those that complain. Apologies are not part of the life Airstream owners enjoy.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Avoid duplication of effort. . .

Quote:
Sorry Lynn, usually I agree with you, but this time I do not. I see nothing but the same old same old. I want a club that is about camping and having fun. I want a club that is about pride in ownership of a true American Icon. The club my dues supports is about attending the right rallies and being able to attend the right meetings. While at International I saw what it was about. I am not in support of that. I am very fortunate to belong to a Unit that shares my values, but the vast membership does not. Change is coming and often it is extreme. I cannot change things with in a system that denies a Lt Col in the United States Marine Corps his leadership just because he did not attend enough International Rallies. His leadership qualifications are better than anyone that has come along so far. Instead someone was put in his place that came from no where. His qualifications were that he had attended all the right rallies.

A new club is coming and it is coming soon.

Sorry Pee Wee, your friendship is very important to me, but your mothers vision has been stolen and subverted. Some of us are going to take it back.
Frank,

Before you get too far down the road you might want to check with norsea, who was starting a new club about a year ago. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post

But for me, and many others, the WBCCI just does not work. So, we are off to create a club that will better meet our needs.

Participation is a very subjective thing. My personal opinion is that anyone in any club should be able to participate as much or as little as they so desire.

At the minute we are working on just about everything that will be needed to move forward to create a new club. This process often moves in a very "herky jerky" (technical term) pattern as we "hurry up and wait" for one specific item to be sorted before we move forward to other things.

At the minute we are in one of these "hurry up and wait" states. I hope this will be resolved soon.

If you, or anyone, would like to get involved and offer ideas, review documents, provide expertise about web sites, newsletters, bylaws, articles of incorporation, etc., etc., please come to the party.
. . . and Bob280, who was rumored to be.

No point in useless duplication of effort, and three new clubs coming on the scene all at once probably won't accomplish your desired objective.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Just a thought; All politics are basically evil. The more local politics are, the better they are. The bigger it gets the worse it will be. It is the nature of the beast. Breaking up a national club, won't change anythng once the new one gets big enough.

My wife and I are in our second year with the WBCCI. We joined as a member at large and later joined a unit. We have had a great time and enjoyed the experience, the camaraderie, and the new friends we have made. All and all it has been a very positive experience.

I think the best course of action is not to abandon a great thing. When I see the pictures in the VAC newsletter of caravaner's from the past, it gives me something to look forward to, to dream about. What an adventure that must have been, to travel across the world for over a year. I plan to stay within the WBCCI. To get my involvement local. To continue to have a great time.

On the bright side, I'm only 47. I've met Rob, and he is a young fellow too. We can outlive the problem. At least that is my plan.
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #41
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
The original post

Quote:
I have heard a bit of talk about a new club forming. One that has all the good of the WBCCI and none of the bad. If a new club was to form, what would it be called? Do any of you ever think about this? what are some possible name suggestions?

Just saying

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
You Represent the Right Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
Just a thought; All politics are basically evil. The more local politics are, the better they are. The bigger it gets the worse it will be. It is the nature of the beast. Breaking up a national club, won't change anythng once the new one gets big enough.

My wife and I are in our second year with the WBCCI. We joined as a member at large and later joined a unit. We have had a great time and enjoyed the experience, the camaraderie, and the new friends we have made. All and all it has been a very positive experience.

I think the best course of action is not to abandon a great thing. When I see the pictures in the VAC newsletter of caravaner's from the past, it gives me something to look forward to, to dream about. What an adventure that must have been, to travel across the world for over a year. I plan to stay within the WBCCI. To get my involvement local. To continue to have a great time.

On the bright side, I'm only 47. I've met Rob, and he is a young fellow too. We can outlive the problem. At least that is my plan.
You certainly have the right thoughts and direction.