portable boat?

Hi,

Now that we have the trailer, I've been trying to figure out
how we might get a versatile boat to come along for the ride
as well. Our tow vehicle is a crew cab with lumberracks so I
know where the boat is going to go; but we were trying
to find one that we can sail, motor and row if possible. Maybe
10' to 14.'

Some of the boats fill the bill but they are to heavy or to wide for us to get on the truck(60 inches max width).

One boat we have seen on the web is called "porte-bote."
It breaks down and folds over to about 4" high x 24 inches
wide. You can motor, sail or row it as well but it kind of
scares me to think of a folding boat with my family in it.
Have you ever heard of it?? What do you recommend?

thanks

Old 12-31-2003, 07:40 PM   #2

Hi,
I'm new to airstreaming and also this forum.
I can tell you that I have seen the porta Boat in use and it is a nice small boat.
My brother in law has one and during his visits to us, we live on a lake, uses it all of the time. He has a small motor and uses it for fishing or just running around the lake.
He is a full timer and has no problem transporting the boat. It has a place on the roof rack of his jeep wagon which he tows behind his motorhome.
I think that boat company has a web site that would be helpful to you.

Old 12-31-2003, 08:17 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

thanks nhtexan,

I saw the web site but nothing is as helpful as hearing from some one who has used the boat before or owns one and is
happy with it; I guess that is why we have the A/S. So
many happy campers!!!

Thanks again
Old 12-31-2003, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
i'm Thinking

I have a 20 ft pontoon boat and now have an Airstream. I've got competing pleasures. I'm tempted to buy another Airstream and put it on top of my pontoon boat. It may be the only way I can enjoy both.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:04 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We use a 10.5ft Zodiac inflatable, with a 10hp outboard. It folds into a large duffle bag and has separate wooden floor pieces. It can be rowed, but not sailed, to my knowledge. It gets going very fast with 10hp, and is quite comfortable to use with 3-4 people. Setup time is about 10min. and it can be launched just about anywhere.
Nice thing is, it takes up very little room when not in use,a nd fits in the trunk of a midsize car, motor and all. It can be powered by amotor as small as 2.5hp, but won't plane with a motor that small.
We have grandkids that I regularly take out during the summer, and I feel very safe in the inflatable, because it is so stable on the water.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Hi!

My situation is a bit different from yours in that most of my boating is aimed at floating rivers for fishing. I also have a ladder rack over the cap on my truck, and use it mainly to transport my boat to and from the campgrounds to my fishing locations. I have an 11'3" inflatable cataraft that weighs about 80 pounds (about half of which is the aluminum and cedar deck and frame). I could mount an outboard motor on it if I wanted to; I just have an electric trolling motor for it now but use it only occassionally. Mainly I use whitewater quality oars in the rivers. I probably could also rig a sail to it, but I've never looked into doing that.

I think the suggestion of an inflatable, such as a Zodiac, is probably the direction I'd consider if I was in your position. I'd probably also look at other top quality inflatables as well, such as Avon, and if properly taken care of they will last for many years.

John
Old 01-01-2004, 10:55 AM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I will replace my Zodiac this year with an Achilles inflatable.
The Achilles materials are far superior, at least for heavy UV exposure like we get in California.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

thanks again everyone for your input
Old 06-26-2004, 01:47 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I have had a lot of experience with Portabotes.They are a fine boat but I would advise for the 12 foot model.This has good stability and freight load.It is as tough as nails and I would trust it ahead of any inflatable made.Remember though to use it for what it was designed for.A good boat for calm to moderate inland waters.Do not whitewater with it.
Caveats.8footer rows very awkwardly and is barely adequate for two small adults.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
This is our plan

We installed overhead bar carriers on our pickup to carry our two kayaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TitanASKayak.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	7324  
Old 06-26-2004, 09:23 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
The Portabote is an excellent product, quite durable, and highly transportable. I have used my 12' for fishing mainly, having added downriggers. It even comes in an "aluminum" finish, for those who wish to coordinate. Kent, the facility is in Mountain View and a days drive from you. I am sure if you called ahead, they would be happy to show you around.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I'm with Davydd - why not a pair of good ole' aluminum canoes? Fits a family of six, and they've stood the test of time for the last few thousand years! Be sure to polish them up so they match the trailer.

They even make them with squared off backs, for putting small outboard motors on them.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:55 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
I'm with Davydd - why not a pair of good ole' aluminum canoes? Fits a family of six, and they've stood the test of time for the last few thousand years! Be sure to polish them up so they match the trailer.

They even make them with squared off backs, for putting small outboard motors on them.
I've also studied the Portabote and have a friend who has one and loves it. It would be more stable and versatile than a canoe. The company has designed it well and has been in business for quite some time. Seeing one and talking to a knowledgable sales person will likely convince you.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 R GO C MH
I've also studied the Portabote and have a friend who has one and loves it. It would be more stable and versatile than a canoe. The company has designed it well and has been in business for quite some time. Seeing one and talking to a knowledgable sales person will likely convince you.
We also have the aluminum Alumacraft canoe in addition to our two kayaks and aluminum pontoon. We could pull a lot of aluminum if we wanted to.

As for stability, being a Minnesotan canoes and kayaks are stable. We don't need some stinkin' salesman to tell us otherwise.

Seriously, canoes are stable as long as you know how to handle them. I have never capsized my canoe or kayak other than deliberately for rescue practice. This includes shooting rapids in a canoe and kayaking Lake Superior in 2 ft. whitecap waves. We use the pontoon with parties of up to 12 on the lake and as a liesure deck on the water. The canoe, now an ancient 34 years, is best for the Boundary Waters and decent for fishing. I lend it out to the young crowd now. The kayaks are great for putzing around on lakes, creeks, rivers and oceans. Kayaks are like sports car boats. I love them. We figured out our solution for hauling our kayaks. If space were a premium I'd look at one of the many folding portable kayaks. Canoes and kayaks to me are best for non-motorized solutions.