of use, more like neglect, it was just left there...I would like to
make an offer. Do you think leaving it in the sun, setup, could damage
the hull?

Thanx, Bill

Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
Purchased a Foldcat this spring, 12' pontoon style boat. The wife and I love this thing, very stable the two of us can pick it up and move it around. Put a trolling motor on it and can fish all day.

Zugbug

Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Bill,

Did the current owner leave the bote in that position all winter as well? The hull is made out of material that resists UV, so that shouldn't be a problem. We have friends cruising on their sailboat in the tropics & they leave their boat folded on deck, uncovered, with no adverse effects to the hull (yet).

The botes are really meant to be stored folded - we have left ours open & hung on boat davits for a month at a time - at the end of the month, the gunnels are "bowed out." Once we folded the bote, it did flatten out again. We feel that the gunnels are a weakness from this perspective; on the other hand, it's the flexibility of the gunnels that provide the positive aspects of the bote.

Honestly, don't know if it would come back to "flat" if it has been left open for ?????? months/years. Perhaps more informed answers can be found by searching the Porta bote yahoo users group. You can also get an idea about the price of a used 14' as well.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight
Bill,

Did the current owner leave the bote in that position all winter as well? The hull is made out of material that resists UV, so that shouldn't be a problem. We have friends cruising on their sailboat in the tropics & they leave their boat folded on deck, uncovered, with no adverse effects to the hull (yet).

The botes are really meant to be stored folded - we have left ours open & hung on boat davits for a month at a time - at the end of the month, the gunnels are "bowed out." Once we folded the bote, it did flatten out again. We feel that the gunnels are a weakness from this perspective; on the other hand, it's the flexibility of the gunnels that provide the positive aspects of the bote.

Honestly, don't know if it would come back to "flat" if it has been left open for ?????? months/years. Perhaps more informed answers can be found by searching the Porta bote yahoo users group. You can also get an idea about the price of a used 14' as well.

Good luck on your purchase!
Yeah, he should have folded it flat...
Boat is actually listed w/broker (isn't that funny?!) so I have not been able to talk to the owner.
It appears to be 2005 model, so it is not that old...my guess, and the brokers, is that it has been stored on that rack, assembled, upside down, for a year.
I don't really see any damage, just a little deformation. I am also pretty sure that if I fold it up and leave it in the sun it will be fine.
I suspect the owner, owns one of the mega-yachts at the marina, may have bought the PB for a dingy? Didn't like it, and has pretty much forgot about it.I made a ridiculous offer today...we'll see what happens!

I did sign up for the yahoo group (s) but they don't seem real active? No responses yet after about a week...

Bill
Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #19
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
PB Update

Picked up the 14' PB the other day just before headin' North (5 days in NH-awesome!).

Wasn't prepared to take it with us just yet (no motor, etc) so I took the kayaks instead. But I really would have liked to try it up on Ossipee Lake. We rented a tin boat instead and had a ball.
Anyway, I went over the PB and everything looks fine. I left it out flat in the sun while we were gone and it appears to have straightened out. What a cool toy to have in our adventure quiver...the Wife, Son, and Dog will all be very comfortbale cruising around the lakes of New England.
Now I can have the kayaks, and a small power boat on all of our adventures!

For any of you considering one of these boats, they are very sturdy, stable, and of course, portable. What a perfect compliment to the AS.

Bill
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Congratulations Bill,

Sounds like a great addition. I know you have wanted one for a while.

Vaughan
Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
For all of you P-Boaters; I am looking at a couple of motors for my 14'.
  • 6hp Johnson 2 stroke (not much $), lighter
  • 8 hp Johnson 4 stroke (more $), efficient, quiet, heavier
Will the 6 hp be sufficient for the 14' with Wife-Son-Dog-Me?

Thanx, Bill
Old 08-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi Bill, I had a 12ft Aluminum boat a while back with a 4.5hp johnson. I thought that it was a bit slow. Great for trolling but terrible for just getting there. But then the PB is lighter I am sure. So maybe that would make a difference ? I personally would go for the 8hp. I am looking at getting a PB myself and I already have a 10 hp Johnson that I would use on it.

Also I don't know about your state but, when you put a motor on it Oregon requires licensing of the boat no matter what size it is. FYI
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi Bill, I had a 12ft Aluminum boat a while back with a 4.5hp johnson. I thought that it was a bit slow. Great for trolling but terrible for just getting there. But then the PB is lighter I am sure. So maybe that would make a difference ? I personally would go for the 8hp. I am looking at getting a PB myself and I already have a 10 hp Johnson that I would use on it.

Also I don't know about your state but, when you put a motor on it Oregon requires licensing of the boat no matter what size it is. FYI
Thanx Chris, yes I will have to register boat...

Bill
Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #24
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Transporting engine

All set up w/PB and 2 stroke 8 hp motor.
Wanted to know if anyone had some good ideas on a bracket for the bed of my pick up to store motor while travelling. Laying it down takes up lots of valuable bed space...

Thanx, Bill
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #25

1974 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Truck outboard mount

Bill,
I use a 2 wheel dolly that I mount my 6 hp 4 stroke Nissan so I can wheel it around without carrying the 55 lbs. that the motor weighs. Possibly you could use such a mount in your truck. Remember to always keep the power head of the motor higher in elevation than the lower unit. My Porta Bote is a 12 footer & the Bote is a little slow with the wife & 100# lab aboard. Also fishing gear includes a 30 lb. trolling motor & deep cycle battery. Weight wise, I'm at the limit of the capacity of the Bote. It's slow but I've got all day to get there. Talked to Sandy Kaye (owner of Porta Bote) & he says a 6 hp 4 stroke is max for a 12 footer. I also reinforced the transom with 2 inch aluminum angle for strength because the trolling motor is mounted on the transom. Tom.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #26

1974 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
I have a 2001 burb with a factory roof rack. The rack is rated @ 200lbs. capacity. I would like to carry a 13 foot American Eagle canoe upside down (43 inch beam & 73 #) & a 12 foot folded Porta Bote (24 inches wide & 73#) at the same time. The roof rack is less than 50 inches wide. The canoe has a square stern & ideally I would like to mount the canoe upside down on top of the Bote but the Bote is too wide in the stern to fit "inside" the canoe's square stern. Either I widen the existing roof rack to 70 inches with extensions or forget the canoe alltogether. We will be traveling 2-3 months at a time & I would like both watercraft along for fishing different impoundments. Does somebody make a modification to extend the burb's rack?
Thanks, Tom
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
You can go to www.yakima.com they will have a solution for the Suburban. Will most likely need mighty mounts and pipes.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Now that you are the owner, get it out of the sun, tarp, garage whatever, mine after 10 yrs of use only damage was from sun. the transom is half the thickness of the the hull and started to split, retired it as they only warranty the hinges for 10 yrs and couldn't answer me, when I asked how the hinge point of the hull break, slowly would be ok, fast would be catastrophic. Was the best dingy I ever owned. Could get it up on plane with 4 hp when by myself and flat water.