Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #155
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
It is interesting what one learns about themselves through the thoughts of others. "loose cannon" and "unrealistic" I always thought of myself as very focused and able to make dreams a reality. I am very proud of the person I am and feel very good about myself. I treat others better than I want to be treated and never steal and never lie. I think I do just fine thinking a little outside of the box.

Nuvi, I probably was very un realist about International. I guess I expected to get something for the all the money I was paying to be there. I guess I kind of expected some kind of fellowship out of 903 Airstreams gathering in one place. Instead I saw a well formed clique of West Coasters and a huge divide within the infra club VAC that I was most interested in being a part of. I expected the vintage parking area to vintage. Instead it was 20% non vintage rigs parked with in that well formed clique. Of course this was all totally coincidental I was told. I expected that for the $400 I paid someone might throw a piece of rubbery chicken, some beans, maybe some of that institutional Sam's club cole slaw on a paper plate and call it a catered dinner. I expected my dues and my rally fees that fund the International to benefit me just a little. But it was more important for those funds to support the outgoing president at his dinner at Monona Terrace. Here is a link: Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center Please feel free to wonder what that cost. 100 people at a formal dinner... look at the catering part and wrap your head around the cost of the same rubber chicken I was hoping for. That night right there could have not happened the deficit the International ran could have been drastically cut down. But that is very un realist of me. I guess the 100 or so gift baskets I saw wheeled into the hall one very early morning were necessary too. They were just like the first one Wisconsin Gift Baskets Madison * Sweet Gift Express Madison Wisconsin but with a blue ribbon. What were the cheap chinese made bags, sticker and pen that everyone else got not enough for the important people up the ladder? Once again, very un realist. I guess I was expecting something for my kids to do besides dodge cars in a parking lot. Someone will say, "there were planned youth activities. They went to very interesting places." Which is true. But all those trips required the parent to go along so they could be transported there. You see all the coach busses were busy driving people from one area of the Alliance Center to another. The coach busses were needed as shuttles. Using them to transport a large group to a distant destination was a very un realist expectation of mine. So if I have to take my kid to Wisconsin Dells or House on the Rocks, why not just take them at my pace, on my schedule? As I write these things I just keep realizing how unrealistic I am.

This summer there is going to a rally held that will celebrate Wally's Birthday properly. The cost will be 1/6th the cost of International. Unfortunately we are not going to have 903 trailers there. It will be limited to 50. There will be fellowship, there will be breakfast everyday, there will be a steak dinner provided to me, there will be fireworks I don't have to pay a bus to take me to, there will be potlucks, there will be a lot of kids activities, there will be no parking lots, there will be no cliques everyone will be a part of everything. All of the things that I mentioned are going to be a reality not some un realist ideas .

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #156
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Frank,

Very well stated and thought provoking for a new members like Jill and I.

nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #157
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
62 Overlander- That is good information that you have provided. It's most unfortunate that the rally to celebrate Wally's birthday is limited to only 50 trailers. I would suspect that this would be the type of rally that Wally would prefer.

I know where you're coming from in reguards to newer trailers parking with vintage, I figure that those with the newer trailers felt more at ease and comfortable with parking with their buddies who own vintage. It would be my guess that the majority of vintage owners are more relaxed and laid back. Like I said before, I have no desire to go to an International. I think the really to celebrate Wally's birthday should replace the International. International could do away with all of that pomp and circumstances and really simplify. It should be like an installation rally, of course it would be on a larger scale. Overall, the International is much too difficult for working people to attend. I would also think that it's too expensive for most retired folks as well. I certainly hope I have that kind of money when I retire.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 AM   #158
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Greywolf, you may want to check out this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...tml#post756248

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote