Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
In related auto news it looks like Daimler is finally giving up it's stake in Chrysler to allow the merger with Fiat.
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...ites-off-700m/

Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
...money saved from Pontiac, Saab, Hummer, Saturn would be pumped backed into the core products....look for GM to make a profit in 2010. I was shocked when Fritz said GM is reducing the dealerships by 42%..............toastie
It just might be a good thing for Saturn...of all of the GM products, I would most llikely purchase an auto from Saturn.

Could be the US will go back about one hundred years and wind up with a plethora of "mini-manufacturers"....

Now, all of you who voted for the Democratic Candidate last year please line up on the left....

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
...Could be the US will go back about one hundred years and wind up with a plethora of "mini-manufacturers"....
Given the regulatory environment of today's auto industry, I'm not sure anyone could start one. A reasonable argument can be made that it is easier to start an aircraft company.

Too bad, all the diversity was interesting. There even was a car company here in Little Rock: Climber Motor Corporation - Encyclopedia of Arkansas.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #60
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I took my licence driving test on my dad's 1964 Pontiac Laurentian (Canada model, but the same Big One the US had). Since dad never actually allowed me to drive it before taking the exam, I flunked parallel parking, but still managed to pass my test.

Some of you may remember those cars, they were about as big as Any car ever got, IIRC. A family of three could live in the trunk.

The space was Great for when I started dating...
Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The 1968 I learned to drive in was even bigger than a 1964, and it was positively slight compared to Dad's 73. The 60s and 70s cars were huge.

Oh, I got luck on the parallel parking part, a simple straight in. Dad had temporary added curb feeler for the occasion. Ugly, but effective.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
OOPS.. My 79 was a new Bonneville not a Catalina as I said in post #50...
Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #63
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
It just might be a good thing for Saturn...of all of the GM products, I would most llikely purchase an auto from Saturn.

Now, all of you who voted for the Democratic Candidate last year please line up on the left....
Got a friend who swears by his Saturn(s). Blew the engine through self described negligence and Saturn replaced it gratis! A born again Saturno...

Seems to me that this auto-bank-financial crisis began quite a bit earlier than within the last 100 days. Am thinking that because of it, that's why people lined up on the left... Hopefully, he'll have 8 years to fix what the last 8 broke.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Got a friend who swears by his Saturn(s). Blew the engine through self described negligence and Saturn replaced it gratis! A born again Saturno...

Seems to me that this auto-bank-financial crisis began quite a bit earlier than within the last 100 days. Am thinking that because of it, that's why people lined up on the left... Hopefully, he'll have 8 years to fix what the last 8 broke.
I agree 100%.. That last wizzard screwed up so much its like trying to repair a junk yard..GLAD HE IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #65
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Like most everything else, vehicles will increasingly come from overseas. From places where the manufacturing plants will continue to be powered by coal. Where workers get a living wage and that's about it. Where governments manipulate imports and exports to their own advantage. Places where people still hunger to advance.
Like steel, textiles, and electronics, goods always make their way to where production is financially easier. It's a global economy.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
Like most everything else, vehicles will increasingly come from overseas. From places where the manufacturing plants will continue to be powered by coal. Where workers get a living wage and that's about it. Where governments manipulate imports and exports to their own advantage. Places where people still hunger to advance.
Like steel, textiles, and electronics, goods always make their way to where production is financially easier. It's a global economy.

Tom
YES? And who buys this car...?? IT'S NOT AS GLOOMY AS YOU MAKE IT out to be...
You do control the bottom line...
SO, which is it?
What was your decision(where did you chose) to invest ?
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
about time

72% would buy an American car - poll.........about time

72% consider buying American cars - poll - Apr. 28, 2009
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Ive always bought American and always will!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #69
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Well, I have a different slant on this, maybe. There have been reports that the average UAW worker makes $70 an hour, when you count wages, LIFETIME benefits and so on. Last time I looked at my paycheck, I wasn’t making that much (not even close, actually). If the blue collar guys are making that much, logically, their managers must be making more, probably A LOT more.

So, I gotta ask myself. How many folks do I hang around with that make $140k per year? None that I’m aware of.

Oh yes, keep in mind that YOU, the TAXPAYER, are now paying these peoples’ salaries. The UAW guys and their managers, office workers, designers, executives and so on. It’s not just those “greedy” CEO’s that are overpaid. It is possible that maybe, just perhaps, this company’s business model is just a bit out of date?

There are 5 Fords in my driveway. They’ve been there for years. Take a quick vote; does anybody think that I’m going to buy a GM or Chrysler product just so I can keep a $70 an hour guy employed, especially since I’m already paying his salary thru my taxes?

Sorry to see another American company go by the wayside. But bankruptcy reorganization makes much more sense than MY MONEY propping them up by a moronic government that will only assist them in their ultimate failure.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #70
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The problems we are enduring now are the culmination of over a century of policies and decisions made by people on both sides of the political fence, and both sides of the corporate/labor table. There's blame enough to go around, including on each one of us, for our actions, or lack thereof.